RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JR 10X radio problems (brand new!!!)

Old 09-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Kaoma
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default JR 10X radio problems (brand new!!!)

10/29/04
I have a JR 10X radio that is 1 week old tomorrow, that I got from Heliproz. Have used the radio 4 times so far, twice on the last weekend, On Saturday while in the air the radio started to loose the LCD display fadeing into off like state for a few minutes. Yes, the battery was fully charged and did not press the contrast buttons. After that incident (radio's display came back by itself) most of the time when I turn off the radio there is a horizontal black/blue line for a split second or a whole bunch of vertical lines on the display before the display is off completly. Also if I hold the radio in front of the face at about 12" distance and rock the radio slowly there is a faint sound like something small is loose inside the radio. Have checked of all any other sound posibilities and is from inside only. The radio has not been dropped, banged, spilled into it or abused in any way. Have called the HorizonHobby C.S.and have shipped the radio to them for inspection
Did any of you have any similar problems with the JR 10X radio? did I get "Monday" radio by luck?
I had a bunch of radios over the years including 2 JRs but this is the first/only one that crapped on me without my fault.

UPDATE 10/30/04

Today I got a reply from JR Corp. (Japan) informing me that the display problems are not normal (duh..) and should have the radio sent in for check-up (did that yesterday).
Also today I have spoke with a JR tech rep from HH and he said that if the problems are present (being duplicated under testing), they will open the radio and fix it....
I would hope for the radio to be exchanged for a GOOD one since its only 6 days old and NOT have components desolder and resolder on the board. I wanted this radio for a long time and it really bugs me to have it fix brand new...but if this is the case, then It will go the route all my radios went which is Ebay, very cheap with a note that is a POS and asking poeple NOT to bid on it .
Well, I guess that I'll get out of the hobby or get a wire controlled plane since I had enough with all the radios in general.
So even the top of the line Tx can be bad. Buyer beware...
Old 10-01-2004, 06:18 PM
BobbyRichardson

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: JR 10X radio problems (brand new!!!)

Settle down it's not that bad. I've sure Horizon will put it back like new with the 3 year warranty. The have great customer service. I love my 10X.
Old 10-03-2004, 03:24 PM
WhoDaMan
My Feedback: (164)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Danny:
From my understanding JR had a problem with this in some of their earlier radios. I was sure that they have sold all those radio's by now. What I was lead to believe is the screen is in there to tight and the components press up against it and the screen goes out,,,, also you should be thankful there has been reports of it actually changing the programs. The other problem was the antenna were it screws in the plate was lose causing range interference. I have two of them and never ran across this with mine, but some friends I have had this. I love mine and hope your situation is resolved.

Dave
Old 10-04-2004, 01:26 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Old 10-04-2004, 02:03 AM
MO_Radio_Tech

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thought of a story that might be helpful. Two summers ago, a guy from Warrensburg, MO was over here for a fly-in (in my open field) and his 10X got dropped in the parking lot. It still powered up and moved servos, but no display.

After he finished sobbing, I opened it up and all that I could find wrong was that a "ribbon" connector for the LCD had popped out. I put it back and the radio worked fine. The radio had minor scratches and a bent switch, but was otherwise OK. He flew his Mustang and went home happy. He then sent it in to Horizon for a new switch and a check-over.

The only difference between this story and Kaoma's is the rattling inside. That could be more serious, but still sounds like dropping.

Winter is approaching. Time for bowling.
Old 10-08-2004, 06:46 PM
Kaoma
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mo,
I have NEVER dropped the radio. It has not even a scratch on it anywhere. The problem started right out of the box (rattling noise) and the display isues started soon after. The radio had only 4 1/2 days in my possesion before I sent it in for repair. Well, it looks like I got a JLR radio (junk-lemon radio)
I'm not too far away from smashing the POS to pieces when I'll get it if is not fixed like brand new the way it was supposed to be from the box.