RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

GWS Servos causing major problems

Old 08-07-2004, 02:48 AM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default GWS Servos causing major problems

I had a problem that was at first not a big deal. I used two 100oz torque GWS Servos in my Astro Hog, my son was flying and when he tried to do just a simple loop, it would snap on him. Never took anything apart to checkit out, kinda thought it was pilot putting in alieron with elevator. While assembling a new plane I decided to use two GWS SO3T BB serovs for the Elevator and Rudder. Both were 100oz torque and new. If I put in Up elevator the rudder would kick over hard right and the throttle would go wild. I remove all Receiver and still same problem. After removing and replacing the GWS servos with BB Futaba servos the problem disappeared and I have been flying with no problems since. I was talking with another R/C r today and he stated haveing similar problem. Has anyone experienced anytihing like this.
Old 08-07-2004, 06:33 AM
Peter Khor
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: GWS Servos causing major problems

You can go over to GWS's official forums and ask over there (forum linky at GWS's main site).
Old 09-28-2004, 01:31 AM
teamkx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Having the same problems with up elevator kicking the rudder, also one alieron servo flickers and the other is okay. I noticed the leads from the switch on the plane were melting. Tried varies fixes but nothing works. This servos are junk never had problems with futaba servos!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-01-2004, 09:29 AM
airega1
My Feedback: (204)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

READ THESE WORDS!!!!

STOP USING CHEAP***** SERVOS!!!!! it will only cost you more in the long run.
Old 10-01-2004, 12:15 PM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats funny I had the same problem with a Futaba servo. And it was not one of the cheap ones. In fact it cost $130.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:23 PM
memoryway
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There have been hundreds of thousands of servos sold by a different manufactured brands, rest assured that they have all had a share in the servo problem arena. The servo is the less probable cause of difficulties in the RC arrangement, yet if it's a low cost item then it stands out as a villain.
With the naked eye you can claim that the servo has not moved as commanded, what you can't claim is that your very sure that the servo is the culprit. That the switch is healthy, or that the servo extensions may be contribuiting or that the garage lights are in the way, are all unknowns that we simply ignor. Hence someone claims "yep my jiffy lube servo did that exact same thing I know cause I have two of them"

GWS servos are acceptable servos. They are among the youngest introduced to the market and have some excellent competion. They carry a reputation of lil bitty servos for the electric flying arena, not really suitable for the big guys. HUUuuummmmm bigger is better? So lets explore and give birth to larger and stronger and still faster servos. Futaba makes a very nice servo so lets introduce by cutting prices..........oh they now call it a cheap servo? Not a good thing here at home, thats why we don't go to Walmart , confused? Sure you are.

Guys I have seen Jets slam into the ground with the most expensive servos on board and so have you. There are guys that swear that money buys you insurance when what they really get is tolerance closure. Those fellers that run the high cost airplanes are also the guys that normaly have the most experience and are more technical or cautious in the setting up and checking, also in trouble shooting.

What we should all keep in mind is that this hobby is affortable to the average guy and that we all do not have deep pockets. High cost should not be the reason to leave the hobby or to take your lunch money for a servo. Taking reasonable precautions you will find that GWS/Futaba/ Hitec/ Airtronics Z all produce good equipment. The catagory of expenditure in any make equipment is personal. There is nothing wrong with the term cheap until you claim it's not what you have purchased.

Claiming fault should be accompanied with statistics and of statistics I can speak, for I have sold well over fifteen thousand GWS servos. The most commen complaint if I were to look for one, is that the torque filled the eye and the speed was not looked at then the servo is claimed to be slow. The so called slow servo is listed as .33 in speed, I have a GWS servo with a speed .10 if you like.........and by the way the .10 or .08 are also GWS high performance servos which can stand along side any other servos. Oh have I mentioned that I have Hitec too? There are some that sell for less than GWS.......I'm off to Walmart where they have everyday low prices.........(cheap).

Vic / servohut.com
Old 10-04-2004, 11:05 PM
WALKERS210-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Vic I purchased the four GWS servos from you - or your company. While I do not hold a degree in Electonics, I did manage to earn a very comfortable living doing electronic trouble shooting and repair for a period of around 20yr. GWS did return my email where I simply asked them (GWS) the same as I asked in the first post, Has anyone had similar problems. = Claiming fault should be accompanied with statistics and of statistics I can speak= It does not take a rocket scientist or a top salesman to do simple trouble shooting to locate and solve a problem. I did in in fact find the solution for the problems I was experiencing with GWS servos. (trash can). Hope you do well selling many more, and hope the problem was limited to only a few.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:40 AM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have bought and used quite a few GWS servos with good results. I would highly expect the problems were not directly related to the servos, more apt to be wire size, connector problems, excessive lead length etc. True, all brands of servos have had an occasional junker but, for the main part, I've seen many successful GWS servos being used in all size models, mine included.