Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba 12Z radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2001, 10:46 PM
jfangohr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba 12Z radio?

During the last few months I've heard a few rumors regarding a new 12 channel radio from Futaba. There may be no truth to it, but I'm convinced that Futaba has lost countless sales to the JR 10, especially amoung the jet gang, because of that extra channel that JR has. I know that I would buy a 12Z Futaba in an instant, because I tend to do a lot of mixing and don't like Y harnesses. Therefore, if someone reading this is in a position to influence Futaba (Ann Marie?) please put in one big YES vote for me. <g>

So, how about you? Would you consider such a radio, especially if it had all the bells and whistles that the WC2 has?

Also, if you're a JR 10 owner, did that extra channel significantly influence your decision to buy it? Would you consider switching to Futaba if a 12Z existed?

Food for thought,

John Fangohr
Old 12-09-2001, 02:20 AM
Silver182
My Feedback: (2)

Default 12 Channel is coming the question is when----

I have heard Futaba is working on the 12 Channel version. But I also here it won't be available until 2003 at the earlest. Can you imagine the all out programing capibilities of the 9Z with 12 channels. As long as at least 10 of them are fully mixable and fully proportional channels, with maybe two just switches like the 9th is now, it would be great. Can't wait!!!I wished they would get this new radio out ASAP
Old 12-09-2001, 09:05 AM
av8rk

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default futaba 12z

you can get a 12 channel futaba right now.....it's the european version......it's called the robbe/futaba, or somthing like that.......look around for the robbe website and you'll have your questions answered......
Old 12-10-2001, 04:13 AM
RC_MAN
My Feedback: (11)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Futaba 12 Ch

I like the idea of 12 channels. I did buy the JR 10X and traded in my Futaba 9 ch for three reasons.
1) I like the feel of the JR better. I do not use the neck strap so the feel is much more natural.
2) I love the JR digital servos
3) the extra channel

For me to switch again to any other brand I would need the following
1)a new encoding like a the current pagers use so I don't get shot down again.
2) a receiver that is compatible with all turbine related EFI
3) super fast and high torque servos with world class resolution and deadband ( at least 200 in-oz and a weight of 2 oz or less)
4) easy and logical programing
Old 12-12-2001, 04:33 AM
Ron S
My Feedback: (2)

Received 205 Likes on 125 Posts

I would consider a Futaba 12 channel. Right now my 8U gets a bunch of use, along with my other 7UAFs. I had considered the new 9 channel 9CAP, but I don't think it brings enough new stuff with it. I would more than likely get rid of the 7UAFs if I were to buy the 9CAP. I'm sure the 9CAP is a good radio - I played with the programming at a hobby shop - the menus seem easier to get into. Never got a Z or WC...

I'll just wait a bit for the 12 channel.
Old 12-16-2001, 01:25 AM
sideshow
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The reason I got the JR 10X is the touch screen. I can set up an airplane in 5 minutes with just the radio.....no screwdrivers. The other thing is that I didn't have to buy an aftermarket book to learn how to use it. I would stick with the JR because I think the quality is better. I am the only one in my club who uses JR though!

Bob
Old 12-16-2001, 03:27 AM
rcaerobatics-RCU

"The reason I got the JR 10X is the touch screen. I can set up an airplane in 5 minutes with just the radio.....no screwdrivers."

I can setup my 9Z WC2 in 5 minutes or less in any frequency. More complex programming like Giant Scale Aerobatics or Jets can take a little longer 10 to 15 minutes. and no screwdriver required :-)

The 7UAP/S, 8UAP/S, 9CAP and 9Z familly are full computer radios with exellent quality. and again (no screwdriver required)

I learned to use my 9Z in 2 weeks (100%) with no need of any aftermarket book. Just use it and practice.

Jaime Barcelo
Old 12-17-2001, 01:54 PM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Default 12 channels

All:

Multiplex already has a 12 channel radio with ALL channels fully proportional. Now, if some of you guys would donate a few $$'s, I'll order mine today.
Old 04-04-2002, 08:57 PM
robert

Count me in!!! I'd like to see a frequency checker built in, and all channels able to do what you want. Leave me for a minute, and I'll see what else I would like.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:19 PM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Okay, somebody's got to play devil's advocate here.

