RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Simple Antenna Routing

Old 10-04-2004, 02:43 AM
MeanMustang

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Simple Antenna Routing

Hi People,

Your help needed on this very simple question... Like most instructions, the one for my 40 sized Mustang says that I should drill a hole on one side of my fuselage and route the antenna wire outside and attach to the tail wheel wire. That would mean adding another unsightly hole to the poor bird plus having a wire to metal (the tail wheel wire) contact.

I was thinking of having the antenna wire routed thru a plastic antenna tube and kept inside the length of the fuselage, away from servos, switches etc. Do u think this will work in terms of getting proper reception and range? Or should I drill a hole underneath to have it come out?
Old 10-04-2004, 05:39 AM
Irish R.Seer
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Simple Antenna Routing

The radio will work fine with the antenna inside the fuse, but extend the antenna wire as far as possible even if you have to make a hole to let it exit at the rear of the fuselage. Good luck with your Mustang. Hope you got your engine thrustline sorted out.
Bill
Old 10-05-2004, 06:45 AM
MeanMustang

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Simple Antenna Routing

Thanks Irish RSeer. I wanted to keep things "scale-looking" with the antenna inside. Ironically, I came across some pics of the full-sized "short fuse sallee" mustang and it has a cable running between the back part of the canopy and the tailfin. I wonder what that is for.

I have sorted out the thrustline problem too. I think it's got a few deg upthrust because the built in wooden rails for the engine were designed that way. Well, at least one person with a WM Mustang has that same situation and he's flies beautifully. I did get some free "scraps" of 1.5mm thickness silicon sheeting from a wholesaler and I cut them to the size of the wood rails and used them as vibration isolators between the engine and the rails. I decided to add 1 deg right thrust to counter the tendency for it to head left on the take-off roll. Just a week more to its maiden and then I'll know if I need to make more changes to the thrustline.