Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

HAM 6 Meter

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 04:24 PM
rare_bear
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HAM 6 Meter

Range of course is the inverse square as you mentioned.

So for the cost of a new battery, you get increased range, period. I know guys that would cut off their left one for a little increased range, so this is a good confirmation.
once again... to summarize....

i measured a 1.3x increase in RF output power by increasing the battery from 9.75 to 12.75 volts.

this CORRESPONDS to a distance increase of a 1.14x - not very much at all.

is it worth it? i dunno.

here's a little table:

1.5x power gets you 1.22x distance
2.25x power gets you 1.5x distance
4x power gets you 2x distance
16x power gets you 4x distance

etc...

Old 11-08-2005, 04:35 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

If I could bottle magic dust that gave a 15% increase in range I could sell it at the basin for 100 bucks a bottle, all day.

A lipo TX battery will do the same thing for maybe 60 bucks? A bargain!
Old 11-08-2005, 04:41 PM
rare_bear

okay

and yur welcome....
i was most interested in this experiment myself
(thanks goe for brining it to my attention)

now on to the potential 6 meter problem of mullhullanhd drive............................
Old 11-08-2005, 06:51 PM
BasinBum
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: rare_bear

okay

and yur welcome....
i was most interested in this experiment myself
(thanks goe for brining it to my attention)

now on to the potential 6 meter problem of mullhullanhd drive............................
Wait a second! Check post #26
Old 11-08-2005, 07:49 PM
rare_bear

ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh..... but me me me hear it from goe before you[sm=lol.gif]

(post #27)

got a yaesu vr-500 a few weeks ago.... just what i need to fry my brain.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:52 PM
taildraggerdave

Good info.
Old 11-08-2005, 09:36 PM
GoeKeli
My Feedback: (18)

Very good work Paul! I can't thank you enough. I agree with Richard, give him credit for wanting to know this. I am about to start flying even more expensive and faster models and want to know all I can about getting a strong RF link. I'd like to know how the local flyers closer than 3 miles are affecting us at the basin.

Atta Boy Rarebear!

Joe Kelley
Old 11-08-2005, 10:02 PM
mr_matt

ORIGINAL: BasinBum
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=3373819
Old 11-08-2005, 10:06 PM
rare_bear

I agree with Richard, give him credit for wanting to know this.
i hereby give richard full credit for being part of this chain of events.

I'd like to know how the local flyers closer than 3 miles are affecting us at the basin.
me too
Old 11-09-2005, 01:05 AM
mr_matt

me too. I hope those guys post soon so we can get some dialog going.
Old 11-12-2005, 02:39 PM
BasinBum

ORIGINAL: CFIMEI

Hi,

This may not be the right thread in which to post this but here it is: I and several other retired electronic engineers have formed a casual group of slope sailplane flyers. We snoop aroound various local topography to find flyable spots. We have found several fairly useable spots off of Mulholland Drive above Encino/Sherman Oaks. Most are useable on the south side of the ridge during typical Valley weather when the wind is 140 to 160 degrees magnetic & sometimes the north side is OK when the Santa Anas are blowing from the north. Looking at the Thomas guide a couple of the better spots are just within the 2 to 3 mile distance from Sepulveda Basin that AMA recommends for avoiding mutual interference by those on the same frequency. It would be difficult to coordinate the use of channels on our sites versus the Basin & we really haven't seen the need - yet.

We are all holders of Extra & Advanced Class Amateur licenses & use homebrew synthesized Tx modules on 50 Mhz. All our gear is well within the specifications of FCC regulatons for six meters but could not be considered truly "narrow band". This is not a problem for us as, being synthesized, depending on how many of us show up to fly, we can usually select channels doubly spaced apart to avoid shooting each other down. Sometimes we will be on all even (00, 02, etc.) or all odd (01, 03, etc.) & with with a max of four pilots this works for us. From our most often used site we can see the Basin below quite clearly but without optical aids we obviously can't see the freq flags in use on the rack.

To date I don't think that we have encountered any spurious hits on our slopers, some of which are foamies & tolerate midairs & collisions with the ground pretty well anyway. When flying to the south our planes are somewhat protected from Basin radiation (if actually present) by the ridgeline itself. Flying to the north, toward the Basin, is riskier for us as there is nothing but air between the two flying sites & our planes get closer to you guys as they get farther away from us. But this only happens when a north wind is present & not too gusty--not too often. Flying south our antennas are oriented so as to reduce emission in the direction of the Basin but in the other case they will present a possibly stronger radiated power level below.

