Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Alternative to HS225MG servos

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2004, 03:15 AM
XJet
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternative to HS225MG servos

As you'll see in a thread running in the Hitec support forum, I (and others) have had a really bad run with Hitec's HS225 servos.

The gearsets on these servos are *so* week that I've already been through three of them -- one failed during bench-running with *NO* load, the other two when doing nothing more than operating the throttle barrel on my TT46 (no binding, a vibration isolator and servo endpoints set well short of the throttle stops).

Hitec's response is "send them back and we'll fix them" -- but with three gearsets broken in just over a month (always the same ultra-thin nylon cog -- even in the metal-gearset version) and looking at the experiences of others, I believe that this is simply a servo that is being grossly over-rated (64oz torque 0.1 transit time, 0.99oz).

In some 35 years of RC flying, I've *never* broken a gearset before and I currently have several dozen Hitec servos from HS81s through HS700s -- these are the *only* ones that have ever caused me any grief -- so I don't think it's anything I'm doing wrong here.

An even more interesting observation is that I've had failures with both the metal and nylon gearsets and in every case it has been the small nylon gear (common to both sets) that fails. This indicates that there is absolutely *no* point in spending an extra $7 per servo to get the metal-gear version -- the MG servo is no stronger at all so all you'll get is more slop after a few flights (if you get that many before they strip their guts out).

So, what I'm looking for is a similarly sized/weight servo that uses gears which won't shatter into a million pieces if you sneeze on it and which is reasonably priced (the HS225MG is $28).

These servos will be used in a .32-powered speed-combat wing so they need to be light, strong and relatively fast -- everything the HS225MG was *supposed* to be but certainly isn't.

I'm looking at the HS85BB -- but how tough are these?
Old 11-10-2004, 08:13 AM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Alternative to HS225MG servos

Go to Horizon Hobbies and take a look at the Expert SL451 servo. They are about $24, similar specs as the 225, and seem to be working very well for me in Nelson powered Quickees. I don't believe they make them with Metal Gears, but the Nylon ones I have been using are great.

I still can't see the difference between these Expert Servos and the JR 3121s ($65).

I am not aware of any other servo that is similar for this low price.