RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

expo

Old 09-10-2004, 10:51 AM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default expo

I have had my new radio for a couple of months now and I have been using + 50% expo in both low & high rates on most of my planes. Is this close to what everyone is using or is this to much expo on low rates
Old 09-10-2004, 11:03 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: expo

Its all a matter of personal preference. Since your using Positive Expo, I assume this is a JR Radio. If its a Futaba, it should be Negative.

I have planes where I like 15-25%, and planes that I like 60-80%.

What kind of plane is it?
Old 09-10-2004, 11:08 AM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

gnirwin,

It all depends on the type of plane. High wing trainer types don't need much, if any at all. On other types, such as an Edge or Extra, 50% expo is not uncommon. On my aerobatic planes on low rates I typically start at about 35% expo on the ailerons and elevators and maybe 15% on the rudder. On high rates bump that up to 50% and 20%. On 3D rates (if I have them) its more like 65% and 25%. This is how I program the radio for initial flights. After I fly the plane I make adjustments as needed.
Old 09-10-2004, 11:08 AM
smokingcrater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

depends entirely on the plane. most of the ones I use it becomes active around 40% and if you run over 70% you might need to reduce throws some instead. so yeah 50% is within the normal range, at least for what I use.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:13 PM
gnirwin
My Feedback: (25)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's the new JR 6102. I have set up dual rates on all my planes and adding expo. I am learning as I go along. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Also I have been mixing airlerons and rudder 25% on most of my planes, is this the percentage you use?
Old 09-10-2004, 12:42 PM
CRFlyer

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As everyone here so far has mentioned, it depends on an number of factors such as the plane, and your comfort level. My preference is when possible to not use expo. I do use it once in a while if a plane is really hot, as the expo can give a little smoother control around your stick centers.
Old 09-10-2004, 01:50 PM
huey-pilot
My Feedback: (17)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I quit using dual rates after I discovered expo, I set the control throws the maximum that I will need and then adjust the expo so I can fly the airplane without overcontrolling.
Old 09-11-2004, 11:26 AM
Highflight
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: huey-pilot

I quit using dual rates after I discovered expo, I set the control throws the maximum that I will need and then adjust the expo so I can fly the airplane without overcontrolling.
Absolutely.
With Expo, you get the advatages of Dual Rates ("soft" control when you want it) but with none of it's disadvantages (limited throws).
Once I started using Expo, and taking the effort to tweak the values exactly where I want them, I quit using Dual Rates altogether.

About the only time I see a reason to have Dual Rates at all anymore is for brand new beginners where they have a tendency to "hammer" the sticks and use them like "on/off" switches. But once they settle down and get over the shaky thumb syndrome, even newer pilots do much better with Expo.

Highflight
Old 09-13-2004, 10:14 AM
smokingcrater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i quit using dual rates the day i discovered expo also! dual rates are an accident waiting to happen. either you will hit the switch at the wrong time or try to pull out of a maneuver on low rates. bye bye plane!