Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Radio's on Ham Frequencies

Old 09-23-2004, 08:33 PM
km6tj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio's on Ham Frequencies

Which radio's are readily available on the ham bands? I was looking for a new Futaba and browsing Tower the other day and noticed only the high end radio's had frequency choices on the ham bands. Is this just a Tower catalog thing, or are more economical radio's incompatible with the 50 mhz frequencies?
Thanks much

Ken
Old 09-23-2004, 10:05 PM
smokingcrater

Default RE: Radio's on Ham Frequencies

only module based radios are commonly available on ham freq's. I think the hitec eclipse 7 is the cheapest module radio out there...
Old 09-25-2004, 07:59 AM
CrashGaalaas
My Feedback: (8)

Here is the list I have:
Futaba 9c, 9z
Airtronics: 8 channel Stylus
FMA: receivers only

Or if you feel like building a kit try Microstar at [link]http://mstar2k.com/[/link]

There also are older discontinued systems available. I am using a Futaba 8UAFS.
Please add to this list if you know of others.

Larry KB0R
Old 09-25-2004, 11:00 AM
CMG

Don't for get JR they also sell module based radio's on 50Mhz

Old 09-26-2004, 06:38 AM
The PIPE

Default The MicroStar option is a GREAT idea...

Dear KM6TJ:

The PIPE here again...and "CrashGaalaas's" idea of a MICROSTAR based "built by YOURSELF radio" is a GREAT idea!

I've got one all ready to use (I've been "grounded" for a year now due to a solar glare caused crash, AND massive home improvement tasks my mother's had me working on) and the makings for a SECOND one being brought together...and, where I ONLY fly with KNOBBY single stick radios...

I HAVE to build ALL my own radios...and I've been doing it since 1977...!

The "former FMA" made RF decks, NOW available from Marv Jensen at http://www.jensenjetmodels.com/ for around $75.00 with crystal, will give you a 50 or 53 MHz transmit RF module you can use with the MicroStar encoder...and, so far as it IS legal to do on HAM bands ONLY, you COULD even use a Futaba, JR or Sanwa (Airtronics) 50 MHz transmit RF module with the MicroStar...since the FCC rules you'll be flying under are those of PART 97 (the Amateur radio Service rules, viewable online at http://www.arrl.org/FandES/field/reg...s/news/part97/ , and NOT those of the "regular RC service", known as Part 95, which are also viewable online at http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/w...7cfr95_00.html ...the Part 95 rules STRICTLY prohibit "mixing of brands" between the radio and RF deck with 72 and 75 MHz radios in the USA, but NO SUCH restriction exists within Part 97!!! It's STILL best to get the homebuilt Ham band radio checked out by a place like Radio South or DuMond RC for "narrowbandedness" first, ESPECIALLY for 50 MHz usage...like those AMA GOLD STICKERS they still use to certify a radio AS narrowband!

There's even a MicroStar USER GROUP at Yahoo, at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MP8K/ ...it's ALSO for the users of the very similar, but NOWHERE as reliable as the MicroStar, Ace MicroPro radios...a LOT of MicroStar users have joined up with that one!

Marv Jensen even has all the JOYSTICKS and TRIM LEVERS you could want...he bought out the ENTIRE supply of Ace RC's radio parts a few years ago...and he sells the MicroStar encoders in all-built-up form, with WIRING HARNESSES available, and there's even a SYNTHESIZED RF DECK available for the MicroStar from him, for use on 50 and 53 MHz...it works right WITH the MicroStar encoder, and the eight memory positions remember the frequency used for a certain plane..and even the MODULATION (AM or FM) you're using with it...!

Consider the options the MicroStar has for your usage, from reading the PROGRAMMING manual for it, downloadable from Gordon Anderson's website (the one CrashGaalaas mentioned) at http://mstar2k.com/programming.pdf (it IS an Adobe Acrobat Reader file)...and programming is MAINLY done THROUGH THE JOYSTICKS...NOT through a separate keyboard!

Hope this helps you out in eventually selecting the MICROSTAR option for HAM band flying...I can;t WAIT to get a bit more of my mother's "home improvement" work out of the way very soon, so I can get my dear old Balsa USA "Swizzle Stick" back in the air once more!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 09-26-2004, 09:22 PM
km6tj

Thanks to all for the replies!

The MICROSTAR option certainly sounds interesting, along with exploring using some of the older radios with the freq. modules. I am thinking about buying another radio (of course the XYL may have other thoughts) and thought I should put the ham ticket to better use. I do need to poll the locals here for the 50 mhz usage and interference, though.

I will tell you Pipe, that at first glance, all that structure behind you looks like some kind of antenna array, or a yagi gone wild!!!!! Good luck with the projects!

Keep the suggestions coming!!!

73 es TNX

Ken