Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Antenna inside foam plane ok ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Brian Elec 51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna inside foam plane ok ?

I noticed on their website that the Hobby Lobby guys were flying their P-51 without any of the antenna outside of the airplane.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/field_p51marie.htm

I like the cleaner lines, and was wondering if anyone else has flown with the antenna completely inside the plane and if they ever ran into any problems.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Qo40693.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	161302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18734.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	161303  
Old 08-06-2004, 08:47 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Antenna inside foam plane ok ?

Ordinarily I would normally suggest it is not the greatest idea. However If you adhere to a couple of precautions and circumstances then yes it can be done successfully.

In the past in RC pylon racing typically 12 to 14 inchs were left hanging out the tail of the aircraft and a frequent occurance was at the start a caller would have his knee on the antenna while giving the airplane a mighty shove when the flag went down. This resulted in the launched airplane trying to get by with little or no antenna left, You can imagine the results. In recent years it became the norm to have the antenna entirely inside the fuselage with nothing sticking out. These fuselages are not much longer than the airplane you picture. Now it is almost universal to completely bury the antenna if you are going to be competitive.

One reason this works is These airplanes as well as the small electric are never flown at the ranges of large airplanes. I would definately not use this method with the single conversion park flyer type receiver only a full performance receiver and a small one that has worked very well indeed in the severe vibration environment that pylon folks subject them to is the Hitec 555.

If you follow the link below it explains with photos and text just how it is done.

http://www.darrolcady.com/Racing_Inf...ch/Antenna.htm

John
Old 08-07-2004, 08:04 AM
Brian Elec 51

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Antenna inside foam plane ok ?

Thanks John, thats a great idea. I'm going to give it a whirl this afternoon. I don't thing the straw will add much weight to the plane either Thanks a lot for the link. [sm=thumbup.gif]

Brian