Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Good TX for plane or heli?

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 10:05 AM
chickfisher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good TX for plane or heli?

I have been racing offroad cars for several years, but I am looking into getting a plane or heli soon. I do have a good LHS that has a guy that knows his stuff about planes and helis, but I would like to get some more opinions. He is suggesting a JR 6102 transmitter, which he says is great for either planes or helis. I have had problems when listening to the LHS though since they REALLY want to sell what is on the shelf, no matter what it is. I guess the question is, what radio to get? I do not need the ultimante $1000 transmitter, but I would like to get one that will last me for several years. I hate buying something, just to need something better in a few months!

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-27-2004, 10:50 AM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default RE: Good TX for plane or heli?

I would recommend the Futaba 9C. The radio comes in two models. They are configured differently for the heli version v.s. the plane version, but they can be switched to fly either. If you are going to fly Helis most, get the Heli version or vice versa if you think you'll fly planes mostly.

Between the two models, there are only a couple of switches placed differently and the plane version has a ratcheted throttle. Other than that, the radios are identical and can be switched to fly either helis or airplanes (or sailplanes).
Old 08-27-2004, 01:36 PM
chickfisher

Being that I know NOTHING about RC things that are in the air, are there any features that I should be looking for (ex. ratcheting throttle... whatever that is)?

Thanks
Old 08-27-2004, 03:00 PM
Jim Schwagle
My Feedback: (1)

Heli radios have a ratchetless throttle. I would recommend the 9CH. If you're going to fly helis at all, buy a heli radio. Airplanes are much less demanding of the radio and any major brand heli radio will fly planes fine.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:03 PM
joeb102072
My Feedback: (9)

9CAP Planes and helis it will do both I recomend the CAP not the CAF. You can take the ratchet out if you really get hardcore into helis. And you wont break the bank on it. VERY VERY Nice TX.
Old 08-27-2004, 05:11 PM
rhd-RCU
My Feedback: (36)

I would also get the 9CH. The switch placement is different. This is much more impotant in hellis than planes.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:01 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

The ratcheting throttle "clicks" (sort of) while you move it up and down. This is a bad thing if you fly helis since there in essence steps in the motion which is bad when trying to hover.

Definitely get the "9CH" version if you'll be flying helis. Again, for planes or helis, it doesn't matter which you get. The difference is just in switch placement and throttle ratchet. Considering you can assign any switch to do almost anything, the placement will not affect you one bit.

As far as 9CAP or 9CAF, that is up to you, but has nothing to do with Heli v.s. Plane. The "P" comes with a PCM receiver and different servos. Both radios, though, will say either 9CAF or 9CHF on the case. The P is only on the box to designate PCM (which, by the way, you can switch to and from on either radio.... it's just the P comes packaged with a PCM receiver.)

In case you're really confused by now, go to you local or online hobby store and order a 9C. All your problems will go away!
Old 08-28-2004, 09:45 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The 9CH is also recommended if you are going to fly full house sailplanes, which is why I bought it.

Here is an article bout computer radios that will tell you about the important features and issues.

http://www.rcezine.com/cms/article.php?cat=&id=65
Old 08-29-2004, 01:26 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

From what I am hearing, it sounds like the JR 9303 will be as good as the Futaba's. Not to start up a Ford vs. Chevy thing, but it will be something to consider. I would wait awhile and get all the radio's in your hands before deciding to buy either. Very expensive stuff!!!

If you are just getting started, I would recommend the Futaba 7 or the JR 6102. These will have as much programming as you could use for several years at a much lower cost. I have a 10X and the 6102 and I prefer flying with the 6102. I dont need the fancy pro-class bells and whistles in my old age...

I know from experience that the 6102 comes with a smoothe rachet in the box so you can swap it out if you want. I dont fly helicopters often, but I prefer the smooth rachet for airplanes. I just crank the tension screw down snug so the throttle does not move too easy when I am giving rudder.

Hope something here was helpful...
Old 08-29-2004, 07:10 AM
JL1
My Feedback: (93)

I believe the Multiplex Evo handles both planes and copters. I have the 9 channel and am very satisfied with it.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:35 AM
chickfisher

I really appreciate the input that you have all provided. I spoke with some other people in my area and it does seem that the 9C (in all of its variations) are very popular. That makes it very attractive since I hate being the only one with something. I could definately use all of the programming help that I can get, so it would be nice to have a radio that is very common.

You have helped me make up my mind.... the 9C it is!

Thanks again!!
Old 08-31-2004, 08:25 PM
fiveoboy01
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: MHawker

Both radios, though, will say either 9CAF or 9CHF on the case.
Actually, the Tx will say 9CAP or 9CHP on the case, as they are all switchable between PPM and PCM depending on which type of Rx you are using.