Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Servo question

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Hauntmaster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Servo question

I am not really a remote control guy, I am a prop builder. I am partner in the largest haunted attraction in the Pacific Northwest located in Portland Oregon.

My question is as follows: I have a servo controller board that hooks into a serial cable and controlled from a PC. This board will control up to 7 servos, which we are planning to use for a rather large prop in our haunted house this year.
So I need to know how long I can extend the cable that runs the servo? I am currently using the HITEC HS-945MG servos and need to extend the cable length on 3 of the servos about 10 foot each. I have spliced into the 3 (Red-Black-Yellow) wire and extended another one about 4 feet, but it seems to have degraded somewhat.

Does anyone have any suggestions on a better servo, signal booster, etc that would work so I can control the 10’ servos better? Or am I just imagining things in my 4’ length and extending the servo cable’s 10’ is ok?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.
Old 08-06-2004, 02:34 PM
mr.rc-cam

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Servo question

The 10' lengths should be fine (the drive impedance of those PC based servo controllers is usually better than a typical R/C Rx).

The power & Gnd conductors should be sized for the job. If your installation involves a harsh environment (lots of electrical noise) then a after-market R/C optoisolated servo buffer will take care of you.