RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio Range Problems?

Old 08-07-2004, 07:30 PM
DTB
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Radio Range Problems?

Hi, I bought a new Futaba 9C with an FP-R148DF RX and (4)3004 Servos on 01/01/03. I have flown with this Tx on all my models (9 models total, with a CAMPac) with no problems and have flown this Rx (FP-R148DF) with (5)3004 and (1)FP-S148 with no problems up until today (01/01/03 - 08/07/04). Now the plane shakes violent, then stops, then starts up again and cycles like this during a range check (Antenna collapsed @ 30-40 paces). NO changes to the plane have been done with no crashes also, but today (08/07/04) the Rx, Tx or servos are causing a problem. The plane has the same Futaba 3004 servos that came with the radio plus 1 extra 3004 and 1 FP-S148 servo. The antenna is routed inside the plane in a tube, but has been this way since the plane was built in early 2003.

Could the Tx, Rx or servos be causing this problem? Could the servos be getting old and producing interference and the Rx is picking up the signal from the servos. The servos have a lot of use on them by me.

Thanks for your help.
I did a range check at 25-30 paces before flying with no problems that I saw (Antenna Collapsed). I took off and flew around (antenna Extended), then the plane dove downward, I corrected and went around again and the plane's throttle jumped on it own. I was able to land and did another range check and noticed the shaking now. It shakes not as if another person was on the channel, but shaking violently. I left the Rx (plane) on with the Tx off to deteremine if there was intereference from someone else. The plane did not move it's control surface now, so I was able to rule out interference. I repeated a range check at home and it still showed control surface shaking and jumping with the radio's antenna collapsed at 30 paces. I checked another plane with a different Rx. This plane shook, but not a badly.

Please inform me of your thoughts.

Thanks for you efforts,
Derrick
Old 08-07-2004, 11:53 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Radio Range Problems?

What were the voltage readings on the batterys in the plane and transmitter?
Old 08-08-2004, 04:57 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would check to see if you have any problem with the transmitter. Range test or fly another plane. If all is OK, then your receiver (probably crystal or filter) is defective. If it is the transmitter I would send it in to Hobby Services. If it is the receiver, I would change the crystal then if it still does it, send the receiver into hobby services.
Old 08-08-2004, 07:56 AM
DTB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mstroh3961

What were the voltage readings on the batterys in the plane and transmitter?
Good quesiton, I had just arrived at the field and the Rx battery and Tx battery had been on the charger over night plus a small quick charge on the way to the field just to make sure that it was topped off completely.

I have a Hanger 9 DVT (Digital Voltage Tachometer) that registered 5.3V for the Rx and the Futaba 9C showed 10.8V on it's screen.
Old 08-08-2004, 08:59 AM
DTB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Geistware

I would check to see if you have any problem with the transmitter. Range test or fly another plane. If all is OK, then your receiver (probably crystal or filter) is defective. If it is the transmitter I would send it in to Hobby Services. If it is the receiver, I would change the crystal then if it still does it, send the receiver into hobby services.
I checked the plane again at home alone side another plane that has a Hitec Super Slim 8-Ch. The hitec Rx did shake some, but not like the Futaba Rx. I checked another plane that also has another Hitec Super Slim Rx which did fine at the same distance. No shaking

For testing purposes, I changed the Futaba Rx out with a Hitec 8 ch out of another plane and it still shook yesterday. I left the Hitec Rx in it over night.

This morning I got up and took the problamatic plane outside (with the Hitec Rx) and left the Tx inside the home. I measured the plane to be 64 feet (straight line) away from the plane with the antenna collapsed inside the home, inside a room closed off on the couch almost under a pillow and there was no shaking with the plane today. I put the Futaba Rx back in and now there is no shaking also. I took the plane outside and walked 54 feet away with the antenna collapsed and got some shaking, but I had to put the Tx in a certain location for the shaking to start. I may have been out of range with the antenna collapsed this morning for the small shaking. I extended the antenna and the shaking stopped.

The plane shook at the field yesterday and at home, now it is not shaking. I don't trust the electronics. Would you? I would rather have the Tx and Rx checked to make sure. I would rather loss a couple of days of flying for this instead of having to repair a damaged plane.

What are you guy's thoughts about this.

Where do you send the items to be checked?
Old 08-09-2004, 01:42 PM
mstroh3961

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

www.radiosouthrc.com

they have a fast turn around.
Old 08-09-2004, 10:11 PM
SLINGSHOT-RCU

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Had a plane do that . it was the throd rod tuching the muffler. Want hurt to look. hope you get it streat..
Old 08-09-2004, 10:55 PM
DTB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: SLINGSHOT-RCU

Had a plane do that . it was the throd rod tuching the muffler. Want hurt to look. hope you get it streat..
That is a good idea and I can see how that would cause problems. My motor's muffler is pointing upward and the throttle servo isn't close to the muffler.

I flew another plane yesterday with my 9C. The plane did fine. I flew several times with no problems. Do you feel the Tx is OK. I do feel more comfortable with the Tx now since using it with another plane. I felt no glitches of any kind while operating the model.

The plane with the questionable Rx is a Four Star 60 with a YS .91FZ (Glow power) which was modified to use dual elevator servos. So the plane uses 6 servos instead of 5. The Four Star 60 does use extensions on the ailerons only. The wing has 2 servos and each servo uses a 12" extention wire inside the wing to allow the servo connection to reach outside of the wing in the center. An additional 6" extension comes from the Rx to connect to the wing servos. I have always used this setup with no problem, but could this be a problem.

I guess it is also possible that I received interference from some other source. While I was flying I heard the throttle servo glitch and the motor sped up for a second, then the plane dipped downward, but I was able to react to the plane and correct it. I landed and turned off the Tx but left the Rx on. I noticed no surface movement and no glitches. So I am still suspicous of the Rx.

Thanks,
Derrick
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28397.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	162259   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18446.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	162260   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zf87720.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	162261   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ys50415.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	162262  
Old 08-10-2004, 12:55 AM
mstroh3961

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is that fuel filter..or is it a check valve... touching the engine? Any metal to metal contatct can cause RF. If you have a metal clevis in the throttle change it to nylon.

Good luck!

By the way thats a nice looking bird!
Old 08-10-2004, 06:15 AM
DTB

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: mstroh3961

Is that fuel filter..or is it a check valve... touching the engine? Any metal to metal contatct can cause RF. If you have a metal clevis in the throttle change it to nylon.

Good luck!

By the way thats a nice looking bird!
Hi Mark, The YS .91FZ uses a fuel filter and a one way valve, but I don't think they are touching the motor. The engine has a 4-strk throttle linkage setup. I am not using any clevis. The connection at the carb is a Z bend. I have flown this setup since the beginning. I will try to isolate the metal from touching the engine while in flight though.

Thanks, that is good advice.

I attached some photos.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54506.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	162302   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81262.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	162303   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sn41914.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	162304  
Old 08-10-2004, 07:40 AM
BBW Walt
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You might try unplugging a servo then trying a range check. Continue until you have checked out each servo, one at a time. I had a similar situation where as I was getting feedback from a bad servo. walt