RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

I live too close to the field, what do I do?

Old 12-07-2004, 01:58 PM
seanucd2000
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default I live too close to the field, what do I do?

I recently moved, and found out the new field is barely over a mile from my house. It is great that I can make it to the field in under 3 minutes. However, I have to think twice when setting up planes or working on them in my garage when I turn on the transmitter.

I am pretty sure that if I leave the antenna down all the way, that I won't cause any problems if someone is at the field with my same channel. Or will it?

Also, I was considering building a Foamy to play with in the front yard. Am I stuck, or should I find a transmitter on 27mhz? Any other solutions?

I suppose if i just stole the frequency pins I have off the board at the field and left a note, all my problems will be solved. But, I would rather not do that!
Old 12-07-2004, 02:15 PM
JoeAirPort
My Feedback: (41)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: I live too close to the field, what do I do?

Very considerate and smart for you to think about that. I'm sure many people at your field will appreciate that. I would always keep the antenna down, the signal should not even come close to reaching your field. Also if you want to fly the foamy in the street, why not just go to the field since it's so close. I actually take a risk every time I fly my foamy at the playground. Who knows what kid might be running his monster truck in his back yard near by. That's why it's best to just fly at the field for me.

BTW, how cool to live so close to the field. You could hover your foamy down the street while walking to the field.
Old 12-07-2004, 02:38 PM
danny03

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

if your radio system (tx,Rcvr, and switch) supports DSC, then by all means use DSC. You can program and check your servo action without turning on your tx. The only battery that has to be turned on is your receiver. I am less than 1/2 mile from one of our fields and I have not had any bad experiences using. Heck I even fine tune my settings at the field while someone else is on my freq. I let everyone around know what I am doing and after showing them just exactly what it does and how, Ihave not had any complaints
Old 12-07-2004, 03:01 PM
Time Pilot

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Depending on the size of the club, you may be able to make some arrangements for your frequency. Maybe you could snag a channel all to yourself.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:05 PM
smokingcrater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

are you a member of the club? if not, I would just notify the club that you are using that frequency and your distance from them. It is up to them to avoid interference at this point, since you have notified them... Remember these frequencies are entirely unlicensed, and no one, not the AMA or an official club, has more priority then any single user.... (if you are a member of the club then ignore the above...)
Old 12-07-2004, 04:15 PM
seanucd2000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yes, I just joined, but have only have flown there once so far.

The direct connection is a great idea, but that won't allow me to drive the plane up and down the street to make sure it taxis straight, or fly a foamy in the front yard. Next time I am there, I will inquire about having one frequency and see how that goes over. Probably won't work too well if there is someone else that uses it, but we'll see.

Could I fly in the front yard with the antenna only partially up? Say one or two sections? I don't know enough about RF transmission and strength to know if that would work.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:28 PM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a very similar situation, Sean. I approached my club (friendly) with two suggestions:

1) Give me a channel to myself and restrict it at the club or

2) We both potentially suffer the consequences.

I'm sorry but my property so I have a right to fly there and that was my attitude (again, sincerely in a friendly way though my writing may not exactly sound that way). I have a 500' runway that IS my back yard and 200 acres; why SHOULDN'T I be able to fly here?

The club naturally agreed. Problem solved.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:43 PM
Lynx

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's a good idea to leave at least one extension of your antenna telescoped to avoid overheating the final RF stage of your transmitter. Like everyone says you should warn the club so that they post a notice that someone a mile away intermitantly uses this frequency at very lower power. Keep in mind that even if you had your antenna all the way up the chances of interfereing with another RC user on the same frequency aren't that great, the reason being that radio waves decrease in power exponentially the further away they get, and a receiver will always try to pick up the strongest signal it can receive and won't be able to 'hear' most anything else.. If you're 1 mile (as the crow flys) distant this gives a not too likley interference range of something like 1000 feet. So even someone flying a plane 1000 feet away at the field's center shouldn't have a problem with interference from your transmitter centered at your house. Seeing as how since He's 1/5 of a mile away from his plane and you're 4/5's of a mile away from his plane his transmitters signal will appear about 3 orders of magnitude stronger than yours. This is however only theoretical and some receivers may be more sensative to hits of this nature so keeping your antenna down to the first extension would be good practice. If I were you'd I'd try to find someone at the club that uses the same frequency as you and give it a whirl for real on the ground to see what happens so you don't have to guess or worry.
Old 12-07-2004, 05:36 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What I would do is to join the club and ask the club if there are any frequencies that are still unused. If so, then ask them to put that frequency aside as a NO FLY Channel. This will be yours to use whenever.
Old 12-08-2004, 03:30 AM
air-turk

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

You are very lucky to live close to a field.

If you want to use your transmitter at home, I strongly recommend talking to the club to reserve a channel for yourself.

Just keep in mind that although you have the right to turn on your transmitter, anybody at the field also have a right to turn on theirs. I would be very concerned if you were doing any live engine work or flying your plane in your back yard.

Transmitters work both ways, you know.

Keep them flying.
Old 12-08-2004, 04:11 AM
Roquewj
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

We live in a gated community and have our own club and flying field within the community.
We are a 100+ members and all live pretty close to the field. We just work, at home, with the antena collapsed and never had any problem.
Old 12-08-2004, 12:59 PM
staggerwing
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

seanucd2000,

If you are an AMA member then read item 5 in the Radio Control section of the 2005 AMA Safety Code.

Rich
Old 12-08-2004, 01:17 PM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It is normally very hard on your transmitter to run with the antenna collapsed, even only partially collapsed. The SWR (standing wave ratio) goes up which causes the energy normally radiated as RF to be dissipated as heat in your final stage of the transmitter. Unless your transmitter is designed with a very large and efficient heat sink (highly doubtful due to costs) the temperature will go up. Mean time to failure halves for each 10 degrees C that the temperature rises. While catostrophic or instant failure is unlikely, lifetime is definately shortened. A better sulution for you is to try to curtail your home operation to non flying hours at the field if the above solutions don't all pan out.
Old 12-09-2004, 12:11 PM
seanucd2000

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

All right then, I will work on the plane at night with the antenna up. If I need to work on it during the day, I will do it with the antenna down for short periods of time.

Works for me, unless I can get the club I just joined to agree to letting me have my own channel. But I won't ask for that yet until I get more comfortable there.

Wow, WilsonFlyer, I would die to have 200 acres to myself. That is my retirement goal 25 yrs from now, just to let you know. What do you even need a club for?!?
Old 12-09-2004, 05:06 PM
ZAGNUT

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

over here i know of three sites in a triangle formation that are separated from each other by about a mile and have not heard of any problems with interference.

dave
Old 12-09-2004, 05:57 PM
BillyGoat

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Many clubs track frequency use amongst the members. Since your new to this club you may want to inquire if they do, if so then you can see just how popular the frequency you use is. You might find a frequency that has zero users.

Since cell phone use is quite popular these days you could post a message on the frequency board that you live close, what frequency you use and invite people to call you if they will be using that frequency.
Old 12-10-2004, 07:36 AM
WilsonFlyer
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ahh Danielson... I farm too. with much space come much work and maintenance. No such thing as a free lunch. LOL

The club is for the comradary. My runway in my backyard is for when the comradary pisses me off. LMAO!!!!

Seriously; it gets pretty old and boring flying by yourself believe it or not. It's nice in the afternoons when you just want to walk out the door and "throw something up" (which I do about every day when weather permits) but I actually log more time at the field. It's just more fun out there with everybody else. I keep what I fly the most loaded and charged in the trailer and I can be at the field in <3 minutes. Really not that much different than flying in my back yard except there are other people there most of the time.