Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros
Reload this Page >

What low cost additional features would you like in a new Radio???

Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

What low cost additional features would you like in a new Radio???

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2004, 07:12 PM
AirBearMA
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What low cost additional features would you like in a new Radio???

I had a chance to see the new JR 9103 a week ago and really liked it a lot. I own a Futaba 9C because I considered it to be the most advanced "affordable" radio out when I bought it. As much as I like my 9C and liked the 9103, I feel they both are lacking in some features that could have been designed into them for very low cost which makes me wonder why one of the big manufacturers don't make a "killer" low cost radio.

I invite everyone to think about what features they would like to see in an affordable RC Transmitter or Receiver. Who knows, maybe the manufacturers will read this post and take up on some of the more reasonable suggestions.

I'll start with my first suggestion:

Install a USB connection in the transmitter so that Model setups could be downloaded to a PC. Since the radio is computerized, it would only require a $1 to $2 part and some software development to make this feature work.

The manufacturer could also sell (or give) a program that would allow the user to edit model setups on a PC and be able to download them back to the radio.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:37 PM
ZAGNUT

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: What low cost additional features would you like in a new Radio???

isn't it funny that ACE had a PC connection for their radios way back in the previous century? people turned their noses up at the plain metal box and spent their money on less capable radios with lots of flashy chrome....

dave
Old 10-11-2004, 07:43 PM
Mudsurfer1234

um, that is somehtin to ponder, how bout like it's own servo programming section, so you don't need the 150 dollar hitec programmer.

how bout a tachometer out the bottom so you can test the engine RPM's without worrying about the antennae in the way, or a temp gauge.

a regular clock, a backlit display for night flying, mp3 player is taken by that dumb 14 channel, um, glow starter charging plug? for when you're not flying, maybe even a phone haha
Old 10-11-2004, 11:46 PM
red baron 99

just to expand on the PC / USB connection

USB connection - fully capable for ANY USB device (disc drive, memory stick, media card reader, etc)

model downloads - should be table driven & standardized on database / file type

model backups - inverse of above

using model backup & download capabilities to store additional models off line

Tx software updates

The Red Baron
Old 10-12-2004, 07:04 AM
Jeff S.

An engine kill button like the Hitec Optic 6. Great idea to use a small button for this instead of one of the switches. There should also be a way to program it so that it would move throttle and throttle trim to their minimum positions.
Old 10-12-2004, 04:41 PM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Jeff S.

An engine kill button like the Hitec Optic 6. Great idea to use a small button for this instead of one of the switches. There should also be a way to program it so that it would move throttle and throttle trim to their minimum positions.
But it would be even better if you could operate this button without having to take your right hand off the stick to do so!

I *know* (from experience) that there are occasions when it's very desirable to be able to kill the engine without releasing the amount of aileron/elevator you might have applied at the time. The button on the E7 is in the wrong place for "emergency" use.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:53 AM
3D Joy

I would love to see 3-rates switches at the place the 2-rates switches are positioned on every othe Futaba radio. The 9C has triple rates and I would not even use then only because they are in the wrong place... Now lets talk about zero investment, just place the existing switches correctly!

I would like to be able to set the low rate (I use a 8U with dual rates) to lower than 30% of full travel. On elevators, when on 3D rates (100%) you have way too much throw even on low rates, which are at minimum 30%. On one of my planes, i was forced to use a second switch with a P-mix set at -50% to reduce the rates in half. I must be carefull to switch BOTH switches to change rates ro I can get into troubble fast.
Old 10-17-2004, 02:13 PM
Tsutomu Mabuchi

I want the servo delay function( slow down the servo speed)on
the middle class radios. Guess only Futaba 9ZA has it.
It's very useful to me for lowering the flaps slowly like a
full scale. And it can be used even to a retractable gear.
A high torque non-retract servo using that function can lower and
retract the gear like a real airplane . It's an electrical actuator.
A very slow speed and high torque retract servo can do the
same, though.
There are many pneumatic retracts that are well made, I'm using
some, but I still don't like to pump up before flying.

Tsutomu Mabuchi
Old 10-18-2004, 03:42 AM
HarryC

Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tsutomu Mabuchi
I want the servo delay function( slow down the servo speed)on
the middle class radios. Guess only Futaba 9ZA has it.
Servo speed control is on three of the Multiplex radios, two of which are 1/3 of the price of the Futaba 9Z in Europe, though they are still not what you would call mid-price radios.

H.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:19 PM
Tsutomu Mabuchi

Do they?
Multiplex does not have their distibutors in Japan so they are not
popular in Japan, guess the reason is Futaba, JR and Sanwa are
in Japan. As a matter of fact, I have never seen not only Multiplex
but also european radios being used here in Japan.
The most flyers of us use mode 1 as european flyers do, though.

Tsutomu Mabuchi
Old 10-23-2004, 01:13 AM
mr.rc-cam

Forget the high tech stuff. I would like to see them fix these age old issues:
1) Fix the PPM shift silliness. Standardize to positive shift or offer shift selection on the Tx.
2) Unified servo connectors. Why should we have to trim Futaba servo tabs when we use JR or Hitec Rx's?
3) Unified Charger polarities on the Tx. JR is neg center, futaba is pos center.
4) Eliminate the protection diode in those Tx's that have them. Some of us want to use our aftermarket chargers.
5) Install low battery alert buzzers that can be heard at the field (or felt via a vibration).
6) Install higher capacity batteries in the Tx's. The 600mAH size are stone age.

RC-CAM
Old 10-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Cajun

AMEN Mr. RC Cam.

The high end computer radios contain more crap than most can handle now.

Your suggested six fixes would make RC life less stressful. Add one, place the el. and ail. DR swithes on the same side in all radios.

A good and simple six channel radio with DR and EXPO with a properly located kill button and possibly elevon mixing sounds like a great improvement to me When a new guy comes to the field and asks what radio to buy, my answer would be immediate and confident.

It appears to me there's enough high end computer junk available for those who want to tinker rather than fly. I get my chuckles by watching these electronic junkies standing over their planes, looking puzzled at the transmitter while punching buttons furiously for 30 minutes prior to take-off,,,,only to have the plane crash on take-off or barely fly because they punched one too many buttons or punched the wrong button while in the wrong channel mode[:@][&:] About that time someone in the pits states very elequantly, "I thought this was supposed to be fun!!"

Cajun[8D]