Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba T14MZ price is posted at Tower

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 06:14 PM
jfangohr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba T14MZ price is posted at Tower

Well, the price is posted. You may want to draw a deep breath before you look:

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LNJHG6&P=G
Old 10-13-2004, 06:25 PM
Lynx

Default RE: Futaba T14MZ price is posted at Tower

The bleeding edge of state of the art laptops don't even cost that much. Goes to show you the absurd state of the RC industry.
Old 10-13-2004, 06:57 PM
The PIPE

Default Thank you SO much, GORDON ANDERSON...

Dear Fellow RCU'ers:

The PIPE here again...of course, where I fly KNOBBY radios EXCLUSIVELY...

...I'm just glad that at

http://mstar2k.com/ ....

...is ALL the radio I'll EVER need...!

Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE!
Old 10-13-2004, 07:06 PM
CDignition
My Feedback: (9)

lol...you got to be kidding,lol...MPX Profi 4000 is 9 years old now, and can likley beat that radio....
Old 10-13-2004, 07:18 PM
mvigod
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think for that price that comes with the 14 channel 2048 resolution synthesized PCM rx (servos too maybe?) but not sure. Anyone have info on the bundling?

I did play with this radio at the hobbyvisions show last week. It is real nice. Not for the sunday sport flyer obviously but for those flying competitively in IMAC, pattern or flyers who want the cutting edge (jet pilots, large scale birds) this radio breaks the glass ceiling. Ultimately this bleeding edge technology is good because often times much of the technology trickles down into the mid tier products over time.
Old 10-13-2004, 07:18 PM
RightThrust
My Feedback: (4)

*sighs* [sm=tired.gif] Sure it can...

ORIGINAL: CDignition

lol...you got to be kidding,lol...MPX Profi 4000 is 9 years old now, and can likley beat that radio....
Old 10-13-2004, 07:20 PM
RightThrust

Any info on some features of the radio RCAdmin?

-Kelly Gerber
Old 10-13-2004, 07:23 PM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: RightThrust

Any info on some features of the radio RCAdmin?

-Kelly Gerber

here is a thread that is growing fast with most of the scoop on this radio

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.a...05427&key=14mz

also you can go to www.14mz.com
Old 10-13-2004, 11:45 PM
Peter Khor

fwiw list prices in Japan:

T14MZ
280,000 Yen = 2,518 USD

9ZWC2
237,000 Yen = 2,132 USD

I'd suppose one can guesstimate street price of the T14MZ from current 9Z prices in the US (I'm almost certain that the current Tower Pricing is not finalized).
Old 10-14-2004, 07:11 AM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I really hope so
Old 10-14-2004, 08:35 AM
Highflight

Having waded through this entire thread, not one poster showed any curiousity about WHAT the programming differences are with this radio, or HOW this radio implements it's programming features. It might be time to get real, gentlemen, so let's start at the beginning:

A Transmitter is a compilation of only two things; hardware and sofware. Period.

The hardware is the "cool" stuff, but in the end, you're going to end up with nothing more than a combination of sticks, buttons, knobs, levers, and a way to input settings. Interestingly, that's what everyone in this thread is so excited about, but it's the hardware that is least important (as long as it offers a bunch of the above and located nicely which pretty much all radios do nowadays).

The software is where 99% of things happen in a computer radio, and for a radio to be exciting (which the 14Z damn well better be at over $2000!), then I'm going to want to see not only the most incredibly long list of programming possibilities and mixes, I'm also going to want the programming and mixing to be EXTREMELY intuitive. If extreme capability doesn't come with extremely easy and extremely logical programming, all we'll have is another 9Z of which most owners may use only 20% of it's features for fear of screwing up some existing programming if they try to wade their way through the archaic menus and 2 pound manual.
It is for those reasons that the Profi4000, an "old" design by today's standards of ergonomics, is STILL the leader in the RC hobby with regard to both complexity AND a sensibly executed programming logic. I'm not arguing with any knowledge that the Profi4000 will still be more capable than the 14Z; I'm simply pointing out that MPX "gets it" about what RC transmitters are for; and it's NOT about the ooh-ahh factor of the case. It's about how well the product will fullfil our needs for flying pilotless aircraft. We can only hope that Futaba has ripped off MPX with regard to software design philosophy as much as they did with smoohting out the lines of the transmitter case ala EVO/Cockpit.

