Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

programming futaba 9c

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 08:51 AM
Brylee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default programming futaba 9c

How do I set up switch G to give me three position flaps (up, middle and
down) when using channels 5 and 6 for flaps. Thanks
Old 08-31-2004, 12:47 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: programming futaba 9c

I need to research this with my manual and transmitter. Maybe a Futaba Rep will have a quick answer for you. In any case, I think we need a little more information from you. What are your other servo assignments and what mixes/functions, if any, are you already using?

Channel 6 is the default flap channel so the minimum you need is a mix 1:1 with channel 6 and 5. You then need to assign flaps to the the 'G' switch. I think the rest of it is a matter of different mixes with different switch 'G' positions associated with a set deflection. Middle switch position being no deflection, Up switch position being flaps up to a percentage of throw, and switch down being flaps down to a percentage of throw.

The actual programming may be as simple as below, but I haven't tested it: (NOTE, the guestimate programming below assumes your flap servos arms are connected either both inboard or both outboard. If your servos are not set this way then make PMIX #1 rate +100%)

PMIX MASTER SLAVE LINK TRIM SWITCH POSITION RATE OFFSET
1. CHL6 CHL5 ON OFF ANY NULL -100% 0
2. OFST CHL6 ON N/A G CNTR 0% 0
3. OFST CHL6 ON N/A G DOWN -40% 0
4. OFST CHL6 ON N/A G UP +40% 0
Old 08-31-2004, 01:05 PM
Brylee

Jim
I have the flaps on switch G now but I can't seem top adjust the first down flap position electronically. I can get the second flap poisition adjusted using end points. It's the first position that I can't adjust electronically. Is this possible or do I have to do that manually.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:40 PM
Krysta

Hi Brylee,

To set up this up on a three position switch for your flaps you are going to have to do an Offset mix.
First go into your Aux channel and make both channels 5 and 6 active on your 3 position switch. Then go into an available PMix, make the Master Offset and the Slave Flap on your 3 position switch in the Center position. Set your rates where you want them (say 50%). Then do a second identical Pmix but this time the 3 position switch will be in the down position with more rate set (say 100%). Do not turn Link on in either of these mixes.
Once you have Flaperon activated, you may need to adjust your Flaptrim to give you the correct movement you will need.

Let me know if this helps you.

Sincerely,
Krysta
Lead Futaba Customer Service and Programming Technician
Old 08-31-2004, 02:11 PM
Brylee

thanks
Old 08-31-2004, 03:11 PM
hilleyja

My 1st introduction to AUX -- it essentially replaces my first two PMIX recommendations. My subsequent PMIX recommendations essentially echo Krista's directions.

If I understand Krista correctly she/he is giving you procedures to establish a multiple step flap, eg, position 1 setting (UP) 0% flaps, position 2 (center) 50% flaps, and position 3 setting (down)100% flaps. Is that what you want because originally you were just asking how to go down flaps, zero flaps, and up flaps? These instructions also assume you have the end points adjusted so that 100% flaps is at the proper maximum flap deflection, which is usually only about 40% of the airlon deflection.

BTW, are we talking about a bird that has separate flaps or is it set up in a FLAPERON (this is where the airlons move like flaps) configuration? I'm assuming separate flaps but did notice Krista mentioning FLAPERON.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:12 PM
Brylee

That's what I want---three position flaps up, middle and full down. Sorry for the confusion
Old 08-31-2004, 03:25 PM
hilleyja

Semantics will get me all the time. Of course, your are referring to traditional flaps where all deflection is down from neutral. My 1st understanding is you were looking to deflect up from neutral, be at neutral, and deflect down from neutral, which is windbreak and flaps.

With that understanding my original programming recommendation would be changed to:

3. OFST FLAP ON N/A G DOWN +50% 0
4. OFST FLAP ON N/A G UP +100% 0

I will still test this this evening and get back if it is not correct.
Old 08-31-2004, 03:33 PM
Brylee

thanks very much
Old 08-31-2004, 07:12 PM
hilleyja

OK, I played with it and played with it and played with it. I could not get it to work PERIOD.

OBSERVATIONS;

1a.) Executed PARM:RESEST
1b.) Assigned chl 5&6 to switch G in AUX
1c1.) Moving switch from up to center, servo moves about 45%, each servo opposite
1c2.) Moving switch from center to down, servo moves another 45%, each servo opposite
2.) Set PMIX1 ACT, MAS:OFST, SLV:FLAP, LNK:OFF, SW:G, POS:CTR, RATE:10%
3.) Set PMIX2 ACT, MAS:OFST, SLV:FLAP, LNK:OFF, SW:G, POSWN, RATE:20%
4.) Leaving SW-G in UP, I connected the servos so flaps are neutral
5.) Move SW-G to CENTER and the flaps deflect about 45 degrees, each servo opposite
6.) Move SW-G to DOWN and the flaps deflect (try!!!) another 45 degrees, each servo opposite.

NOTE: I don't understand the programming above and reviewed the subject in my Radio Programming Futaba's 9CA, by Harry Higley. According to the section on OFST programming the above should work but it only assumes one channel is assigned to the function.

