Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Graupner MX-22

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2004, 04:42 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Graupner MX-22

Does anyone know where I can buy a Graupner MX-22 radio? Graupner says they cannot supply 72 MHz radios. Thanks!
Old 10-08-2004, 12:18 AM
fiery
My Feedback: (2)

Default RE: Graupner MX-22

From Australia.

Try these links:

http://www.modelflight.com.au/rc_mod...upner_mx22.htm

http://www.modelflight.com.au/graupner_radio.htm

Price is not cheap compared to the US version of the 9X. But the MX-22 is a cut above again.

S and Z PCM compatible too. Horizon would probably not offer service though. You would need to return it Down Under for warranty work, in the unlikely event it should be required.

fiery
Old 10-08-2004, 09:04 AM
ptgarcia

Thanks Fiery, I was hoping to find someone here in the US but I guess thats not going to happen. I have already been in touch with Mike O'Reilly at Model Flight and he has what I'm looking for. I didn't ask Mike but I'm assuming the radios sent to Australia have the programming displayed in english? Thanks for the help.
Old 10-08-2004, 04:14 PM
fiery

Default Graupner MX-22

Pauly

Programming in english? Sure is. I have just ordered one of these sets for myself, after much deliberation.

Someone in Canada may be an agent for Graupner radio gear? Why Horizon don't
carry these radio's seems a bit of a mystery.

fiery
Old 10-08-2004, 05:19 PM
hydro_gin

I'd be interested to know what frequency bands are used down under for model aircraft? Is 72Mhz one of them?

Thanks,

Lance
Old 10-10-2004, 08:16 AM
cameron

36mhz
Old 10-24-2004, 05:07 AM
Woody 51

Just traded my FUTABA UA8 on on of these new Graupner/JR MX22's.

I originally was looking at the JR PCM9X, but the MX22 is just so much better.

What struck me is the excellent instruction book (read NOVEL) that comes with it.

Over 140 very well written pages of programming instruction (just what can't this radio do!!) and explanation, with excellent photo's to back it all up. It's a real lesson book.
Old 10-24-2004, 04:22 PM
fiery

My LHS just called me to say that mine has arrived and they are waiting for me to come in and collect it.

The festive season is now upon me!

140 page manual? that should cover all possibilities, I hope!

fiery
Old 10-24-2004, 07:54 PM
Woody 51

Take you time Fiery mate. The manual is well written, but it can also be a cure for insomnia!

I like the option of being able to pre program in different control surface settings and movements, for different parts of the flight phase, as well as deciding which switch I want to control a specific task, rather than having "JR" tell ME which switch will do it.
Old 10-24-2004, 08:30 PM
fiery

Ditto.

I was going to jump to an MPX RE 12, but the interminable delay in seeing a set in the flesh and then the arrival of the MX-22 sealed it for me. The 9X "wasn't quite there" enough for my preference.

Switch assignability was a big factor. By the way, Mike at ModelFlight has confirmed the set will talk to the MPX DC synthesised receivers, so that is an option as well. I wonder when a synthesised Tx module will become available.

I might post with some impressions on this, but I did promise myself not to let myself loose on theradio until Christmas!

fiery
Old 10-25-2004, 01:36 AM
Woody 51

Fiery,

One accessory that you should get onto Mike about is the PC interface lead and software. (Part no 4182.9-- see page 149 of the manual) for this Tx.

This allows you to download and store all your various model memory's to your PC (and subsequently to a CD or FD) and also re load them to the TX.

Sure , the TX has 30 model memories, but its ability to keep them stored is dependant on a non rechargeable Lithium battery tucked away inside. (See also P 12 of the manual. it talks about it in the middle column, 2nd paragraph)

This is the same system used on all JR computer radios, by the way.

The life of the battery is around 5 - 7 years on average. But some have got more and others less.

When it finally fails, you PERMANENTLY loose all the model memories and switch assignments.

So fitting a new battery (must be done by a technician who knows what they are actually doing, it's soldered in) will NOT recover them.