So I'll happily fly the bejeebers out of everything I own with my "cheapy" ($510) 36 model memory, 12 channel, synthesized EVO until the jury comes in with REAL information about the 14Z, and I certainly hope that the 14Z introduces a new level of logical, intuitively easy, and unlimited programming capabilities. Because it's going to HAVE to be AT LEAST that good (as the Profi4000) if it's going to persuade Profi4000 owners (which isn't me) and even EVO owners (that's me) in order to convince me to pluck down over $2000 for a piece of plastic with a bunch of sticks, knobs and buttons.

So if we want to talk 14Z, let's talk PROGRAMMING.

Highflight
Old 10-14-2004, 09:15 AM
Bob101

I thought when this radio came out it would be very pricey and drive down the price of the 9Z as people would say "I'd just as well get the 14MZ instead for just a little more".

However - so far the prices are so far apart I can't see that happening.

I've been looking at new radios for the last few months and was interested when I saw this one. Figuring if I really want a nice upgrade it would last a long time. However so far no details have been released. I can't imagine it being so much better programming wise to be twice the price of a 10X or a 9Z. I imagine there are people who will buy it because it's cool, it's new, or people who truly need more than 10 channels. But I can't see the software/feature end of it being worth twice as much.

I guess now I'm back to deciding between a 10X and a 9Z. I would buy a Multiplex Royal Evo 9 channel in a heartbeat if it weren't for the whole expo thing - you have to have the same amount across all flight conditions - which just kills it for me.
Old 10-14-2004, 11:38 AM
Highflight

ORIGINAL: Bob101

I guess now I'm back to deciding between a 10X and a 9Z. I would buy a Multiplex Royal Evo 9 channel in a heartbeat if it weren't for the whole expo thing - you have to have the same amount across all flight conditions - which just kills it for me.
One of the things that I would think would be a "deal breaker" would be if the 14Z is NOT downloadable (from the Internet) upgradeable like the EVO is. Those who had a 9Z but then wanted the "improved" features of the 9ZWCII had to buy a complete new (expensive) radio.
Even though Expo wasn't implemented the way many would like in the last MPX (free and downloadable) upgrade, it STILL might happen and when it does, it will still be free.

I can't imagine someone spending more than $2000 for a radio and then having it become obsolete the moment an improvement is made to it's software. Whatever you might think about the EVO, at least they got that part right. As far as Expo not being a selectable across flight conditions, I'm sure some feel they need that, but I have yet to come up with any flying that I do that requires it, and I use Expo for every one of my aircraft.

For all the excitement about the 14Z, I would hope that it would have 6 or more flight phases, 100+ model memory, and assignment and adjustment of Expo in any of the flight phases. If the 14Z WON'T do that, and based on what some have said about the EVO, I'm sure the 14Z would be dead in the water if it doesn't.

Highflight
Old 10-14-2004, 11:55 AM
Bob101

What I'm saying is I thought the next "big" radio was gonna going to be a replacement for the current 9Z. This doesn't seem to be the case.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:24 PM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

No trying to start anything here, but has anyone really felt that 1024 output was not enough?

I cannot get any of my best servos to move after a one unit pulse width increase on a 1024 system. So the servo accuracy is just not there for 2048....maybe the repeatability is better for centering maybe? I am not even sure the pots in the sticks can center that well.

As for a more rapid frame rate, I guess that is better. But I am not sure what they did not add even more channels if they have that much bandwidth now.

