Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

ANYONE STILL FLYING SINGLE STICK

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2004, 07:27 PM
ronwc
My Feedback: (404)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ANYONE STILL FLYING SINGLE STICK

When I satrted flying RC in the mid 60's, the radio's were not very reliable. By the late 60's and early 70's (pre-Futaba) the radio's got better and Kraft, EK, Orbit, Proline, RS all came out with single sticks. By the mid to late 80's they were all gone. You don't see too many now days. Here are a few of mine that I'm still using. I also fly a 2 stick Futaba Super 8, but these SS are nice -
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17701.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	158423  
Old 08-03-2004, 03:15 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: ANYONE STILL FLYING SINGLE STICK

There are lots of single stick radios available today. Mostly they are 2 and 3 channel radios. I think you are refering to something else.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:30 PM
rminsk

Curtis Youngblood uses a custom made single stick setup on his helicopters.
Old 08-03-2004, 09:49 PM
ifixairplanes
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

look for "THE PIPE", he chimes in every now and again on the forums. he uses them. i think he calls them knobbys though.

sean
Old 08-03-2004, 10:13 PM
TLH101
My Feedback: (90)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A friend just recently gave me a near new Airtronics "Championship Series" 7channel single stick. It is an AM set, complete with receiver, servos, ownwrs manual and original carton, but has never been narrow banded, so its not legal. I dont know if it works, as it has no batteries.
It is pretty cool though.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14587.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	160410   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18789.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	160411  
Old 08-03-2004, 10:43 PM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Dont let the Pipe see that! He will want to work it over with a new RF deck and put it to work!
Old 08-04-2004, 09:46 PM
Jim OHaver

I continue to believe that SS is a more natural way to fly, with all primary flight controls in one hand. I know I fly better and more confidently on SS than on Mode 2, and lament the passing of the SS radio.
JGO
Old 08-05-2004, 05:13 PM
The PIPE

Default I'm still KNOBBY-ing....<;^)))))))))))))))))))

Dear RonWC:

The PIPE here...and from MY famous FIRST post here at RCU, way back at http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/Buil..._302053/tm.htm , you HAVE to remember...

I am a TOTALLY DEDICATED KNOBBY FLIER!!!!

I WILL have to admit I've NOT been flying since last September, mostly because of my need to help my mother around the house since my VERY disagreeable second stepfather passed on last October, AND from the solar glare-caused crash of my "Swizzler" (Balsa USA Swizzle Stick 40) a month before.

The repairs on my Swizzler are ALMOST completed, and after I get my mother's new cable TV wiring out to her newly enclosed back porch up by the end of THIS weekend, I'll be BACK to finishing up the repairs of my Swizzler...my mother has been on a bit of a "home improvement BENDER" the last few months, and getting back to RC has been a bit TRYING at times...!!!

But my first MicroStar knobby radio DOES stand at the ready to start flying my Swizzler once more, with an FMA (nowadays it's from Jensen Jet Models) RF deck in there on Ch.03...the two FMA Quantum-8 receivers I've got for that radio STILL have to be encased in the plastic cases I got for them...but be assured, as one of MY favorite seasons of the year approaches...a NEW ENGLAND AUTUMN...my Swizzler will be banking and looping over the skies of my club's ( http://www.wingbusters.org/ ) RC field once more in Halifax, MA USA!!!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!!!!
Old 08-22-2004, 10:28 PM
Clipwing
My Feedback: (7)

Default RE: do you still fly single stick radios)))))))))))))))))))

add me to the list of of those who currently and actively fly single stick radios !! I started with them back in '74 when I bought a Kraft 4 channel (that I still have but don't use)--then I broke my piggy bank and bought a '76 series 7channel with the replacable channel plug-ins--I still have and occasionally fly this radio, the Kraft units were excellent only to be outdone by Pro-line--THEN I purchased THE BEST of what I call early conversion radios--the Airtronics Championship 7PS radio--it has early end point , dual rate, coupleing, servo reversing, and expo and a case that wasn't Too big and filled your hand nicely..and I have flown them continuous since I bought my first in '83 . I also own 1- 2 stick system that was bought to fly helo's and has done some double duty when I thought I wanted to learn 2 stick flying --that excursion into the 2 stick world lasted about 3 weeks---and I went back to my SS radios.
Futaba and JR also put out SS units-but I have no experience with them.
Pipe is right it's the only way to fly and sadly not enough people discovered that before the manufacturers decided to drop the single sticks from their line up!! More power to Hitec and Futaba (is that right) have brought out the 2 & 3 channel single sticks---Hey guys---go one channel further and you may spawn a whole new generation of SS/Knobby fliers-------it's a very easy, comfortable, and natural way to fly !!!! anyone fly flight Sims ??? a lot of their stick units have 3 axis on the stick just like our R/C SS sytems--did have !!!
BRING 'EM BACK !!!!!!!!!!! PLEASE !!!
Old 08-24-2004, 08:26 PM
feihu-RCU

Been flying Single Stick since the early 70s, and still at it today.