This accessory and software will allow you to download and restore the lot! (Beats having to keep it all written in a notebook, as with older JR Tx's)

Also, if Graupner ever release a software update, you should be able to download it to the TX via this.

The inital shipment of this accessory that Mike received, had the program all written in German, it was returned to Graupner and English translated software is on the way.

Pre order it from him.
Old 10-25-2004, 01:45 AM
Woody 51

Fiery,
You'll also need part no 3290.22, the Data Transfer Module.
See P148 of the manual.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:57 AM
jbsmith
My Feedback: (1)

Hey Guys.

I too was looking at buying a 9X.
Can some one give a quick summary of the differences
between the 9X and the MX 22.

Thanks for the help
Jeremy
Old 10-26-2004, 11:44 AM
ptgarcia

Physically they are virtually identical, both inside and out. It's the software that sets them a world apart! If I can cough up a grand I will buy one.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:37 PM
Mac_Man_UK

btw guys,

There is a product that allows any JR transmitter that has data transfer capabilities to be backed up to a PC, Palmtop and/or converted from one transmitter model to another. For example, if you were going from a 3810 ( 8103 ) to a 9X or a 9303 etc, this can now be done automatically instead of having to write everything sown and manually transpose settings.

[8D]
Old 10-26-2004, 03:30 PM
jbsmith
My Feedback: (1)

Ok....

So what are the main software differences that set them a world apart?
I can get a 9X Tx only for $400 us. Is it worth $600 more?

Thanks again
Jeremy Smith
Old 10-26-2004, 03:41 PM
ptgarcia

jbsmith,

Check out the top link in post #2 and you will get a pretty good overview of the MX-22's capabilities. I'm not sure if the 9303 has them, but if you're a competition pilot, jet jockie, or complicated glider pilot the 4 flight conditions are probably worth the price difference. In a nutshell, the programming in the Graupner is much more flexible than the JR's. I'm sorry I can't give you more. Hopefully the website helps you out.
Old 10-27-2004, 06:39 AM
Woody 51

Go to the top link that ptgarcia says and download the .pdf file review of the radio. It will explain it far better than I can, but to sum it up, it is a far more flexible radio as far as programming goes, than the 9X and also YOU decide which switch does what, rather than put up with what JR decides.
The MX 22 Tx can also be configured to either Mode 1, 2 , 3 or 4, or whether it is to be used for flying fixed wing or helos, by you, rather that having to specify which mode or type of model you fly, when you purchase the unit.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:07 AM
fiery

Picked it up, read the manual, all 158 pages of it ... nicely written, very comprehensive, it very rarely lapses into deutsch which is OK, I guess the translater got tired and the editor didn't catch it!

It's my first new computer radio since 1993 ... things have moved on . Being new to the JR (Graupner) camp, what is with that odd little battery connecter in the Tx?? Are they available readily at computer shops? I wonder why they just didn't use a male "servo plug" and make it easy.

Once I got over the "technology shock" (I'm over 40), put down the manual and just started "doing it", I realised this is a pretty staightforward piece of kit. It just has A LOT of options ... if I ever use 10% of it's capabilities I'll be doing well. And I was only in the "basic"menu ... one day I'll venture into the realms of the expert menu. Gliders, Heli's, planks (i.c. and electric) all well covered.

I think it is fairly good value for what you get. I paid AUD $1289 for it retail from my LHS. Knock off a third of this for USD $ pricing I expect. In some ways it's capabilities exceed that of the 10X. Does anyone know - will it buddy up to a 10X?

I can't wait to get the thing in operation "airborne".

Oh ... after programming it out of glider mode it squeals at me if I turn it on when the throttle stick is left "up" ... just like a wife would ... [&:]

fiery
Old 11-01-2004, 11:28 AM
ptgarcia

Fiery,

Your right about US pricing. Shipped from Model Flight to my office in southern California is $1,008.45. Man I want this radio!
Old 11-07-2004, 09:52 AM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi

Does anyone know where I can download an english version of the MX-22 or MC-22 manual ?
Mine is badly translated into french, which I can't understand, I need the english version.
Thanks !