I have built a 50 Mhz scanner that I think most of the guys in the group will eventually copy. This will be used before we first fire up for a session to check which freqs are "hot" at the Basin & then choose our channels accordingly, for mutual benefit. Once we get into combat though, not much further monitoring usually happens & we will just take our chances. Many times slope sailplanes are airborne for much longer than the 15 minute courtesy limit (so faithfully observed at the Basin?) so monitoring there is also adviseable.

If, in the future, it should become apparent that there is any verifiable & seriously objectionable "cross talk" on 50 Mhz between these sites then we should pool our considerable technical skills as Hams & engineers to resolve any such issues amicably.

CFIMEI
Here is a copy of a PM I just sent to CFIMEI:

Maybe we should do a little testing for interferance. I could listen in on whatever channels you guys are using with a handheld while at the field and we could coordinate via cellphone. What do you think?

Richard (323)***-****
Old 11-14-2005, 07:08 PM
Floater-RCU

Guys I am currently flying 72 MHz and am interested in changing over to Ham but know nothing about it. I have all JR radios and several brands of receivers. What all is compatible and what isn't. Any help you can give is appreciated.
Thanks,
Floater.
Old 11-15-2005, 08:32 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BB,

Looks like that guy realized his faux pas and di-di'ed out of here. Or perhaps you're talking with him back-channel? If not...

Concerns like yours have kept me from making the switch. There are people who use ham bands who are NOT legal, don't show up on the FCC registry, and therefore are a hazard. I found one of these guys right at my own club. He's been flying "renegade" on 50 mHz for YEARS. He told me he never goes to contests or other fields, so its okay. Right. If I thought it would do any good, I'd rat him out. But I gotta wonder who else around here is doing this???

I'm not having any trouble on 72mHz (yet), so I'll stick with it a while.
Old 11-15-2005, 09:31 AM
rmh

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rat the ******* out !
We had a local putz who also flaunted his use of Ham frequencies
So , one of the guys simply turned him in and by lightly calling in a favor -- had the FCC at the offender's doorstoop.
That put a stop to that .
Locally , with the advent of even more dial a crash radios and $29.95 ready to go 72 freq radio/plane and all setups -- I wouldn't fly 72 on a bet .
The "honorable " offer (and follow up)to replace a plane which gets shot down -is a thing of the past .
So 53.xxx is the thing for me -still
My foamies are all going to 2.4 spread spectrum in a couple of weeks .
KA7PON

the best defense is a good offence
Old 11-15-2005, 10:54 AM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Floater-RCU

Quick answer to your question. I am assuming that you have your hame ticket, if not that is the first place to start. With JR radios any transmitter that has a module can be put on 50 mhz. You simply buy the module for the channel you want to use from Horizon or elsewhere. As for receivers, you will have to buy new. Receivers cannot be re-tuned to 50 mhz. JR has a number available and you can also get small receivers from Berg and FMA. Hope this helps.

Rich
AD9V

---------------------------------

Wyoming Wind Festival Jan 1 to Dec 31
Old 11-15-2005, 11:19 AM
Floater-RCU

Yes Rich it does help and that you for answering!
Floater
Old 11-15-2005, 11:41 AM
BasinBum

Steve,
I am trying to contact him so we can do a little testing via cellphone and handheld unit to see if we pick up his signal or vice versa. I don't think he is on here all that often so we'll just have to wait a bit. I also don't think they fly very often either but that is no solution.

As for rougues on HAM...the guy at your field still put up a flag didn't he? If so it's no reason for you to not go HAM but hey, if it ain't broke.....

I'm less concerned about rougues at my field than newbies that show up and don't even know about frequency control, it happens all the time at our public field.

I would happily rat out a rougue flyer who doesn't have a ticket. Could someone give specifics on how you would go about it assuming you knew the guys name.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:41 PM
iflyj3
My Feedback: (7)

ORIGINAL: BasinBum
I would happily rat out a rougue flyer who doesn't have a ticket. Could someone give specifics on how you would go about it assuming you knew the guys name.
Go to http://qrz.com/ and click on database on left of the page. You can then search several ways.
If you have the call sign it can be entered on the home page.

