RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

replace battery 9ZAP

Old 08-27-2004, 07:53 AM
martin18152

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default replace battery 9ZAP

I just recently purchased a 9ZAP WII. The radio came with a wimpy 1100 NiCad TX battery. I use a 2000 NiMh pack my other radio. I took the battery case apart on the 9Z, and noticed that it had a small circuit board, not sure what it’s for, did not take it out and look at it. I did notice that it uses a special removable pin connector. Does anyone know the part type or manufacturers part no. for the connector? Has anyone eliminated the circuit board and simply connected the positive and negative poles to the special connector. I have a feeling that this board interfaces with the battery test and warning system, and possibly provides the diode voltage protection, and if you remove the board, you will get a continuous battery warning sound. If I can’t build a basic pack using just the connector, I may be forced to just take the futaba pack, and replace the NiCad pack with NiMh cells. I did a forum search on this subject and found one post that directs you to radio south, but couldn’t find any product related to the futaba pack. Has anyone replaced the NiCad batteries with High capacity NiMH and how did they do it?
Old 08-27-2004, 08:37 AM
rm
My Feedback: (27)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: replace battery 9ZAP

Try this

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=333
Old 08-27-2004, 08:54 AM
huey-pilot
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: replace battery 9ZAP

I replaced the packs on both of my 9ZAP's with 1600 nimh batterys, you just remove the screws that hold the battery case together, remove the battery pack and replace with the new battery pack, it seems like the factory battery pack was glued to the botton of the case. You will have to do some soldering, the battery wires are soldered to the circuit board. If your battery pack has heat shrink covering you may have to remove the heat shrink before it will fit inside the case. This is also a good time to jump the battery diode so you can discharge the battery for a capacity check, this information is available at http://www.siriuselectronics.com/fut9zd.htm