Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HELP - Crash Landing in a Pool!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2004, 09:12 PM
jtheobald

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP - Crash Landing in a Pool!!!

I managed to land my ParkZone Piper J3 Cub in a pool near a park. I hopped the fence and retrieved it quickly, and as I pulled it out, the electronics seemed to go haywire. The motor started spinning full throttle (transmitter was off) and the servos locked up. It's drying outside right now, but I'm worried it might be too late. I plugged the battery pack back in, and the motor spins for a few seconds before dying, and the servos seem dead. [:@]

Is there any way of testing/fixing the receiver? Has anyone ever gotten their receiver/speed controller wet?

Thanks,

Jason Theobald
Old 08-22-2004, 09:02 AM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: HELP - Crash Landing in a Pool!!!

Little late for this warning now but maybe it will help someone else...

ALWAYS remove ALL POWER SOURCES (batteries) from anything that gets wet ASAP. Disassemble everything that's practical and for the most part, just let it dry throughly and completely before reassembly. When it dries, it should be fine.

As a general rule, water won't permanently damage electrical components, believe it or not. What damages them is our inate curiosity to see what happens when we apply power to them while they're STILL WET. LOL
Old 08-22-2004, 07:50 PM
jtheobald

Good news. It seems everything is ok. Although the receiver and speed controllers were dry, I was sort of impatient and didn't let the water dry on the inside of the brushed electric motor. After the motor dried out, everything appears to work. Thanks for responding to my post!!
Old 08-22-2004, 08:13 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to hear it Jason.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:41 PM
Lynx

You'll want to take the motor apart and clean it and oil all the physical junctions just to make sure you don't have problems in the future with it.