Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

Interior installation of antenna in an Astro Hog???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Interior installation of antenna in an Astro Hog???

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2004, 09:22 PM
IAFF 21 Pipeman
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior installation of antenna in an Astro Hog???

I purchased a used astro hog from a club member which I saw him fly flawlessly and which I flew before purchasing it from him. When I went to install my gear into the plane I noticed there is not an exterior exit for the antenna. Something I never noticed the day we flew it. So, after installing the gear and doing a successful range check in the backyard I began to wonder if it is a good idea not to expose a portion of the antenna. Any thoughts out there? Any thoughts and/or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pipeman
Old 08-08-2004, 08:15 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Interior installation of antenna in an Astro Hog???

I do many antenna installations where the antenna barely exits the fuse and about the last 2" are taped to the bottom or side.

The trick with any antenna installation is to make sure a thorough (acceptable) range check is completed with the engine off and with the engine running.
Old 08-08-2004, 09:32 AM
daniel_cox

Balsa and ply are transparent to R/C radio frequemcies. The only time an internal antenna may have issues is if it is run next to a long servo extension. I use internal antennas in all my airplanes (including a dear departed Astro Hog) and have had no problems.
Old 08-08-2004, 01:10 PM
dabigboy

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like to keep the end of the antenna exposed, if for no other reason than to verify it's still where it needs to be (hasn't slid up into the fuselage, possibly reducing range). If you trust your mad antenna-mounting skillz then I don't suppose there's any real reason to not keep it totally inside the plane.

-Matt Bailey