Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

GWS Servos

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2004, 09:33 PM
tommy157
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Servos

Anyone have opinions on the Metal geared servos from GWS?
Old 09-05-2004, 11:14 AM
shemp

Default RE: GWS Servos

I haven't used their metal geared servos, but have had lots of trouble with their other servos. I have had several crashes due to servos going bad in flight. I know several other people who have had the same problems. They have been electronic failures, not mechanical, so having metal gears wouldn't help. I have given up on GWS servos. I have also had problems with the recievers as well. They seem to go crazy in flight from time to time. They just don't have good noise immunity.

Shemp
Old 09-08-2004, 12:41 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I have been using the smaller GWS servos with no problems so far but I don't think I would put them in a high stress application which is what metal gears says to me.

I can't say there is anything wrong wtih them. No failures, nor issues, but they just give me impression of not being as strong as the Hitec servos, which is the other brand I use. I run HS-81 MGs in the wings of my full house sailplane with good results. Flaps take a beating. So far not problems with the HS-81s.
Old 09-09-2004, 07:26 AM
Chillybee
My Feedback: (3)

I've used their single and dual conversion recievers, standard and nano servos in gliders and powered planes. The only problem I've ever had was stripping the gears from time to time when crashing my Zagi into rock slopes. But as for actual failures in flight, none at all. Balsa Products has been selling another servo called the BMS-380MAX Micro Servo which has metal teeth and 57 oz of torque at 4.8 volts. That should solve the problem of stripping gears once I stick them in my Zagi.

Chillybee
Old 09-09-2004, 07:33 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chillybee

The only problem I've ever had was stripping the gears from time to time when crashing my Zagi into rock slopes.
Chillybee
I have HS-81s in my Full house sailplane for rudder and elevator. I stripped the gears on landing a little to tail first. When I replaced the servo I added a servo saver and have not had a problem since. Too small to fit in a tight space, but should fit in a ZAGI wing.

http://www.servocity.com/html/servo_savers.html