Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Datasafe2 interface problem:

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2002, 03:53 AM
rustyrivet
My Feedback: (6)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Datasafe2 interface problem:

I've got a year young Dell Pentium 4 computer. It seems my Dell Computer won't recognize the little plastic interface Module that pushes onto the nine prong socket in the back of the computer. The computer refuses to recognize a "port". (The light icon stays red on the screen, instead of green.) I am sure the Datasafe is not defective, and the problem lies with the computer. The folks at Horizon have tried to be very helpfull, but can't get inside my computer for me. What frustrates me is that my computer works like a charm with my G2 Simulator , my Palm Organizer, games, etc. BUT NOT THE DATASAFE2!!! Anybody else had this problem?
Old 08-21-2002, 12:41 AM
chuckgaudette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too have this problem. Unfortunatly I haven't been able to solve it either. I have a Dell P3. First the software wouldn't install properly and now it can't find a port. I even tried upgrading from Windows 98 to 2000 but no difference. Hopefully someone has a solution.
Old 08-21-2002, 02:10 AM
rustyrivet

Default Datasafe2 problems.

Chuck,
Right now the only thing I can think of doing for data back-up is to buy a used computer (that's not a Dell), or more likely, to buy a used 8103 transmitter to exclusivly transfer and store the data. The prospect of having to concern myself with having to send in two transmitters to JR Service for litheum battery replacements, is not encouraging.
BTW, I've been told that Gateway might be another computer that is not compatable with this software.
Old 08-21-2002, 04:42 PM
chuckgaudette

Randal
I don't think it has anything to do with Dell or Gateway. I tried it on another off brand computer running Windows 2000 and I have the same problem. There must be something we aren't doing right. I play around with it some more and let you know if I get it to work.
Old 08-21-2002, 07:48 PM
javaguy
My Feedback: (1)

Default Datasafe2

I was able to run the new datasafe2 under XP with a Pentium 4 without any problem. I was also able to run the old datasafe under XP with a special IO driver for XP/2000. I will find the URL and post it when I get home today.

Here is the url:

http://www.beyondlogic.org/

Long
Old 08-23-2002, 01:08 AM
chuckgaudette

javaguy

I tried the PortTalk Driver but the DataSafe still can't initialize a port. I installed it in the System32 Driver Directory as instructed. Is this the same software you used?
Old 08-23-2002, 01:46 AM
javaguy

chuckgaudette,

Can you get to the bios setting on your computer? You need to check to see if your com port is turn on. it is is turn on you have to set the port address and irq setting. I will reboot my system and get you the right setting for com1.

The setting for com1 port is 3F8/IRQ4

Long
Old 08-24-2002, 12:38 AM
chuckgaudette

Javaguy

Yes the port is on and the settings are the same as yours but it still doesn't work. I emailed Horizon to see if they have a suggestion. Thanks for trying I really appreciate it.
Old 08-24-2002, 02:31 AM
rustyrivet

Default Horizon

I Have spoke with Derek @ Horizon on numerous occassions, as well as his having swapped out the unit for me to make sure it wasn't defective. I believe that they no longer know what else to do for us, and would help more if they could. I've been advised to contact Dell Support. I am not angry with Horizon, and in fact have been very impressed with their courteous efforts in trying to please . But evidently, the Topper Company, who produces this software for Horizon to sell, doesn't know enough about their own products compatability with various computers, to offer the necessary technical support or "bulletin" to remedy the problem.

If I was Horizon having to deal with these problems, I'd be telling The Topper CO. to either figure out how to make their product work with a Dell ME or XP Pentium 4 computer or TAKE A HIKE! There must be better software engineering out there then this. (To start with: how about one that's designed with a CD instead of a disk! )
Old 08-24-2002, 10:55 AM
Vince

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your problem may be with Windows 2000. The driver database for Windows 2000 is not as extensive as 98 or XP. At work we use Windows 2000 because it allows more in depth security measures, but for ease of use I still prefer 98.

Vince
Old 09-04-2002, 12:22 AM
yamawho

Default Not just dell

I have tried to activate on cybermax AMD chip, & gateway pent 3. It's not the computer, some checkpoint somewhere is not being clicked.
Old 09-05-2002, 01:05 AM
cloudniner
My Feedback: (87)

Default Win 2000 and a Datasafe I

Hi there.

I am a software writer 'C++' and have almost finished a program that does a whole lot better job of interfacing with the JR 10X than the supplied program. Shows the various setting on the screen. Allows changing them from the computer and then sending changes back to 10X, etc.

I have not had any experience with the new Datasafe II but I am running the old program under Win 2000 with no problems at all.

Is this a problem with the new version only?

RSN
Old 09-10-2002, 11:02 PM
yamawho

Default Got the answer!!!!

I took this to the IT guys at work and they got it to work. It really doesn't matter what operating or computer system you have!!!! You have a block on your com port. I had Palm pilot software loaded that was locked into it and I didn't know it!! Even though I didn't have the cord in it locks during startup each time. Close the program and remove the from startup. If you have 2000 you can go into the control panel, services and double click com & events and hit stop! Works great now!
Old 09-11-2002, 04:06 PM
OmegaSyx

What exactly is the new Datasafe 2?? Is there a new version of the software??
Old 09-12-2002, 02:43 AM
rustyrivet

Default Yamawho has fixed it! He da man!

So that was the common link between the few of us that just couldn't get the thing to work. It wasn't Dell. It wasn't Windows Millenium. It was a Palm Pilot bug in the ointment!

You blew it Yamawho. Do you know you probably could have sold this information to the guys over there at the Topper Company who didn't have a clue, or to Horizon Hobby, just so I'd stop calling them and tying up their service department phones lines I'm sure this good information will be appreciated by these folks. I have no doubt the news will now travel fast. Many thanks. -Randall