RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Programming EXPERT GLOW DRIVER w/8103

Old 12-18-2004, 09:31 PM
HiOne
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Programming EXPERT GLOW DRIVER w/8103

Hi all
This is my first post on RC Universe and let me tell ya's this is a great place to look for anything i want to know.My question is "I have a JR 8103 radio and just bought a EXPERT on board glow driver ,is there a way to program the controller to mix in the glow with the throttle servo on my radio ,or am i just gonna have to Y cable it and move on?Also i'm wondering if anyone can tell me if it's better to use the seperate channels for the ailerons and elevators on my u can do.I'm getting pretty good with this plane and want to know if there's a real advantage or notAny info will be greatly appreciated .I also have the twist 3d w/saito82a and i am really curious about this set-up

THANXS ALL
HiOne
Old 12-19-2004, 07:59 AM
Ed_Moorman
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Programming EXPERT GLOW DRIVER w/8103

I am not sure about the specifics of the Expert, but for the on-board drivers I know about, the throttle servo and the driver are chined with the receiver. The glow driver plugs into the receiver and the throttle servo plugs into the driver. Then you follow the driver instructions to set the on-off point.

I use the Flaperon Wing Type on my 8103 for nearly every airplane. This lets me use 2 aileron servos on different channels, right wing-aileron, left wing flap (ch6). There are several advantages to this. You can set the servo centering individually with sub trim for each channel. Then go to Elev-Flap mix and set 100% each way. Move the Flap-Mix switch up, hold full down and adjust the end points for each aileron to match. Then hold full up and do this end.

You can also use flaperons or spoilerons. For a 3D plane, I like the spoilers, both ailerons moving the same direction as the elevators. This helps in harriers, elevators and waterfalls. You'll have to experiment with your plane. Drop me an e-mail if I can be of any more help.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:45 AM
khodges

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The instructions with the Expert driver should tell you how to do this. I have one that I used twice, before it started smoking one day and almost set my plane on fire; it has 3 buttons on the right side and two connectors on the left, with a universal pigtail coming out the lower right corner, correct? The way mine was hooked up was to a separate channel mixed to the throttle, and the "set" button is used to establish the point where the glow comes on and goes off, generally about 1/4 - 1/3 throttle. However, "Y" connecting to the throttle channel is fine, also, and the set point works the same way.
I never pursued figuring out why mine Fox Uniformed, I was just glad I saw the smoke from melting foam rubber and got it out of the plane in time, then went and bought a Super Maxx from MPI. You can use it either manually or automatically; the throttle servo plugs into it, it plugs into the throttle position on the receiver, it turns on and off with the radio switch, although you should have a separate switch for the glow battery. I also mixed it to another switch which allows me to turn it on at any time during flight, regardless of throttle position. I used a 3 position switch; middle is glow- auto/throttle cut-off, up is glow manual-on, and down is glow off, throttle cut- on. This way, all my secondary throttle and ignition control is on one switch. I flip it up to start, allows the use of a higher throttle setting if needed, then to middle for normal use, then when I land, and at idle, flipping the switch down turns off the glow and cuts the throttle to kill the engine.

I don't know what engine or plane you're using, but I use 2 NiMH 2000 mAh "AA" batteries in parallel for my glow battery, that's 4000 mAh total. I can fly with the glow on all the time and burn 3 full 12 oz. tanks before I need to recharge. I do a lot of low throttle cruising, and generally just leave mine on for absolute reliability. I put one in because I was using an inverted 4-stroke, and have flown it a couple of times without the glow on, to see if I really needed it, and it ran fine without it, but why take the chance on a deadstick way out in the boonies?
Old 12-19-2004, 10:48 AM
khodges

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As for the aileron setup using separate channels-- this is the only way to program in differential (more up than down) with dual aileron servos, as well as the advanced flaperon ,etc settings.
Old 12-19-2004, 06:18 PM
HiOne
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm using the saito 100 inverted in a u can do 60 and everytime i came in low and slow ,then pulled vertical to hover at about 20'then hammered in the throttle to hold my hover the engine would just die.i could barely get it nose up before hitting the deck.I've tried everything to get it to stay running including moving the fuel tank lower and raising the motor on top of the mount .I'm hoping the glow driver (expert) will solve this issue.As far as setting up the ailerons and elevators on seperate channels that sounds great to me i just hope you guys can help me set it up properly.I will try setting it up sometime this week and im sure i will be asking you guys for more help so please be patient.The 8103 is my first real radio and i'm still kinda fuzzy on what all i can do with it