Krista,

I believe I have duplicated your instructions but have set the rates to 10% and 20%. How does the above programming deal with the mix between chnl 5&6? You mention FLAPERON and FLAP-TRIM, but they only work between channels 1 & 6. There is some definite confusion here and I tried many different PMIXING approaches to no avail. I can, without difficulty, get chnl 6 to work by itself -- just couldn't get chnl 5 to go in sync with chnl 6.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:05 AM
Brylee

Jim
thanks for your help. I couldn't work on it last night. I hope that Krista can respond.

Again Krista what I am looking to do is three position flaps not flaperons. That is neutral, middle, full down. I have assigned channnels 5 and 6 to switch G but cannot get the middle position adjusted electronically. When I go to the middle switch position the flaps go about 70% then 100% in the full doown switch position. The full down I can adjust by end point but the middle I can't seem to find out how to adjust.
Old 09-01-2004, 09:35 AM
Krysta

Hi Guys,

Okay, after rereading all of this, I think I understand better what you are trying to do Brylee.

Let me go try this again for you.

First do a Pmix from Offset to Gear, with Link On, Switch G Center Position, and your rate at 10%.
Next do a Pmix from Offset to Gear, with Link On, Switch G Down Position, and your rate at 20%.
Third do a Pmix from Gear to Flap, link Off, and the switch Null. Both rates should be +100%.

NOW go into your Aux Channel and Null out both channels 5 and 6 to prevent any accidently movement from a different switch being hit and this sounds like this is what you want.

Again, let me know if it works. If not can you please give me your channel assignments?

Thanks, Krysta
Old 09-01-2004, 09:38 AM
Brylee

I'll give it a shot tonight. Thanks
Old 09-01-2004, 01:38 PM
hilleyja

I'll also give this a shot tonight.

It is interesting that we are to null out the AUX programming. I was beginning to think last night that that is what caused most of my problems -- it seamed that no amount of PMIX rate setting effected the degree of deflection the AUX programming imparted onto the control surfaces.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:55 AM
Brylee

ok I am nominating myself for the stupid award. I cannot for the life of me get this flap programming done. And now I have another question. I am using channels 1 and 7 for seperate airleron servos because the DP cub I am assembling requires more up then down. So my question is this----- in the Ail-Dif mode can you also get dual rates and if so how? or is there another way of doing this?
Old 09-02-2004, 01:36 PM
hilleyja

SUCCESS!!!! This time Krysta's directions were close but still not on the nail. Slaving FLAPS to GEAR does not work in this scenario (I don't know why; it just plain did not work) so you have to have a separate PMIX for each servo and each flap position.

You need a total of 4 OFST Pmixs:

1). AUX CHNL -- set channel 5 & 6 to null (this is very important)

2.) PMIX #1

a.) Activate the pmix
b.) set master to OFST
c.) set slave to GEAR
d.) set link to off
e.) set switch to G
f.) set switch position to CENTER
g.) turn on RX; start with G Switch in UP position; make sure channel 5 servo connection to surface is neutral (adjust arm and clevis); set G Switch to CENTER and adjust rate to a value that equates to the 1st position of your flaps, e.g., 20%

3.) PMIX #2

a.) Activate the pmix
b.) set master to OFST
c.) set slave to FLAP
d.) set link to off
e.) set switch to G
f.) set switch position to CENTER
g.) turn on RX; start with G Switch in UP position; make sure channel 5 servo connection to surface is neutral (adjust arm and clevis); set G Switch to CENTER and adjust rate to a value that equates to the 1st position of your flaps, e.g., 20%

4.) PMIX #3

a.) Activate the pmix
b.) set master to OFST
c.) set slave to GEAR
d.) set link to off
e.) set switch to G
f.) set switch position to DOWN
g.) turn on RX; start with G Switch in UP position; make sure channel 5 servo connection to surface is neutral (adjust arm and clevis); set G Switch to DOWN and adjust rate to a value that equates to the 2nd position of your flaps, e.g., 40%

5.) PMIX #2

a.) Activate the pmix
b.) set master to OFST
c.) set slave to FLAP
d.) set link to off
e.) set switch to G
f.) set switch position to DOWN
g.) turn on RX; start with G Switch in UP position; make sure channel 5 servo connection to surface is neutral (adjust arm and clevis); set G Switch to DOWN and adjust rate to a value that equates to the 2nd position of your flaps, e.g., 40%

I also use the above programming approach with FLAPERONS; the only difference was the selection of channels (1 & 6) and activating the FLAPERON function.

Now to your other question, which is simpler to answer: When you activate Ail-Dif the two servos are automatically linked and dual rates and digital trim for airlons will work normally. There is nothing special you have to do in your programming. Once you activate the AIL-DIF function you adjust the endpoints of each servo so that max deflection down is less than max deflect up -- there's your differential. No special PMIXs are needed beyond the AIL-DIF function and subsequent endpoint adjustments.

BTW, the main reason I have stayed on top of this thread is because I'm planning on doing an 83" OV-10 Bronco project his winter. The OV-10 Bronco has inboard flaps, separate from the outboard airlons. I will be configuring her almost the same way you are configuring your bird.
Old 09-02-2004, 01:38 PM
Brylee

Jim thank you muchly
Will try this tonight