RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Rx antenna + carbon = bad things?

Old 08-07-2004, 04:25 PM
kamakasi
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Rx antenna + carbon = bad things?

I am building a sailplane much like Dr. Drella's Allegro. After all the careful engineering I see that the Allegro has the rx antenna running inside the carbon tail boom. What's up? From what I have read this is a no no. Can some one say any different. On the plane I am building the antenna would not make it out the back of the plane. I am using a pull/pull rudder so I can't cut the antenna and solder it to the push rod. The elevator rod runs through the carbon tube so that's no help either. I hate attaching the antenna to the top of the rudder after exiting the fuse. So what's the answer, use an Azarr antenna or settle for a case of the uglies?

Thanks in advance
Old 08-09-2004, 11:16 AM
mulligan

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Rx antenna + carbon = bad things?

I don't know about carbon fiber rods, but I route my antennas within plastic rods inside the fuselage all the time (I use the plastic containers in which brass tubing is sold). If possible, you might put the plastic rod inside the CF boom to avoid rubbing with elevator rod.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:12 PM
JohnW
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the issue revolves around that carbon/graphite is weakly conductive. It is possible that a gausian box can occur, i.e. a RF shield. Place your antenna inside the shield and you will get no signal. But CF is a very weak RF conductor compared to say metal, but I suppose it is still possible.

I however have had no issue with CF and reception. I have a 2M ship that the entire front half is CF. Antenna is totally internal. No problems. I also have a another plane that is 100% CF, and 2/3 of the antenna is internal. No problems. But I have heard second hand of others that have had issues they suspected was related to CF.

Best bet, range check really well before flight.
Old 08-09-2004, 04:10 PM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Graphite is actually a good conductor, solid slabs of graphite are used in some electro-plateing operations because it's very difficult to dissolve in caustic sollutions.