Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Flapperons

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 07:47 PM
motor710-RCU

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flapperons

Thanks for all of the help with the flapper-on set-up. Since I am new to planes but not to heli's can you tell me what the purpose of the flapper-on is for? If I have the flaperons up, how will that effect the flying for the plane. I assume if they are down that would assist in landing and taking off and give the plane more lift.

If the flapper-ons are up, will that cause the plane to fly slower and still maintain altitude? I have a Big Stick 60 and I am transitioning to this plane. I want the plane to fly slow and steady. Could some of you experts explain the purpose of the "Flapper-on"? I also have a JR 8103 radio.

Thanks for the help.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:05 PM
Lee Belew
My Feedback: (2)

Default flaperons

Texas is a big state. what city are you in. I am in Houston.
easier to explain on the phone.
Lee [email protected]

Flaperons are ailerons that act like flaps and ailerons at the same time.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:09 PM
canuck4ever
My Feedback: (4)

Default Flapperons

My limited understanding of Flaperons mean that each aileron has its own servo and when Flaperons are activated, both ailerons are lowered equally providing more surface for the plane to fly slower on. Then, when turning, ailerons now use the new lowered position as their center and individually lift/lower from this new position. Final outcome is that it decreases landing speed and can improve acrobatic performance depending on stunt.

I'm in the process on building a new low wing level and have been searching on how exactly to install flaperons as I would like to build these (servo mounts) in the wing.

More info or a link on how to do this or wire them would be appreciated. Web search did not lead to much.
Old 07-28-2002, 08:24 PM
motor710-RCU

Default Flapperons

Thanks for the info, I live in the Dallas area, Lee
Old 07-28-2002, 08:26 PM
motor710-RCU

Default Flapperons

So the ailerons have to be lowered as flaps so the plane will fly slow and steady? Is that the gist..
Old 07-28-2002, 08:36 PM
canuck4ever

Default Flapperons

That's my understanding also, then there's the issue of using spoliers instead of flaperons.

Try this link http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...ight=flaperons

I did a "flaperons" search in RC Universe and came up with a bunch of stuff - more than in a web search anyway..
Old 07-28-2002, 08:45 PM
Lee Belew

Default flaperons

send me a PM with your phone # and I will call you on my cell. I do not pay extra for in Texas Calls.
Old 07-28-2002, 11:34 PM
AtomHeartMother

Default Flapperons

Hmm...depends
Flaperons in the "up" position are commonly called spoilerons or spoilers.
A spoiler creates drag while diminishing lift. So with spoilerons deployed you should see your plane sink and slow down. The size of a plane makes a very big difference with flaps and spoilers. It's easy to program too much deflection in either. This can cause the plane to balloon and lose elevator sensitivity in flaps and cause a rapid drop and possible wing stall in spoilers. Mind you, both flaps and spoilers can stall a wing if used improperly. Most .40 sized planes are loaded so lightly that with big strip ailerons, really balloons the plane when used as a flap. 10 degrees deflection is more than enough for a flap in this situation. Same goes for spoilers. Heavier planes with warbird like wingloading really benefit more for landing purposes. Sometimes both are used on funfly type planes for enhanced aerobatics. So if you want it slower..spoilers won't help..flaps will. But really throttle management is the key. And I won't mention the pluses and minuses of crow functions ;-)
Old 07-29-2002, 02:49 PM
MinnFlyer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Flapperons

Flaperons...

Usually a plane with flaps has 2 control surfaces on the wings, ailerons, and flaps. The ailerons control roll axis, and the flaps increase lift and drag for slower stall speeds at landing.

All that flaperons are is one control surface doing the job of two. when you give the comand for flaps, instead of a second control surface lowering, the ailerons lower themselves acting as flaps. They still work as ailerons, they are just working from a different angle.

Here's an easy way to think of it

Picture a low wing plane with a standard "torque tube" aileron setup, only instead of having the aileron servo bolted to the wing, it is attached to a sliding rail. The sliding rail is controled by a second (flap) servo (see pic).

When the flaps are dropped, the flap servo pushes the aileron servo, which causes BOTH ailerons to drop and act as flaps. By giving aileron commands, the ailerons will still function as the usually would, they are just in a lowered position. (Note, this setup would also work for spoilerons, or elevons for a flying wing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	19340_7722.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	23.5 KB
ID:	12146  
Old 07-29-2002, 05:09 PM
Lee Belew

Default Flaperons

MiniFlyer
That is an excellent illustration. I now use a programmable radion. I use to do it this way. I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate your illustration. It is encouraging to see someone do an excellent Job.
Lee
Old 07-29-2002, 06:35 PM
MinnFlyer

Default Flapperons

Thank you Lee. I take back all the bad things I ever said about Texas.
Old 07-29-2002, 11:24 PM
garye

Default Flapperons

MinnFlyer,

Your explaination & illustration are wonderful for Newbies like me! I do understand the aerodynamics & mechanics of Flaperons, but the illustration really drives it home. Is the 'sliding rail' system commercially available, or does each person design and build their own? Thanks.
Old 07-31-2002, 03:10 PM
MinnFlyer

Default Flapperons

There are some that are commecially available, but it's so easy to make one that you might want to give it a try.

Here's how to do it:

Stack 4 hardwood blocks and drill two 5/32 parallel holes through them (a drill press comes in handy for this).

Take the two middle blocks and enlarge the holes to 3/16

Take 2 pieces of Nyrod about 3 1/2" long and CA a piece of music wire (pushrod wire) completely through them

Now put two pieces of outer nyrod through the two holes that you enlarged and bolt a servo to the two blocks. Then CA the outer Nyrod to the blocks, and trim them off at the ends of the blocks.

Slide the stiffened Nyrod through this "carriage" and secure each end into the two outter blocks with CA.

Viola!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	19562_7722.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	31.7 KB
ID:	12147  
Old 07-31-2002, 07:11 PM
garye

Default Flapperons

MinnFlyer,

Thank You Very Much! Two illustrations for the price of one. Actually, I would like to save them for future reference. After I get somewhat proficient at flying(spelled 'don't crash everytime), I'm sure that flaps or flaperons will be high on my to-do list - just for fun.
Old 07-31-2002, 07:15 PM
MinnFlyer

Default Flapperons

Flaps are really fun with the right plane. I have a GP Ultrasport that is VERY fast, but drop the flaps and I can walk next to it!