RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Hitec or Futaba. Best brand?

Old 12-14-2004, 01:27 PM
Blue_Moon_

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Hitec or Futaba. Best brand?

What is the best brand considering durability and quality : Hitec or Futaba?
Old 12-14-2004, 01:30 PM
RightThrust
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Hitec or Futaba. Best brand?

What's the better car? Kia or BMW? Hope this answers your question, hehe.

-Kelly
Old 12-14-2004, 01:49 PM
bzrogers
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just go with Futaba. It is a lot higher quality and reliability. Too many poeple including myself have problems with all of there Hitec gear. Save yourself the trouble and do things right the first time.

Good Luck
BZR
Old 12-14-2004, 01:54 PM
Rodney

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As an owner of many of each Futaba and Hitec, I find them both to be quite good. Should problems arise though, Hitec is far superior when it comes to service, both in time and cost. I'm quite sure you will find either to be of high quality, go by your pocketbook, you can't go wrong with either.
Old 12-14-2004, 02:02 PM
Blue_Moon_

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Sorry for my english, "reliability", thats the word! Im currently flying with a Hitec flash 5 (the old one from ~1996...)

Im wondering about the quality becuse a couple of seasons ago i was winterflying with my trainer when suddenly a soldering came loose inside my transmitter. this caused a crash.
Im thinking about the futaba 9C OR the hitec eclipse 7! My confidence with Hitec is pretty faded.

So futaba is really like "porsche" or something compared with Hitec as a "Kia" ?
Old 12-14-2004, 03:44 PM
XJet
Banned

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Blue_Moon_
Im thinking about the futaba 9C OR the hitec eclipse 7! My confidence with Hitec is pretty faded.
The Futaba 9C is a *way* more capable radio than the Hitec Eclipse. Unfortunately the Eclipse is really showing its age now and it's an ergonomic disaster! For example, if you want to use flaps, you have to take your hand off one of the sticks in order to twist the knob for the flaps channel. Who on earth wants to take their hands off the sticks while doing a landing approach???

By comparison, the Futaba 9C (and even the cheaper Hitec Optic 6) has sliders on the back of the case that can be operated without having to remove your thumbs form the sticks.

The Eclipse also has no ability to re-designate channels or switches -- so (for instance) if you want to build a bird using separate aileron servos mixed in the transmitter, you can't use a regular 5-channel receiver because the Eclipse demands that you use channels 1 and 6 for ailerons while channel 5 is a restricted to non-proportional switch-activated retracts.

In fact the Hitec transmitter range is a bit of an mess at the moment because the Optic 6 is a much better design but only has 6 channels, while the Eclipse has a very userful extra channel but is just outdated when compared to other 7-channel sets on the market.

In my experience, Hitec is just as reliable as other brands and their support is often better -- but they've really focused on the bottom end of the market so many people have to change brands once they hit the limits of the E7 or Optic 6.

So if you can afford it (and even though I've got an E7 and have just bought an Optic 6), I'd recommend you go with the Futaba 9C -- lots of people around here have them and love them.
Old 12-14-2004, 04:59 PM
carlbecker
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

If you want flexibility go with Multplex. My old Hitec flash 5 was great until I flew in the rain. My Futaba 8u super just could not do what I wanted. Now I don't have to worry.
I have had few problems with either and Hitec has great customer service. I use about 45 Hitec servos in six different planes.

Carl