Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Futaba charging question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 07:31 PM
bobmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Futaba charging question?

I just bought a Futaba 4yf radio. My question is how do I know when the charge is complete? The manual says that when charging, the led lights for the tx and rx will light. When charge is complete, unplug from wall. I am assuming that when the charge is complete, the lights will go out? I know this is a stupid question, but the manual does not address this. Thanks.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:56 PM
JohnBuckner
My Feedback: (1)

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: Futaba charging question?

Bob, not at all a stupid question as a matter of fact its a very good one. The wall chargers that come with most radio sets are not peak detecting automatic chargers. They will go on their merry way charging at a low rate untill the bettery is damaged or destroyed, the lights will not go out.

A totally discharged set of batterys will typically take up to 14/16 hours for a full charge with those chargers. Another good indicator is when the batterys become warm to the touch but not hot. Aftrer most flying sessions the battery is not totally discharged and what many people will do is just charge overnight when flying when they are active flying every few days. Do invest in a good loaded tester for the purpose and learn to use it.

John
Old 11-01-2004, 10:22 PM
bobmac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

John, thanks for quick response. I should be fully charged by morning! Bob
Old 11-01-2004, 10:30 PM
BillS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They will go on their merry way charging at a low rate untill the bettery is damaged or destroyed, the lights will not go out.
Does this seem like appropriate use of the current technology to you?

Bill
Old 11-02-2004, 02:13 PM
Rodney

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you are using the charger that came with the gear, no problem. Charge at least 16 hours the first few time you charge, longer will not damage the battery. As long as you never run the battery down to the 1.1 volts per cell, subsequent charge times of 10 hours would be safe, even if you had just let it set fully charge for the previous week or so. You are safer (from a failure due to low battery) to always charge at least 10 hours prior to flying, you will not hurt the battery doing that.