Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Dumb Transmitter Battery Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 11:21 AM
mloywhite
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dumb Transmitter Battery Question

I know this is probably a stupid question, but here goes: I want to discharge/cycle the battery from my Futaba 6EXA transmitter. I know I can't do it without taking the battery out, or having the transmitter modified, which I don't want to bother with. Will I lose the saved settings for my planes if I remove the battery to discharge it? Thanks.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:52 PM
shaun1

Default RE: Dumb Transmitter Battery Question

Hi,
All you need to do is buy a futaba transmitter fast charge lead from you local hobby shop. This lead connects to your charger with an identical futaba plug on the end. Plug it in the socket on you transmitter and cycle your battery.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:43 PM
Krysta

Hi mloywhite,

To discharge or cycle the battery you will have to remove it from the transmitter as all Futaba radios are diode protected.

You may purchase the Polyswitch and either install it yourself in an out of warranty radio, or you can send this into the service center for this to be done here. Please see our website for the pricing information on this.

There is circuitry in your radio which will protect your settings if the battery is removed, so you will be fine and not lose any models.

I hope you find this information helpful. You can also reach our Futaba support technical team at 217-398-8970, or via fax at 217-398-7721.

Sincerely,
Krysta
Lead Futaba Customer Service and Programming Technician
Old 08-31-2004, 07:07 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

TO answer your question, NO, you will not loose your programs that are in memory.
ORIGINAL: mloywhite

I know this is probably a stupid question, but here goes: I want to discharge/cycle the battery from my Futaba 6EXA transmitter. I know I can't do it without taking the battery out, or having the transmitter modified, which I don't want to bother with. Will I lose the saved settings for my planes if I remove the battery to discharge it? Thanks.
Old 09-01-2004, 10:45 AM
mloywhite
My Feedback: (4)

Thanks Geistware for the simple answer.
Old 09-01-2004, 11:43 AM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

To discharge or cycle the battery you will have to remove it from the transmitter as all Futaba radios are diode protected.
Really? I believe my 9C does not have a diode, as explained in the manual.
Old 09-01-2004, 12:25 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

I believe there is a diode in the 9c, but it allows you to discharge and fast charge your transmitter batteries.
Old 09-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

THE 9C has a polyswitch. It protects the transmitter and allow the battery to be discharged.
ORIGINAL: jzinckgra

Really? I believe my 9C does not have a diode, as explained in the manual.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:57 PM
charleyrc

There is another way. If you can do some tedious soldering then go to the link below. It show's how to jumper the diode that prevents you from using a fast charger or cycling you battery while still in your radio. I have done this on all my futaba radio's with nothing but good results. For a jumper I simply took a short piece of wire and tinned it with solder. Then bent it to make a !QUOT!U!QUOT! shape that was wide enough to reach each of the jumper points shown on the link below. Then a quick touch with fine point soldering iron and wala. You can use a fast field charger or cycle your battery without the hassle of removing it from the transmitter. One word of caution. This will void your warranty. But as I said, I have had nothing but success with this. I have added a second link below. It is the page that lists all the transmitters and jumping methods for each.

http://www.siriuselectronics.com/fut9Z Page for a Futaba 9Z

http://www.siriuselectronics.com/services.htm Page that lists other radios that can be jumper-ed.

Good Luck
Old 09-28-2004, 09:04 PM
charleyrc

Ooops, my bad,

The 9C does not have a diode that can be jumped. If you looked at the links I posted for you then you will see that. But the page does show others that can be jumpered. Perhaps that will be of some help on other transmitters in the future. Sorry for the bum steer.[&o]
Old 09-29-2004, 11:25 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: charleyrc

There is another way. If you can do some tedious soldering then go to the link below. It show's how to jumper the diode that prevents you from using a fast charger or cycling you battery while still in your radio. I have done this on all my futaba radio's with nothing but good results. For a jumper I simply took a short piece of wire and tinned it with solder. Then bent it to make a !QUOT!U!QUOT! shape that was wide enough to reach each of the jumper points shown on the link below. Then a quick touch with fine point soldering iron and wala. You can use a fast field charger or cycle your battery without the hassle of removing it from the transmitter. One word of caution. This will void your warranty. But as I said, I have had nothing but success with this. I have added a second link below. It is the page that lists all the transmitters and jumping methods for each.

http://www.siriuselectronics.com/fut9Z Page for a Futaba 9Z

http://www.siriuselectronics.com/services.htm Page that lists other radios that can be jumper-ed.

Good Luck
You should add another caution:
After jumpering the diode if you should ever inadvertently plug your battery in backwards you can kiss yout transmitter goodbye