RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec HS225MG -- any good?

Old 08-10-2004, 06:28 PM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hitec HS225MG -- any good?

Looking at the specs for the Hitec HS225MG, it appears this servo is small, torquey, fast and relatively light.

They look like they might be good for a light .40-powered 3D/funfly machine

Is anyone using them and if so, what are your experiences?

I've gone ahead and ordered some anyway (I can always use them as throttle servos or throw then in a trainer for the club if they're crappy).
Old 08-11-2004, 08:09 AM
SMALLFLY-
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hitec HS225MG -- any good?

I think you will find mixed experiences. I use them on an OMP profile edge and they have done well. I have beat the inner plastic gear up on the rudder servo by banging the tail a little to much. I think you have to keep in mind with smaller servos come smaller motors and smaller gears and even though the torque rating is impressive you have to be a little more mindful in your usage.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:10 PM
VinceL

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mixed reviews is right. I can give both sides of the coin. I have them in my OMP Edge and they do fine, small, light, fast, at the right price. Having said that I went through heck getting a set that worked correctly for me. I had two fail right out of the box. One entirely failed on the bench and the other would twitch intermittantly. I sent them back to Hitech and had bad results when they returned. Bought 2 more only 'cause the plane was already set up for them. No issues with the new ones. I have flown the profile a bunch and they all still work great. I also have them in another plane that has almost no time on it. If I were doing it again I don't know if I would go this route or not. I was very frustrated, on the flip side they are working well now. Maybe I got a couple of duds.
Old 08-11-2004, 06:54 PM
Don M.
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have 4 - MG ones and will never buy another one. They never center properly, I'm always retrimming the plane and they have developed real big time gear slop in about 100 flights. On the other hand I have 8 - non MG and they are OK on small aircraft, no more than a .40 size. As an experiment after you hook them up, grap the control serface with the power on and you can overcome the torque of the servo with very little pressure.

I will not use them on a control surface on any plane larger then a .40 size ever again.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:18 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I use them on the elevator of my 1/3 scale Fly Baby bipe. They fit nicely in the stab. so I could make the tail removeable without unhooking the linkage.
The only trouble I have had is I broke one of the plastic gears banging the tail on a door of my motor home.
They work fine for me.