Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How long can a radio last?

Old 10-04-2004, 08:46 AM
Dazzler86

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How long can a radio last?

HI ,
I have a futaba T6xa\h radio for about six years now and it works fine. My question is how long should my tx last and Do I need to consider getting a new one ? Exept changing the Tx batt is there anything else that I should replace (Maybe crystal for example)?

dazzler86
Old 10-04-2004, 09:46 AM
Jarsu

Default RE: How long can a radio last?

The only things in a TX that can't be expected to last at least a few decades in normal conditions are the battery and the moving parts (potentiometers and switches).
Old 10-04-2004, 11:28 AM
dirtybird
My Feedback: (5)

When I wroked in electronic design engineering years ago we worried mostly about electrolytic capacitors drying out after about ten years. Modern parts may be better. I have a 20 year old transmtter that seems to work fine but its so outmoded that I don't use it.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:40 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

As mentioned above, other than electrolytics or mechanical parts wearing out, should last for decades if given reasonable care. It would be wise to occasionally have it checked out for frequency stability (allowable sideband suppression) and any drift due to component aging. Resistors and capacitors can change value with age.
Old 10-04-2004, 04:33 PM
smokingcrater

When I wroked in electronic design engineering years ago we worried mostly about electrolytic capacitors drying out after about ten years.
during 2001 or so there was a major manufacturer of caps that put out a HUGE lot of bad ones. They started to show up as short as a year after in hard use situations (computer mobo), but there probably are lots of those caps out in other applications also. (I think my car radio, a pioneer premiere 840, recently died due to a bad cap, possibly from this...)
Old 10-05-2004, 04:54 AM
Jimmbbo

IMO, the FCC will probably modify its technical requirements before the hardware takes a dump....

Cheers!

Jim
Old 10-05-2004, 09:56 PM
MeanMustang

It depends on how well its maintained... I've got a Futaba that's 12 yrs old and it works fine. Had to change battery packs as the yrs went by of course. If u find a significant loss of air time, then its probably time to change. Don't wait for the batt to leak because by then, it would have taken out other things with it. Like the others, I think u should pay more attention to the switches, moving parts and the batt. Switches and terminals develop oxidation on them more quickly in humid conditions and this can lead to intermitent falls in voltage, so if possible, keep your electronics indoors in a dry place.

Oh, and assuming u do have a receiver that came along with your T6, have it checked thoroughly too. I used to race RC cars and I noticed that the receivers always fail after a couple of years. I attribute this to the rougher conditions that receivers undergo, such as dirt, dust, exhaust residue, vibrations and crashes.
Old 10-05-2004, 10:11 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

I still have one of the first 5 channel pcm Futaba's made, and I use it to date. It must be at least 15 yrs. old. Oh by the way, I still have my first Kraft 4 ch. radio from about 29 + years ago and the last time I tried it, some 8 years ago, it did work.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:03 PM
goatnick
My Feedback: (11)

I have a Futaba FP-T8SGA-P that I bought in 1986,Thats 18 yrs and still going strong,Bought 4 RX for it last yr when Tower put a special on them only to find out after buying RX that they won't repair this radio anymore.Caught in the trap again,New it was to good to be true.I've never had radio on for repairs,just leave well enough alone,
Old 10-06-2004, 09:15 PM
HalH
My Feedback: (12)

I have six Kraft radios that range from 1974- 1978 that are still working. I have installed new batteries and have narrow banded them all. Two of them are the Phil Kraft Signature Series. Synthesized FM rcvrs and Tx modules.