Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Good radio for scale planes???

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 01:37 AM
HHjul

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good radio for scale planes???

I just sold my old Futaba Skysport 4, now looking for a good radio system for scale planes to serve me a very long time. I still have some Futaba servos etc. so staying on Futaba is a good idea. All I fly is scale airplanes: Cubs, bipes, warbirds. No multi-engines, no sailplanes, no aerobatics, no helis.

I don´t want to spend my money buying fancy features I never need. All I need is ultra-reliable and simple "heavy-duty" computer 7+ ch radio system, good enough for scale contest use.

Please tell me some good options. Thanks.
Old 09-18-2004, 11:50 AM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Good radio for scale planes???

The Futaba 9C is pretty hard to beat! They usually have a street Price of $269.00 for the TX...
Old 09-18-2004, 02:18 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Look and see what features you really need. WIth scale I would definately look to the ability to slave rudder to aileron ....on and off at will. Warbirds = retracts and flaps. Expo might be nice if you are used to it. The 9C is nice but you may not need all of those features.....compare it to the 7C. With the 9C is the ability to program 8 different planes, if you have enough receivers on the same channel.
Old 09-19-2004, 03:19 AM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The Futaba 9C is a fantastic radio at a great price, but you have not given us a budget.

Do you plan to fly any advanced aerobatics where the flaps are tied to the elevator, twin servo elevator or flaps as extensions of the ailerons?

If yes, the Futaba 9C is a great investmet and probably the right radio.

If no, the Hitec Optic 6 and the Futaba 7C will probably give you all you are likely to ever need.

Will you need retracts? flaps? Bomb Drops? Canopy open? Bombay doors? all these things need channels.

If it is basic A/R/E/T and retracts,

The Hitec Flash 5 and Futaba 6 EXA might be plenty for you.

You really haven't given us much to go on.
Old 09-19-2004, 01:01 PM
HHjul

Hi,

Thanks for replies,

My budget is big enough for 7C/9C, so I think I could give 'em a go... but...

I´m a kind of newbie in scale planes, all planes I´ve had so far are Graupner´s Taxi II trainer (3-ch.) and GP Cub 40 on floats. Now I´m building Sig´s 1/4 scale J-3 Cub, converting it to PA-18 Super Cub with flaps, so I need at least 5 channels. I sold my old Skysport because of only 4 channels in it, now selecting a new one is not an easy task. After finishing the Super, I will start building a 1/4 scale L-4 Grasshopper, gonna spend a LOT of building hours to make it a real scale masterpiece for competition. After the Grasshopper... I don´t know. Maybe some kind of biplane from late 30´s, Tiger Moth, WW1 fighter, Gloster Gladiator (my favourite!)...

So, 5-6 channels are enough for me for a long time. So, even 6EXA can serve me well.

But, what about the quality and reliability if I compare the 6EXA and the 9C? If I fly some big birds in scale contests, the radio reliability is everything. I really hate to crash my pride and joy in front of the spectators if some cheap component in my cheap 6EXA breaks and I lose control because of it?

So, how is it? Cheap price means cheap components and lower quality??? Anyway, I never had problems with my Skysport 4...

I think buying as good radio as possible will really pay off. I´m very sure that 7C/9C has some features I´ll never need, but who knows...

The basic question here is: Do I have to spend big bucks to get enough reliability????
Old 09-19-2004, 02:03 PM
GalenB
My Feedback: (18)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do not think you have to spend "big bucks" to get a reliable radio. It has been my experience that all of the mid range computer radios are very reliable. Right now the Futaba 9C offers the best "bang for your buck" in a mid range computer radio. You can spend more, but I don't think you will get a more reliable radio.
Old 09-19-2004, 02:26 PM
GarySS
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any radio can fail you; it is up to you to keep it and the flight pack in good condition. Batteries are the weakest link, followed by servos and /or the switches. A good solid battery conditioner would be a must. Heavy duty switches in an expensive plane is also a good idea. Strong servos that are above the job... for sure. But again, any radio can fail. That is the hard reality of this hobby.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:53 PM
aeajr

OK, you have the budget to buy up to a 9C. Good!

I don't believe quality will be an issue. As stated above all of these radios have good track records and any radio can fail.

Since you are flying the big expensive birds with lots of your time in them, I would consider PCM receiver and PCM capable radio. My impression is that they provide a little better link and you can program in a fail mode. Others can talk more of this.

The more scale you get, the more things you are going to want the plane to do to give that full scale effect. So, retracts, canopy or door close, and the like. If you get into militray, perhaps bomb doors, bomb drops. If you get into aerobatics, maybe smoke. Perhaps airbrakes, flaps and ailerons, that could be 3- servos just for the wing using 3-5 channels, then elevator and rudder and throttle. That could be 6-8 channels. Oh yes and retracts. That's 9

You are going to be putting a lot of time into these big planes, give yourself the flexability to have the plane do what you want. I would go with the 9C and PCM receivers, probably two receivers per plane and two batteries for reliability. Others will have to comment on how that is done.

I am led to believe that for the big planes, digital servos are the way to go for precision and strength.

I can't see why you would want to go less than 7 channels and at least 9 for extra features you will likely want to put into the plane.

That's my recommendation.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:48 AM
HHjul

OK, Thanks for help.

After some thinking, I´ll go to 7CAP. All it features is more than enough for me for a long time. The local hobby shop made me a really good offer of 7CAP they have in stock. They supply the 9C as well, but the price is twice as much as 7C. I think we will make a deal. Their price is unbelievably low compared to other authorized Futaba dealers here. Winter is coming now here in Scandinavia, so hobby sellers empty their stocks for winter season. The 7CAP package I´m talking about comes with FM receiver, there is no 7C available here with PCM receiver. So I´ll have to buy it separately, but the total price is still very reasonable. I think I buy a good radio. Or... do I? We´ll see...

Thanks again, happy flying!
Old 09-20-2004, 09:40 PM
aeajr

An Excellent choice. I am sure you will be very happy with it.