Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

New to r/c planes. need tips on radio syetem

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 06:09 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default New to r/c planes. need tips on radio syetem

Hello. I've been out of r/c for a long time and getting back in. I'm looking for a plane radio system (4 channel, 4 servo) and wanted to find out what are some of the features that I should look for and what are some of the recommendations you guys can give me. I'm on a very strict budget so those $300 and up radios are out of the question. Should the radio be AM or FM, etc, etc, etc? Thanks
Old 10-26-2004, 12:49 AM
RC4U

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to r/c planes. need tips on radio syetem

I like PCM radios, I think they are less prone to interference. The Futaba 6exa with 4 servos and receiver new is about $229.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:08 AM
Phil Cole

You won't be spending anything like $300 on a 4-channel system.

Just about all radios will be FM. PCM is a variation of FM that can improve range and resist interence to some extent. PCM receivers cost somewhat more. Any transmitter that transmits PCM can also be set to normal FM (aka PPM) for use with regular receiver. You'll be spending almost all of your $300 for a PCM system.

Feature that I find useful are:

1. Mulitple model memories. Once you have more than one model, the ability to store and recall different setups (particularly the trim settings) is very useful. You need only buy the airborne equipment for subsequent models.

2. Expo. Makes the controls softer in the center of their travel, then progressively more active as you move towards the extremes of control travel. Makes it possible to have fairly aggressive controls but still have fine control in the middle for straigh, level flight.

3. Adjustable travel (ATV or EPA). Change control throws from the transmitter. Doesn't completely eliminate the need for mechanical adjustments, but you can set throws exactly to what you want instead of putting up with choosing between too much or too litttle.

4. Dual rates have some use on models that have a wide speed range. Also used to switch between "mild" and "wild", depending on how you want to fly.

5. Mixing. If you have two aileron servos, then airbrake, flaperon or aileron differential can be useful, depending on the model. V-tails will need v-tail mixing, and flying wings and deltas need elevon mixing. These don't apply to four channel radios, but should be present (and quite a bit more) on six and seven channel radios within your $300 budget.

6. If you are going to be using flaps, then the ability to set fixed flap positions (normal, takeoff, landing), operated by a three-position switch is a lot more usable than trying to set flap position with a knob on the front panel while your hands are occupied with flying. Dialing the elevator trim changes so they occur when you operate the flaps is also very useful. What I'm trying to say here is that a simple flap knob without the other things isn't all that useful.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:41 AM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hard to beat the new Hitec Optic 6, check it out and compare to others of similar price, I think it will sell itself to you.
Old 10-26-2004, 10:59 AM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the info (especially Phil Cole for the rundown of useful features and the rest of you with tips on the actual models to get. I will go to Tower, etc and do a little more research on the types you guys suggested.

Now what do you think of a J-LINE QUATTRO 4 CHANNEL? I can get access to a slightly used one through a friend for slightly less than a brand new radio.
Old 10-29-2004, 04:01 PM
Fisher

I have been flying a Slow-V and Stryker with the dedicated TX and RX and am thinking about taking the jump to Real Radio Gear so that I can try out other planes. The Optic 6 and Futaba 6 channel computer radio both look like good lowend computer radios.

Will it be cheaper or easier to put together flight packs for either radio. I am a cheap person and it is hard for me to open my wallet and spend $100 for electronics to put into a $45 plane.

Any thoughts?
Old 10-31-2004, 12:25 PM
depfife
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_22...tm.htm#2289379

There is another thread open in the Beginners forum on this same topic. I am closing this one. Follow the above link to the open thread.

Eric