Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

More flight time?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2004, 12:13 PM
tazzdevl1
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More flight time?

I now this has been discussed before and I did a search. But did not find a clear answer. I'm using a 600mAH battery pack in my Big Stick 60 with 5 standard servos. The RX battery pack gets about two flights before it needs recharging. I want to extend my flight time between charges. Will using a larger mAH pack do this? Such as going from the 600 to a 1200mAH pack. If not what can I do to get more time, if anything?

Tazz
Old 12-11-2004, 12:34 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

Default RE: More flight time?

Yes. 600mah==>1200mah That would double the capacity, essentially doubling your available flight time.
I find it interesting though that you are only getting two flights from a 600mah pack, mine usually last all day(roughly 5-8 flights, sometimes more) without needing a charge.(I assume a normal 10-15 flight - no soaring )

Also, another way to squeeze some more time out of the pack is to make sure that no servos are binding(at neutral AND full throw either direction), use low resistance wiring, switch, and connectors. If possible, limit the number of servos plugged into the system(ie:4 instead of 5), and minimize stick movement(everytime you move a servo, it uses more current, and drains the pack faster). Of couse, if you're flying aerobatics, then it's not really feasible to not move the sticks...
Old 12-11-2004, 01:48 PM
Lynx

I somehow don't think flying straight and level all day is ever going to be a popular method of prolonging flight times
Old 12-11-2004, 01:52 PM
cwrr5
My Feedback: (32)

LOL! Not unless you're flying a SCALE airliner. hehehe! (I don't think I know how to fly straight and level! )

I was just throwing out options, not suggesting them. Best way is to upgrade the Rx pack to more capacity, and ensure it has a good charge.
Old 12-11-2004, 02:12 PM
tazzdevl1

Nope, flying straight and level is not an option. I have considered changing my push rods to a smoother set up. I'm sure that is eating up some of the energy. Maybe I'll try that before going to the bigger pack.

Tazz
Old 12-11-2004, 04:15 PM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

With 5 standard servos, you should get about 45 minutes to 60 minutes of flying time.
You want to figure that you are drawing anywhere from 200-250 maH for the aileron and elevator. The throttle and rudder are not being used much unless you are doing a lot of wind correction or other flying.
Old 12-11-2004, 05:08 PM
patternwannabee

Only 2 Flights on a 60 size plane with 600 mah pack with 5 standard servos sounds way too low.

What voltage is your no-fly cutoff?

What are you using to read your voltage? Is the charge jack where you plug in your voltmeter good?

After reaching the no-fly point, have you then discharged your batteries on a cycler to see how much mah you have left?

If so, and you have very little capacity left, then either the health of your 600 mah pack is in question, or there's something very wrong in your servo/pushrod or electrical setup.

One other thing, typically how do you charge your batteries, and when do you charge them?

To answer your question, I get about 4-5 10 min flights on a 60 size plane with standard servos with 5 servos on a 600 mah battery, and can extend that to 8-10 on a 1650 mah battery with juice to spare. Maybe I BS more at the field, but I don't seem to be using my field charger much any more.
Old 12-13-2004, 09:10 PM
aeajr
My Feedback: (2)

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

sounds like you have a servo or two that are binding and draining your pack, or you have a bad pack.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:02 AM
tazzdevl1

After careful inspection I found that the push rods had a lot of binding. So I changed them out using a better set up. Everything seems to move a lot better. I haven't had a chance to test fly it yet. But, I think I may have solved my issue with your help.

Thanks,

Tazz
Old 12-17-2004, 06:32 AM
Geistware
My Feedback: (16)

After the flight, give us some feedback