Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Recycle Battery in Futaba Skysport.

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2004, 07:56 PM
tucker1865
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Recycle Battery in Futaba Skysport.

I have a Futaba Skysport T4VF Radio and I want to be able to recycle the battery. Futaba has a blocking diode..so can I cut the red and black wires to my battery and solder on sone connectors so that I can remove the battery or will this weaken the signal. Or is there a way to bypass the diode. HELP PLEASE
Old 11-30-2004, 03:13 AM
Lynx

Default RE: Recycle Battery in Futaba Skysport.

Just solder a piece of jumper wire (Ethernet cable works well) to short across the diode out. Keep in mind this will void your radio's warranty. However a lot of people do it to be able to charge without removing the pack. One thing people don't really think about is this will also increase battery life marginally because the diode causes a voltage drop (and hence some power loss) Even a tunnel diode will still cause some degree of voltage drop.
Old 12-01-2004, 12:03 PM
tucker1865

Lynx...I'm not sure where the diode is..I'm electronically challenged. I can solder though. How do you remove the battery when it goes bad. I removed the cover and circuit board but can't figure it out. Dave
Old 12-03-2004, 06:13 PM
tucker1865

Sorry guys...dumb question...I finally figured out it unplugs and spliced in a connector that is compatible with my charger. At least im still learning....Dave
Old 12-04-2004, 06:44 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sirius has a web page showing you where the diode is and how to block it. Use a small single strand of #24 guage wire ie servo wire or as Lynx said a single strand of Cat 5 cable. You use the small wire to act as a fuse in case you do accidentally reverse the charging polarity to the transmitter.
http://www.siriuselectronics.com/ind...ge=diode_sheet

John
Old 12-04-2004, 11:20 AM
patternwannabee
My Feedback: (1)

Since the battery pack unplugs, wouldn't it be a better idea to remove the battery to cycle it? You don't need to cycle it constantly.

All other charging operations can be done through the diode.
Old 12-06-2004, 05:56 AM
JNorton
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

patternwannabee,
Since the battery pack unplugs, wouldn't it be a better idea to remove the battery to cycle it? You don't need to cycle it constantly.
Kinda like discussing which is better Fords or Chevys. Some guys don't like taking the transmitter battery in and out with the stock connector. They feel with some justification that the connector wasn't designed for repeated use. Others have spliced in a Deans connector and used that. Some lazy people like myself jumper the diode.

The other reason people jumper the diode is they feel they get a better, more accurate peak on their batteries. They feel there is less chance of overcharging. Sirius chargers won't work with the diode left in place.

John