RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

FMA FS-8 receiver with gas engine? Anybody?

Old 12-08-2004, 12:10 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default FMA FS-8 receiver with gas engine? Anybody?

Anybody have any experience using the FMA FS-8 or possibly even the FS-5 receiver with a gas engine? I've been using Futaba 149DP PCM receivers with my other 3 gassers. I was thinking of trying the DSR enabled FMA receiver. Anyone have experience with it, either good or bad, with an ignition gas engine?

I noted in the instruction section on the FMA site that they recommend using chokes on the servo leads if using a gas engine.
Old 12-09-2004, 06:50 AM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: FMA FS-8 receiver with gas engine? Anybody?

been using the FS8 with gas for a while now with no problems at all. never saw anything about chokes in the manual but all my ignitions are fully shielded battery powered CDI units.

from what i've heard it's the magneto ignitions without any shielding that can cause problems for just about any receiver, "smart" or "dumb". keeping the servo leads short and as far away from the engine as possible is always a good idea, adding a shielded plug cap and lead is also smart.

dave
Old 12-09-2004, 10:33 AM
RCAddiction
My Feedback: (87)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: FMA FS-8 receiver with gas engine? Anybody?

Actually, except for my DA, my engines use C&H ignitions. I understand that C&H tend to be a bit noiser in RF than either DA electronic ignitions or magneto type. In battery ignitions, there is RF noise that can get back through the ignition battery wire and switch harness if any of those components are too close to the RX or other things connected directly to the RX. Typically the magneto ignitions, like Zenoah, have all the ignition components mounted to the engine, forward of the firewall. I thought that that those were not quite as dirty, RF-wise, or maybe it's just they are just located a bit further away from the RX?

thanks for the feedback.