RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Sullivan Genesys System

Old 09-23-2004, 09:07 AM
Chillybee
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Sullivan Genesys System

I just installed the Genesys in my Satio 100 powered Hobbistar. The most critical part was getting the coil close as possible to the magnets which was a simple as placing a piece of paper between the 2 and tightening the adjustment brackets. Basically, the power from the alternator is plugged into the CCU (a black plastic box about twice the size of a receiver) which I'm assuming does everything from converting the current to controlling the charging of batteries. Everything else you want the system to power is also plugged into that same CCU including extra batteries and any power hungry accessories. In theory, the system can run all of the electrical devices along with charging the batteries. Of course, I wanted to see it happen before I believed it. After starting the engine, I switched off the receiver battery. To my surprise even at a very slow idle (which wouldn't move the plane), it operated all of the servos just like the batteries were still connected. With the motor turning slightly faster, the charging LED lit which meant the batteries were also being charged. Since the entire system weighs 5.5 ounces, this will certainly save lots of weight because I plan on using it to power both a gps/telemetry and video system along with being a tow plane for smaller gliders. It also basically means that I can use a very small battery (ie. 250 mah) to power my system when starting the plane or if the motor cuts off in flight. My biggest concern was RF noise from the alternator but a range test has given me more than 100 yards with the transmitter antenna down so that's no longer an issue. The system is still over 100 bucks at Tower Hobbies and with enough lithium batteries, I could probably do the same thing. But now the only limit to how long I can fly is the amount of fuel and how long the transmitter batteries work. Besides, the alternator makes a really cool sound. Hopefully, I'll fly it this weekend to see how everything works out.