Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

buddy box debate

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2002, 12:40 PM
thexfiles
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buddy box debate

we had a discussion at the field this a.m. regarding buddy boxes.
i pointed out that when i was having interference problems hooking up a hitec tx to another hitec tx. we overcame that problem by removing the battery, crystal and antenna.
i have seen futaba buddy boxes advertised on ebay with the same components removed.
my flying buddy says that isn't necesarry. all you have to do is shut the buddy box down but the components can remain in place.
i also notice that a futaba buddy cord and a hitec cord are different in the number of pins on the connectors.
question: does this issue vary between manufacturers? and, second what should be the recommended way of doing this?
thanks
Old 08-06-2002, 02:49 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Default buddy box debate

I know we had a hard time finding a matching buddy cord for a Hitec Laser 4 at our field a while back. We'd plug in a cord and start to smell a burning smell from the buddy box. ughhh.

Got the right cable, and everything was fine.

I ordered a Futaba buddy box from Bruckner Hobbies, and it did NOT have an antenna, or battery. (had the crystal, though...?). I think this is the safest way to run a buddy box.

Mike
Old 08-06-2002, 02:55 PM
thomasb

Default buddy box debate

If you buddy a Futaba and a Hitec and use the Futaba cord, you MUST remove the xtal from the buddy. The Hitec cord does not require this treatment.
Old 08-07-2002, 11:29 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default buddy box debate

Mr. thexfiles, I think you may be comparing Futaba AM versus Hitec FM connectors. The Futaba FM buddy cord has the same connector as the Hitec FM. The Futaba AM used a different connector. You should use the HiTec trainer cord though (note that it requires that you pay attention to which end is connected to the trainer box--the ends are labeled) or you will have to remove the battery and Xtal from the trainer box.
Old 08-26-2002, 07:58 PM
thexfiles
My Feedback: (7)

Default buddy box debate

better late than never!!!!!
i want to thank all those who responded to my question.
thanks for taking the time to do so.