To me this will be a real marketing coup if Futaba can convince everyone they needed 2048 for a $1000 premium !! Good for them!

Like I said, a $2200 radio that can still be shot down by a 12 year old with a 100 buck hitec....sheesh.....
Old 10-14-2004, 02:27 PM
mvigod
Banned

My understanding is that the 14MZ is in fact software upgradeable over the internet. It has USB and you should be able to upgrade software, exchange programs with other flyers and more. Say chip hyde is flying a plane and you just bought the same one. He could put his program up on the net and you could d/l it and have it right there on your 14MZ instantly.
Old 10-14-2004, 03:21 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Ya know... I own a 9ZWCII, a 9ZAP and a 9CHP (and a host of other Futaba TX's too for that matter) so far be it from me to proclaim that I don't pi$$ money away on the latest and greatest in radios. On top of that, I'm an MCSE and network design engineer by trade so I always want the best in gadgets BUT...

$2300!?!?!? To heck with that. That's most of a 30-35% airplane to me give or take a few dollars. Do I need another 30%+ airplane? Not really. I have 6 but if I spend another $2300, you can bet it will be on another plane and not this radio as much as I'd love to have one.

Where's the beef? I tell you one thing; Futaba better get real with its marketing and get a reality check on this price because if this really is the price, I hope everybody in AMERICA boycotts buying one of these until they realize they have priced themselves right out of the hobbiest's market which is the market that MAKES them. It's not the corporate sponsored pilots that keep Futaba RC in business; it IS the Sunday afternoon flyers.

$2300?!?!?! I'll switch to JR first and that will probably cost me twice or maybe even over three times as much. I don't care. It's a principle thing with me. That price is RIDICULOUS if it's real.
Old 10-14-2004, 06:43 PM
Flying Geezer
My Feedback: (14)

Oh, come on guys, get out your wallets. Think of the BRAGGING RIGHTS! If you can push a button and it will autopilot land your plane, then I'm in.
Old 10-15-2004, 02:46 AM
XJet
Banned

The only reason for having a *fancy* and very large color LCD display stuck on the bottom of your transmitter should be to make programming easier and more intuitive.

However -- since most transmitters spend 99% of their time remotely controlling a model and probably less than 1% of their time being programmed -- that's a lot of baggage to carry around when it's not really needed.

If ergonomics and *practicality* were the driving force behind such a transmitter (which I can see they're not) then the transmitter would have just a small LCD display for status reporting and minor program changes, but it would come with a pocket PC that had the fancy screen. The PPC would simply plug into the USB (or whatever) port and allow you to do *everything* the T14MZ can do -- but when it's not being programmed, you'd save all that space and weight. Also important is the fact that you could lock that PPC away in its case when flying -- thus avoiding accidental damage to that expensive screen when it's not being used.

What's more, by using off-the-shelf hardware for the PPC, they could have dramatically reduced the price of this transmitter (probably by half) and thus made it far more affordable for a significant proportion of modellers (thus producing greater profits for Futaba). I think they've made a "gee whiz" lemon here that will sell only in very small quantities -- which is probably why they've had to price it so high if they've any hope of breaking even.

The T14MZ is a bit like carrying around a full workshop on a trailer behind your car just because every few months you need to have a lube-job and service done.

Remember the first rule of practical ergonomics -- if it's not helping, it's hurting!
Old 10-15-2004, 06:31 AM
Highflight

On first thought, I sort of like your idea of a separate PPC that plugs into the transmitter for programming. But then, I think of all the times that I make adjustments and programming changes while I'm actually flying (with an EVO and it's Digiadjusters) and realize that we need to have all input features available to us all the time.

