RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

6 channel radio pick?

Old 09-15-2004, 05:24 PM
ChrisAttebery
My Feedback: (15)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 6 channel radio pick?

Hello,

I'm getting into planes after racing boats for 12 years. I've picked out a plane (SIG PT40) and motor(OS 46). All I need to do is get my radio choice finalized. I have used Airtronics radios most of my life but I have some Futaba experience too. I'd like to stick to one of these brands. I'm not sure what type of flying I'm going to get into yet. I think I'll probably stick to sport or a scale plane like a AT-6. I don't see myself getting into highly technical aerobatics.

I've narrowed my search to the following:
Airtronics:
VG6000 $169
RD6000 $249

Futaba
6EXA $179
7CAF $239

It seems like the VG6000 and 6EXA are pretty much a wash price wise. To me the extra channel on the 7CAF seems like the winner on the higher end. There are so many features on these radios that I'm having trouble deciding what I might really need in the future. I could really use some input on this.

Thanks!

Chris
Old 09-15-2004, 06:34 PM
CP140

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 6 channel radio pick?

My vote would be for the RD6000... cause that's what I've got! It does have the advantage of being able to change which "shift" it transmits, so it would give you the flexibility of using other manufacturer's receivers.

On the other hand, I've seen one of the Futaba radios and it is a very nice radio with some nice features.

I know you said you wanted to stick to Futaba or Airtronics, but have you considered either of the Hitec radios... the Eclipse or the Optic? They have the ability to both change which shift they transmit and change frequencies using plug in modules. Something to think about....although having looked at the manuals for these two, the programming doesn't seem to be quite as intuitive as my RD6000.
Old 09-16-2004, 08:54 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 6 channel radio pick?

I like the 7C - I bought the 9C, the big brother.

Here is a review of the 7C
http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=321

What kind of flying do you plan to do?

Do you expect to be using 4 servo wings or 2 servo elevators? If you do, you need to step up a class of radio. The ones you listed don't handle these advanced configurations very well.

If yes, look at the Futaba 9C