Easy way is the ask him for his call sign. If he stammers or studders, you have an immediate answer.
If he gives one, then look it up.

Note, this data base is not an FCC data base and it may be possible that it may be incorrect or someone may not be in it. However, it is pretty good.
Old 11-15-2005, 03:31 PM
modeltronics
My Feedback: (27)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are testing between two flying sites using a hand held receiver with you standing on the ground holding it, this is not the same signal as what a receiver antenna in a model would see way up in the air. The higher the receiver the longer the line of sight.

As far as guys flying on 6m without a ticket..... if a club allows this they are allowing someone to break the law. Also I would bet that the AMA insurance would be no good also. Just as the AMA insurance is not good if you change crystals in a 72 MHz transmitter.

Last...I have brought this up before and it is not the most popular thing to bring up...
There are many Hams that have no idea we fly on 6m (or just don't care). I have heard communication going on in both sections, 50 and 53 MHz. If propagation is good during the VHF/UHF contest I know there will be communication in our section of the band. There is no law that they can not use it, just a friendly agreement. I do fly on 6m but I know what the band conditions are before I go out flying. I do use something more than a hand held receiver with a rubber duck to check the band conditions.

73 DE
KA9DNO Pete
Old 11-15-2005, 05:22 PM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

ORIGINAL: modeltronics

Last...I have brought this up before and it is not the most popular thing to bring up...
There are many Hams that have no idea we fly on 6m (or just don't care). I have heard communication going on in both sections, 50 and 53 MHz. If propagation is good during the VHF/UHF contest I know there will be communication in our section of the band.
KA9DNO Pete

Another reason I hesitate. I overheard a table full of guys discussing this contest at a breakfast eatery one morning. Apparently, the idea is to make as many contacts as possible in a given period of time, and they're all over the bands. I asked if they used six meters, and the answer was a prompt "You bet!"

As for the guy outlawing on six meters in my club; I am a state trooper, and happened to run across one of the local FCC guys at the federal court house not long after I made the discovery. I mentioned the situation to him, and his face went slack as soon the words "radio control model planes" left my lips. I've seen that look innumerable times on the face of a public servant; probably worn it myself a time or two. It means "I don't believe you're bothering me with this inane BS. Please go away." That's why I made the comment above... "If I thought it would do any good..."

Sorry if that offends you licensed hams, but I find it difficult to understand why some of you get so incensed over this, yet seem to shrug off their fellow operator's stepping all over a band supposedly reserved for another use. Yes, I realize one is legal and the other is not. Big deal; the principle is the same. Marijuana is legal in Oregon; its still recreational drug use to me, legal or not. IOW, you're a dope head.

Now... how was THAT for thread drift???
Old 12-24-2005, 09:19 AM
mrd

Hi guys.

I have looked at all the posts on this thread. Very interesting reading........
I started flying RC in 1957 at 11 years old. I do not remember the fq that was used ( age thing ). In 1970 I built my first 50 mhz RC radio (Heath Kit) and flew it for a number of years. The only problems that we had then was the RCVRS would de-tune because the slugs would move with vibration ( bad deal ). Then I had Kraft and now Futaba. One of the best latest thing that ever happened to our hobby was narrow band operation!
I fly at the local airport and the boys that work "field day" set up only a block away which is about 2/10 of a mile. They operate all bands at the max power permitted. I fly on chan 04 and I have never had any problem with any "hits". Other members of the RC club do not fly on that day just to play it safe. The key to being safe if to check the tuning on all RCVRS and the XMTR at least yearly and never fly a crashed RCVR even it it still works and seems good.

A note to the State Trooper........ I do have an issue with " non hams " flying on 6 meters. When I got my first "ticket" ( excuse the pun ) my dad put me on a train by myself for a four hour ride to the exam center in Chicago. I then had to walk six city blocks to the federal building, take the code and theory tests,walk back to the train station,wait six hours for the train,then the four hour ride home.
Then I had to wait for five weeks to find out if I passed the test. By the way, I was only eight years old then.
For us "old timers" and all the those that care about the law....we do care about being legal!
I went on to get my Extra class,First Class broadcast and became an electronic engineer. Now retired at 59.

Good job on the posts guys!

KUØI