Why stop at 12 ch's? I'm sure the 20kHz bandwidth is enough to do a lot more channels. With the popularity of putting one (or several) servo per control surface even increasing, 12 channels can go pretty quick. If you're gonna re-engineer a product to compete, give it enough channels so that JR doesn't counter with a 13X and kick your butt again. Plus, this will keep us from having to deal with those pesky servo matchers.

C'mon Futaba, put a 17ZAP under my Christmas tree in 2003.

While you're at it, make darn sure that you allow for a serial or USB connection to download/upload to and program with a PC.
Old 04-04-2002, 11:25 PM
robert

So that you can also receive updates via computer, and your radio won't go out of date. Good Job Volfy!!!
Old 04-04-2002, 11:35 PM
robert

Hey guys, futaba have a product suggestion page on there site. Lets all take a little time out and tell them how to improve their radios.
Regards,
Robert.
www.futabarc.com/suggestion.html
Old 04-05-2002, 12:52 AM
jfangohr

Default RC Report Magazine

Was browsing the web recently and saw that the May edition of RC Report has a blurb from Frank Tiano (sporty scale column) about the 12Z. I don't subscribe to that magazine and was wondering what Frank has to say in that issue regarding the 12Z. Anyone read it yet?

John F.
Old 04-05-2002, 12:32 PM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

There have been 12 channel radios for many years, such as the Multiplex 4000 or Graupner MC24. The Mpx 4000 in the UK is cheaper than a Futaba 9 or JR10 and all 12 functions are of equal value and priority, whereas I hear that the 9Z's 9th function is a 2 pos switch only? It can be fitted with channel check to prevent shoot-down or a complete frequency scanner.

Later this year comes the 12 channel Mpx Royal Evo, fully synthesised fequencies with scanner, buddy box compatible to Futaba and JR as well as Mpx, full connectivity to your PC including internet downloads of software upgrades (unlike Futaba who make you buy a WC1 then WC2) yet estimated UK price is half that of a 9Z or JR10.

Japanese radios are still behind the times. As an article in the Nov 2001 issue of the American magazine RCM said, "If you want to see what the future of radio control is, just look at what Multiplex is doing today."

Harry
Old 04-05-2002, 02:33 PM
robert

Agreed. The reason though why peolple don't use them as much, is because they don't have a famous good cheap starter radio, so people don't start off with them, and so don't use them. As I've said already, the cost of converting is too much for most people, whos radios are perfectly suited to them.
Robert.
Old 04-05-2002, 03:32 PM
MTT
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MPX Starter radio

They might not be famous, at least here in the U.S., but I think Multiplex has 2 good starter radios, with the Pico (max 5 channels) and the Cockpit MM ( 4-7 channels).

I think the main reason that MPX 30xx/4000 series have not got more acceptance here in the U.S. is the fact that they are tray-style TX's, and hand held TX's are way more popular over here, and that is the market MPX is aiming at with the Royal evo.
What I don't understand is the fact that it hasn't shown up yet on the MPX USA website.

I for myself, just traded my Cockpit MM for a mc3030, and love it !
The ease and flexibility of the programming is awesome !
And my next radio for sure is going to be the Royal evo, once it is available over here !

As to 12 channel TX's, JR already has one, theGraupner mc-24, which is made by JR forGraupner, although it is not available in 72Mhz.
See it here : http://www.graupner.com , under R/C equipment, at the bottom of the page. It says that it has 24 channels, but thats because of Graupners way of counting channels, when they say 2 channels, they mean 1 function.

Michael
Old 04-05-2002, 04:06 PM
Steve_JR
My Feedback: (6)

There are 2 other things I think people look over regarding the Multiplex sales. You say, "why don't people buy more of them?" One person came up with a good point of them not having a begginer radio. ...well they do, just few begginers know about them! I mean think about it, when was the last time you saw an ad in a magazine or online that advertised the lower end multiplex radios? They never have a 3-in-1 deal begginer package. Their advertising department seldom shows the cockpit thing-a-ma-bob and the one that they do advertise is the profi4000 which is their most expensive radio. No one is going to buy that as a begginer. Heck I didn't even know there was a company called Multiplex until a year ago! People get started with JR and Futaba mainly and just stick with that.

