RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Can one 7 channel RX handle 8 Digital Servos???

Old 12-05-2004, 10:44 PM
baxternick
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Can one 7 channel RX handle 8 Digital Servos???

I am putting togeather a DPM Edge. This is my first large plane. I am planning on running a Duralite 7.4 volt 2000mah Li-Ion pack with 6V 7.5 amp regulator for power. I am running a standard Futaba 7 channel RX that came with my 7C. I am planning on running Hitec HS5925MG servos on the ailerons, and Hitec HS5945MG servos on the elevator, and rudder. The throttle is a standard BB servo. My question is will that one RX be able to handle all the current draw of the servos. If not can someone please explain another way to set this up...
Old 12-06-2004, 04:38 PM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Can one 7 channel RX handle 8 Digital Servos???

The RX doesn't handle the current at all. The servo's just get power from a simple bus bar at the servo' conenctors. With that many servo's it might not be a bad idea to look into a external power box, that's a pretty high amount of current to have going through a single bus. Especially when it's variable.
Old 12-09-2004, 11:44 AM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Can one 7 channel RX handle 8 Digital Servos???

Actually, your well within the capabilities of that setup. You should not have any problems as long as your servo leads are kept to the minimum. I have a GP Christen Eagle II running (4) HS-5645s (4 wing airlons, 2 channels, each y-connected with 2 servos), (2) HS-5475s (2 elevator servos on separate channels, (1) HS-5975 (1 rudder), (1) HS-81 (1 choke), and (1) HS-425 (1 throttle). That is 9 servos, 7 of which are digital, running through one Futaba R149 PCM RX. Battery is a 2200mah NIMH 6volt running through a heavy-duty double-pole MPI switch. On the average each of the wing and tail surface servos are connected to 12" extensions.

I have flown this configuration for the past season with no difficulties related to the power bus. I might modify it this winter by adding an additional battery and switch to obtain redundancy because I almost lost it when my battery connection came loose from the RX (lucky it happened on the ground with the engine at idle)