I think we do all agree that the price of this product is obscene. I don't care what the industry is, all manufacturers do market research to determine the many factors of how their product can be positioned in the marketplace, and pricing is one of those factors. A company that totally ignores the competitive pricing levels of their own industry is going to have a difficult time.
What this all leads up to is features and capability. The 14Z is going to HAVE to have features and capabilities WAY beyond anything out there right now in order for anyone to take the product seriously. In today's market, I think serious RC pilots will be making direct comparisons to the Profi4000 in terms of programming capability, and for the $2200 price, the 14Z is going to have to blow away the Profi4000 in every way if it's going to succeed. And I do mean in serious ways, not with gimmicks or a big screen and fluff like that.

For a start, I have yet to see where it's doubled resolution is going to make any real difference in the real world, but I'll keep an open mind and wait until the "real world" reviews come in.

Highflight
Old 10-15-2004, 07:29 AM
locoworks

i keep reading about how you could send your model setup to a fellow modeller over the internet. NOT SO, to do this you would need to have the same servo's, linkage geometry, servo arms, control horns etc etc etc. No 2 models ever have an identical setup. at the very least ATV's would be different and also subtrim. keep wishing folks.
Old 10-15-2004, 07:31 AM
Johng

Every item that I've seen that has a color LCD screen - cell phones, GPS, etc. , use significantly more power than their monochrome counterparts. I see the color screen as a power hogging drawback. Maybe you can play realfight on it when the weather's bad? Anyway, I hope you can shut that sceen down when you aren't programming.
Old 10-15-2004, 08:31 AM
Highflight

Whiz bang features aside (i.e., features that excite but aren't important to the purpose of the product), there are going to be some who have to have the latest, most expensive radio just to say they have it. And I'll bet that more than half of the sales of the 14Z are going to be those kind of sales. I'm imagining a bunch of people who aren't knowledgeable enough to take advantage of all the features of the radio they already have going out and buying yet another radio they won't know what to do with ("It does EVERYTHING!.. if I ever learn how to use it.)

That happened with the MPX EVO to some extent, and now we see some people all bent out of shape because they have found something or another that it won't do exactly in the way they expect (even though it's more advanced in programming than 99% of the other radios currently available).

I'll make the prediction that will happen with the 14Z as well.
When it comes out with all the wonderful things it does (I hope someone at Futaba remembers to make sure it still flies airplanes ), someone is going to discover something it won't do and then we'll see a 1000 post thread emerge with all the complaints such as how this $2200 radio can't even run a "simple" (and of course, absolutely "necessary" ) mix where the Expo in one Flight Phase can't be linked to the Expo in another Flight Phase so that Dual Rates will cancel when the Expo of the stick in the first Flight Phase reaches 20% throw but only when the Expo in the second Flight Phase is set to more than 30%.

You watch; I can see the future.

Highflight
Old 10-15-2004, 11:16 AM
flexi3

What you forget is that this raido is not for the Sport Flyer, if you spend 20,000 on a plane what is 2000 for a radio.
This is for the best of the best.
Old 10-15-2004, 11:56 AM
mvigod
Banned

ORIGINAL: locoworks

i keep reading about how you could send your model setup to a fellow modeller over the internet. NOT SO, to do this you would need to have the same servo's, linkage geometry, servo arms, control horns etc etc etc. No 2 models ever have an identical setup. at the very least ATV's would be different and also subtrim. keep wishing folks.

Of course this is true. However the bulk of the settings and mixes would all be there and ready to use with zero to minimal adjustments. Fine tuning of atv and subtrim would almost certainly be necessary but that to me is the easy part. This would essentially get you 90% of the way there and you could be flying with the exact mix of a TOC pilot.

This radio is not aimed at the beginner. It is being marketed towards the competitor, those who need more channels (jets, scale models), those who want synth frequency, those who love to be on the cutting edge and the best of the best. Just about anybody who bought a 9Z is a potential customer for this radio. The 9Z's functions cater to a specific market and this radio is also geared to the higher end market. As somebody above said what is a couple grand when you spend 5 grand to 30 grand on a single model.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.