Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Really Stupid Idea

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 11:48 AM
famousdave
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Really Stupid Idea

Have you ever run across a tip that you thought made sense... then tried it and it was the dumbest freakin idea you have ever seen?? Well, I have one..

LOCTITE of any kind on metal gear servos (i.e. to retain horn screws)

I don't remember quite where I read the tip (maybe the GS forum) anyway - I use loctite on a lot of stuff so I though - sure - why not the servo horns on metal gear servos... seemed to make sense. I used the green stuff, which supposedly has a much lower hold rating than the blue or red... WRONG.

Well - I should have listened to my experience which says I have not had a single horn screw come loose in many years of flying - so why use it... but no, I didn't listen.

3 destroyed output gears on the three HS5945s in my left wing panel later and I learned why one NEVER puts any kind of loctite (even the low hold green stuff) on metal geared servos..

The screw heads strip way too easily leaving no way of removing the screws.. and yes, I am using a good screwdriver.

Unless you plan on never removing the horns ....
DO YOURSELF A FAVOR - Loctite is a STUPID, STUPID Idea on metal geared servo horns!!!!!

Frustrated... got half a wing I can't adjust now and I'm down for 4 days while I wait for parts..

DP
Old 08-15-2004, 12:50 PM
bentgear

Default RE: Really Stupid Idea

DP, my experience is a little different in that I have had screws back out of metal geared servos. Now I use just a tiny dot of blue loctite and it works fine. No problem getting the screw out, but it holds up to vibration. Two other things that have worked good for me is fingernail polish (your choice of color ) or a little dab of silicone sealer.

Ed M.
Old 08-15-2004, 02:07 PM
Bass1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wonder if anyone has a trick to remove the servo arm screws after loctite is used. Maybe a low heat soldering iron applied to the screw before trying to remove? I remember a guy that used high temp red on his muffler screws and couldn't remove them. Then someone suggested to run the engine up to temp and then remove. It worked, but it still wasn't easy. Of course, who knows what kind of damage you could do to the servo applying heat to the screw. That could be another " really stupid idea".
Old 08-15-2004, 02:20 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can heat the screw with a soldering iron and the screws will come right out. If the screw head is already stripped, try cutting a slot with a Dremel tool and using the soldering iron and a strait slot screwdriver.
I use a dab of Goop, or silicone on top of the retainer screw on my M/G servos. That way, I can remove the screw at the field if needed.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:38 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

I have had good luck when using it sparingly. Use it on anything from scope mounts to servos, just don't use to much(red). As stated before applying heat helps break it loose.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:54 PM
blkbird68
My Feedback: (19)

I used the green stuff

I hope you weren't using the green sleeve lock!!!!
Old 08-15-2004, 07:18 PM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

A few tips on Loctite, and colors of loctite...there are MANY MANY kinds and colors...

The best kind is this "Red" kind (#222)

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/lo...id=19&layout=3

the "Blue (242)...this is the small screw, removable kind, but 1/4" screws or larger...

http://www.loctite.com/int_henkel/lo...id=19&layout=3

There are also "Wicking" grades, and also "Retaining" types..these are for bearing assembly...if you use these on a small screw, it will take heat to get it off...

The best thing you can do when using Loctite on a servo screw, is to use a Socket head Cap screw...allen keys offer much better quality than the junk screws t hat come with these servos...they are 2.5mm x 8 mm long...

Hope this helps..
Old 08-15-2004, 08:11 PM
famousdave

Now there is a tip that finally makes sense!!!!

I will get some allen screws ASAP.

DP
Old 08-15-2004, 08:15 PM
Bruce Rolfe
My Feedback: (37)

Hey DP,
Snowborders have the same problem with there bindings. We have found that a small amount of silicone sealant placed on the screw threads works wonders. I haven't had a problem yet.
Bruce
Old 08-20-2004, 11:49 AM
famousdave

Bruce, CDI - thanks.. those tips worked great. I used Allen Head servo screws and a small blob of PFM (instead of silicone) , and that definitely did the trick!!

DP
Old 08-20-2004, 09:11 PM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

Awesome.. I love allen head screwa...i really hate slotted screws,lol.. Glad I could help..