RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 9C Syn Module-Post Pulled from "Futaba Support" Forum

Old 08-25-2004, 11:59 AM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Futaba 9C Syn Module-Post Pulled from "Futaba Support" Forum

I knew this would happen but I still want this out there so I'm going to post it again here for all to see. Following is the original post in its entireity without the emotions which I do not remember them and their exact placements:

I try to stay outta this forum because they're pretty possesive about what's said in here but I have to state this because it is FACT and because I believe it weighs directly into this comment.

When I bought my 9C back in Oct of last year, I was PROMISED that the synthesizer module would be available and ship in Dec 2003. Then Feb/Mar 2004 time-frame. I bought my 9C TOTALLY based on this. Otherwise; I would have bought a 9Z to begin (I have bought one now. ) with since my applications demanded synthesization.

Vaporware if I've ever seen it. I've heard "...in 30-60 days, just be patient..." from my LHS since Feb of this year. He gets his info directly from Great Planes. How do I know this? Because I've been standing right there EVERY time he's called, that's how.

So far, the synthesizer module for the 9C/72 is the biggest farce I have ever seen in this industry. A back-door marketing campaign targeted squarely at the consumer who probably wouldn't buy a $1200 9Z but would clearly buy a ~$450 synthesized radio if one was available.

Where's the beef? I'll believe it when and IF I EVER see it. Based on almost a year of total frustration and being outright lied to, I believe one would be well advised to buy a 9C ONLY if one went under the assumption that a synthesizer would never be available and if it ever did, it would simply be a bonus.

BTW, the info being fed to me by my LHS was not unique to him. I have watched exactly the same thing happen right here in this forum. Wanna know what I'd REALLY like to hear from Futaba and its reps? I'm gonna tell you anyway. LOL

"We're done with the module. Have been for almost a year. We're waiting on FCC approval and it's just a painstakingly SLOW process. We apologize and hope that we will get final approval to ship the module soon." (i.e. It really IS out of Futaba's control.)

Hmmm... Just my guess but my bet would be that the above is about the closest thing to the truth that any of us have seen yet and mine's just a hypothesis from a total outsider. As a loyal and HEAVILY vested $$$ Futaba customer, I believe I deserve to know the truth about what's going on on something as important as this instead of the typical "blah, blah, blah 60 more days, blah blah blah". Tell us WHY please. You let the cat out of the bag a year ago. That's not our fault. We're generally understanding people (RC'ers) when we're given the facts.

I bet Futaba has learned one great lesson out of this though. I bet this is the LAST time you will ever see Futaba let the cat out of the bag on something this significant. Don't expect to hear about anything else until it SHIPS. Wish they would have done that with me. I'd still be happy with my 9Z and wouldn't have pi$$ed the money away on a 9C that I didn't need.

Glad I got that off my chest. I've been wanting to since February. If what I have said upsets the Futaba support staff here, it's not directed at them and they have misunderstood what I have said. My apologies for improperly conveying myself if this is the case. It has nothing to do with Bax or Krysta except as it relates to their professional relationships with Futaba. It upsets me as a consumer to keep being promised "next month" when it's long since become blatently obvious that next month is, apparently; never coming.
Old 08-25-2004, 12:51 PM
Hughes500E
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Futaba 9C Syn Module-Post Pulled from "Futaba Support" Forum

Sounds to me like you have been mis-lead by your friendly Local Hobby Store owner that knows more about trains than the 9c he had on his shelf
PS
I believe some guys are running the Hitec Synthesized modules in there Futaba radios with great success [X(]
Have been for awhile now.
Old 08-25-2004, 04:46 PM
WilsonFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Hughes500E

Sounds to me like you have been mis-lead by your friendly Local Hobby Store owner that knows more about trains than the 9c he had on his shelf
PS
I believe some guys are running the Hitec Synthesized modules in there Futaba radios with great success [X(]
Have been for awhile now.
Read the Futaba forum here. It wasn't just my LHS.

BTW... I had a LONG thread here about a year ago about the Spectra module in the 9C. I've done it too. I don't anymore. There are a thousand legitimate reasons not to not the least of which is liability in case of an accident. Do a search. There have been several threads just like the one I started.
Old 08-25-2004, 07:30 PM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Twas the same with Multiplex...I waited a year and finally got a 9z. I do think the sloth like government process does have something to do with it + the testing the waters to see if they are interested factor!!!
Old 08-25-2004, 09:26 PM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How come Hitec appear to have been able to get their new Optic 6 transmitter built, tested and certified in far less time than it's taken to get approval for the Futaba synth??

Something smells there :-)

Why doesn't someone simply whack a Hitec Spectra module into a Futaba transmitter and submit it for FCC approval themselves -- that would effectively cut Futbaba off at the knees and make everybody happy.

I'm sure once that Futaba saw many of their customers snapping up Hitec's synth, they'd suddenly find renewed enthusiasm for getting their own one out the door :-)

There's even a mod been posted for getting around the problem that the Hitec/Futaba combination has with some DSP-based receivers now so FCC approval/certification seems to be the only thing stopping most fliers from going that route.
Old 08-26-2004, 06:15 AM
WilsonFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: XJet

How come Hitec appear to have been able to get their new Optic 6 transmitter built, tested and certified in far less time than it's taken to get approval for the Futaba synth??

Something smells there :-)

Why doesn't someone simply whack a Hitec Spectra module into a Futaba transmitter and submit it for FCC approval themselves -- that would effectively cut Futbaba off at the knees and make everybody happy.

I'm sure once that Futaba saw many of their customers snapping up Hitec's synth, they'd suddenly find renewed enthusiasm for getting their own one out the door :-)

There's even a mod been posted for getting around the problem that the Hitec/Futaba combination has with some DSP-based receivers now so FCC approval/certification seems to be the only thing stopping most fliers from going that route.
That's a good question. Why don't you take care of that for us? LOL

Seriously; it has baffled me for months why Hitec themselves haven't done this but I wouldn't even begin to know who to ask the question to that I could get a straight answer from.
Old 08-26-2004, 04:16 PM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: WilsonFlyer
That's a good question. Why don't you take care of that for us? LOL
Because I don't have a Futaba transmitter :-)

Seriously; it has baffled me for months why Hitec themselves haven't done this but I wouldn't even begin to know who to ask the question to that I could get a straight answer from.
I think the answer to that is a no-brainer: Hitec would rather sell complete transmitters with the Spectra module than to boost Futaba's sales by making the Spectra (legally) compatible.