Another thing is that they have the most ugly radios on the market! I think you would be surprised at how many people buy a certain radio because it looks good. You do it with aircraft don't you? However after all that I wouldn't mind having a mc4000 drop into my lap... -Steve
Old 04-05-2002, 06:31 PM
MTT

Steve, they have been running ads in S&E modeler for quite some time now, specially for the Cockpit MM !

As to the styling of the 30xx/4000 series, you are right its not one of the prettiest, however, I disagree with you on that this is what limits their sales.
I don't think that somebody who is considering spending around 1k for a radio system, will base his/her decision on the looks of the radio, but on its features !

Michael
Old 04-05-2002, 06:43 PM
Steve_JR

S&E modeler, exactly my point. They should be advertising in MAN and RCM or RCreport. That is where most the begginers are, not sailplane and electric magazine. Besides a 7 channel is too much for a begginer usually. They need a solid, basic 4-channel.

As for looks, I bet a lot of decisions between people getting the 9Z and 10x has come down to, "Do I want the one with the cool touch screen or the silver a blue anodized one...?" -Steve

Don't get me wrong, I really want an mc4000 tx!
Old 04-05-2002, 06:55 PM
Steve_JR

...okay so they do make a 4 channel... but they should still advertise right! -Steve
Old 04-05-2002, 09:07 PM
robert

I agree with Steve, that alot of people would base their decision on looks. When you just browsing around, looking for your radio, first thing that caught my eye were big, lots of cool switches, and big screens, with digi trims, not flat VERY big trays with lots of dials. By the way, I am not sure about how the price for the big German radios run, but I think that you might have to upgrade the radio with special switch packs to get all those channels. Not sure though. One other feature I do like with those radios are switches ontop of the sticks. Another one for you Futaba!!!
Old 04-05-2002, 10:05 PM
MTT

OK, guys, I agree on the advertising !
You're right, they should advertise more in the more coomnly read mags, if they want to get into the market.

@robert : In Germany, you can get the 30xx unexpanded, but here in the US they sell the fully expanded version (9 channels)
The 4000 is 12 channels always, the only thing you have to decide where and what kind of switches you want.

Michael
Old 04-06-2002, 06:53 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

Boy, I came back here to check what info others have on the Futaba 12Z, only to find this thread taken over by Multiplex. I'm sure they are good radios, but perhaps discussion in another thread titled "Why people don't buy Multiplex" would be more appropriate, no?
Old 04-06-2002, 07:41 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally posted by Volfy
Boy, I came back here to check what info others have on the Futaba 12Z, only to find this thread taken over by Multiplex.
Because we have to keep working to get the message across to most folks! Especially in the USA, people are not aware that Multiplex is way ahead of Futaba. Futaba likes you to think it invented new features, and all along they have been on Multiplex for years. But Mpx seems quite happy keeping low key sales of its radios so it isn't pushing and advertising and sponsoring big names the way Futaba does. This means that unless you make an effort to go looking, you will not know about Multiplex and quite reasonably think that Futaba/JR is the best available. Futaba likes you to think that its 9C is the only radio with the idea of a rotary selector for programming, when actually Mpx has been doing this for many years. In fact the Royal Evo has 2 of them and they are even re-assignable as controls and switches!

So whatever you want in a Tx, whatever you can imagine would be nice for Futaba to incorporate, its already in Multiplex. All the items that people have asked for in this thread to be put in a radio are in the Royal Evo.

Harry
Old 04-06-2002, 12:52 PM
MTT

Volfy, sorry for "intruding" on your thread, but I agree with Harry on this !

I have seen this already on other forums as well, people go on discussing at length the features they would like to have on their
JR's and Futabas, while they are already available on Multiplex.
Your thread was started because of the need or the wish for a 12 channel TX, all Harry and I did, was to inform you that 12 channel TX's are already available from Multiplex and Graupner.
And BTW, you can get your MPX TX with a selector switch for pos/neg frequency shift, so it will also work with Futaba receivers.

Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.