Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

XM Satalite Radio and Pcm

Old 08-07-2004, 11:03 AM
hoverVT
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Satalite Radio and Pcm

Has anyone ever heard of getting interference from an Xm Radio? Last night I had my radio go into failsafe and the only thing that was different was the fact of an XM radio at the field in a truck but we didnt get a chance to test hte theory because We thought of it after we got home with the rubble.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Tim_Indy

Default RE: XM Satalite Radio and Pcm

Seems far fetched to me, because I'm thinking the XM radio is a RECEIVER, and doesn't transmit a signal of its own.
Old 08-07-2004, 08:35 PM
hoverVT
My Feedback: (14)

Xm does receive but then transmits to 88.9 on you FM radio and if you don't beleive this park your vehicle next to or within 500' of a vehicle with a XM radio and you will be able to listen to what they are listening to. It may be far fetched but I was just curios if anyone had similar experience
Old 08-08-2004, 05:33 AM
Tim_Indy

Ok, learned something, that it's similar in aproach to my car's cd player.

Still don't think it's an issue, as regular FM radio ststions broadcast on that same band with much stronger signals with no effect on our frequency band. The XM radio's transmit must be relatively weak if it's range is only up to 400 feet as you said.

Man, I HATE these unsolved mysteries.
Old 08-09-2004, 01:32 PM
dcairns

ORIGINAL: hoverVT

Xm does receive but then transmits to 88.9 on you FM radio and if you don't beleive this park your vehicle next to or within 500' of a vehicle with a XM radio and you will be able to listen to what they are listening to. It may be far fetched but I was just curios if anyone had similar experience

That would only be true for aftermarket XM installations that use an FM RF Modulator to re-broadcast the XM signal to the existing car stero. It is possible and preferable to hook the XM receiver to audio inputs on the car's stereo to avoid sound degration caused by the FM RF Modulator.