RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New Futaba 9CAPS Super!!!!

Old 10-02-2004, 05:51 PM
BARCC
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default New Futaba 9CAPS Super!!!!

Finally futaba has created a cool new radio I can't wait for. Here is a link: [link=http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LNHKS7**&P=G]Futaba 9CAPS Super[/link] Awesome!!!!
Old 10-02-2004, 09:07 PM
Bob101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: New Futaba 9CAPS Super!!!!

Hopefully it will have flight modes other than just triple rates....
Old 10-02-2004, 09:33 PM
smokingcrater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

looks like tower is getting ready to start marketing these... Doesn't seem like really anything other then maybe a .1 software update, I wouldn't even consider it a new major version! wonder if this will be available as a service center software upgrade for the 9c's? doubtful, but at least I can be hopeful! about the only thing mentioned that would be of any use to me is the delayed heli mode select, that is something I've wanted!

http://www.towerhobbies.com/rcwnews/040922-futk75.html

Futaba 9C Super Radios still have 9-channel PCM and 8-channel FM capacity, plus all the same easy programming and the same switches and dials. But 9C Super Radios offer so much more for your advanced R/C pilots: more memory, more functions and more flexibility when it comes to controlling airplanes, helis and/or gliders. This is the system for the modeler who wants it all!

18-model memory - Memory has been expanded to 12 models, and the 16K CAMPac module that's included adds another six models - bringing the total up to 18.

A three-function timer - Can be utilized as an up timer or down timer - or to keep track of total flying time for a particular model - and can be programmed to any of the switches, the power switch or the throttle stick.

Enhancements to all three modes.

Glider Mode - With its extensive glider mode updates, the 9C Super is comparable to other high-end systems! In addition to the Basic offset trim, the 9C Super offers three other offsets (launch, thermal and speed), with camber that can be customized for each. The four camber mixes can be set up on one screen and programmed to any of the variable dials. Besides setup ease, the glider mode boasts much more built-in flexibility. Any R/C aircraft with 4-servo wings will benefit the 9C Super's technology!

Airplane Mode - With either a selectable switch and through channels 5, 7 or 8, fliers can set up a 2-rate (Up/Down) or 3-rate (Up/Center/Down) GYA gyro system. The Air Brake is now switch-selectable.

Heli Mode - Throttle Curve and Pitch Curve now feature a delay that makes for a smoother transition from hover to idle-up and better control. The throttle hold and idle-up can be assigned to any switch that feels more comfortable for the pilot.

Available with S3151 and/or S9252 digital servos - or without servos, for add-on servo sales
Old 10-02-2004, 10:16 PM
Bob101

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well blah, if you fly airplanes I wouldn't really call it a "super" upgrade.
Old 10-03-2004, 08:30 AM
Ross Kean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

According to Futaba (as mentioned in the Futaba forum), older 9C's cannot be upgraded to the "new" Super. What were they thinking? The enhancements are not enough to tempt me into trading my current 9C for the "improved" version but I might have considered sending it in for an upgrade if it was available at reasonable cost. As it is, Futaba has a so-called new product to flog to a few modelers and thousands of somewhat irritated owners of the old version. Nobody wants to think of their relatively new radio as obsolete.

I don't think Futaba has carefully considered owner's reactions when they decided to make changes without an upgrade path available for current owners. Is the hardware so different? Sounds like something that should be a simple chip upgrade - no huge differences in hardware should be necessary. They fixed a programming error (for gliders) with the original version (for free) of the radio but did not change the radio designation. If they decided that an enhancement was necessary, Futaba should have made the change quietly (i.e. software Version 1.3) or should have considered the possibility of "Superfying" older 9C's.

It would be interesting to see whether Futaba will chime in here. Perhaps there are very good reasons for the enhancements and possibly even a good reason why they could not make the changes in a fashion to benefit current users.

Ross
Old 10-03-2004, 05:33 PM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Ross Kean
It would be interesting to see whether Futaba will chime in here. Perhaps there are very good reasons for the enhancements and possibly even a good reason why they could not make the changes in a fashion to benefit current users.
Planned obsolescence?

There are plenty of modellers out there who are addicted to having the latest and greatest of everything -- these are the people who will find themselves unable to resist the urge to buy a new set of gear as soon as their current set becomes "last-year's model".

Maybe Futaba (like so many manufacturers) are relying on this crowd to give them an instant sales peak on launch?
Old 10-03-2004, 07:11 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I will say this this is the first "UPGRADE" that I can do without.
THE difference between the 8U and the 8U's was phenomenal.
THe difference between the 8U's and 9C was smaller but just enough for me to buy a used transmitter. There is little difference between 9C and 9C's
I guess I will be waiting for the 10X from Futaba
Old 10-03-2004, 08:30 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I think the product developers designed the 9C and 9Cs at the same time. The infrastructure for the 9Cs or most of it has been incorporated into the 9C. Its just market timing for the so-called 9Cs to be released
Old 10-03-2004, 11:35 PM
MHawker
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The current 9C has a three timers. The two "flight timers" can be programmed for up or down and put on any switch.... right? Similar to the new one... no?
Old 10-04-2004, 08:45 AM
3D Joy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't understand why people are upset about new products from Futaba and the fact that the older ones are not upgradable. As far back as I can remember, Futaba ALWAYS released an enhenced version of every computer radio they got out a few (1 or 2) years earlier.

I am waiting for something to happen (money also) and am very happy the new version came out, some used 9C has become available...
Old 10-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Being that I use at most maybe 25% of the currently 9C's capability, the 9CS wouldn't offer me much. I've scanned thorugh the improvements list, and have not come across something I can't do without. 3 timers??!! I don't even use the two I have already.

But for someone who is shopping for a new TX, it is perfectly logical for Futaba to offer a "make-over" of an existng product without the major investment of a completely new TX. Japanese car makers do this a lot. They typically do a mid-life face-lift at 3 yr intervals, with a complete redesign every 6yrs.

I do think Futaba ought to offer an upgrade service, similar to what Hitec did when they introduced Q-PCM on their Eclispe. Hitec came up with a brilliant campaign by selling a Q-PCM receiver along the upgrade. I personally wouldn't bother to go through the hassle upgrading my 9C, but it's good PR for those do want the latest code.
Old 10-04-2004, 09:31 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well said Volfy !
Old 10-07-2004, 04:19 AM
lesterpk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If like me you fly sailplanes, then the 9C Super is worth it, 3 flight modes etc. Seems like Futaba are trying to make the 9C more attractive to glider users since JR introduced the 9303.
Old 10-10-2004, 10:28 PM
superfly13_69

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sounds like you've hit the mark, Lester. Being on top of the competition is a good thing. And I agree with 3D Joy, too. A hardly used 9C just became available somewhere.

Superfly.
Old 10-11-2004, 09:59 AM
OldRookie
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Check this link for a sneak preview of the 9C Super by Ann Marie Cross.

http://www.rcgroups.com/links/index....at=281&id=4590

Greg