Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Aileron servos that see-saws

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Harigo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aileron servos that see-saws

I have had two planes that the aileron servos (best describe as) see-saws back to the center position from the extremes. That happens on only one aileron. The two planes had different set ups. One used a Y-harness and the other two separate channels for the aileron. What is the cause of this and how do I solve the problem?
Old 10-13-2004, 11:56 AM
smokingcrater

Default RE: Aileron servos that see-saws

bad servo pot, bad connector, or bad Y-harness, could be any of those. Some of my servos do that on a freshly charged 6v pack.
Old 10-13-2004, 02:13 PM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Default Aileron servos that see-saws

I agree with the above post. Any time that's happened to me it was either the connector being dirty or cheap. Also, some of the extensions and harnesses out there aren't the best conductors because of either wire size, or just plain low quality. Can you swap out the extension, or just try the servo without an extension_bob
Old 10-14-2004, 01:29 AM
sfsjkid

I've had this happen the most often on my cars with cheap servos, or servos not rated for cars. There is a hysterisis at center, ie, when you let go of the stick, the servo moves a little past center, then the other way before centering and finally settling down.The vibration just kills the pot as everyone has mentioned.

Now, in using the same model of servo on my planes, the problem does not manifest itself as often, but can happen. You need to make sure that you don't torque down too hard on the mounting screws (you are using gromments?) and also make sure the case of the servo does not contact your plane or mounts, which would tend to transmit vibration directly.

In my experience, bad servo extensions usually case slow movement

Good luck!
Old 10-14-2004, 04:43 AM
Harigo

Thanks for the replies... there does not seem to be one reason for this problem. I will try the different suggestions and come back to you all.