Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Tower Pricing = Insane!

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2004, 03:05 PM
DiscoWings
My Feedback: (76)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tower Pricing = Insane!

Man... what the heck is going on here...

ok check this out:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXEFJ4**&P=0
radio w/flight pack: 129.99

Now, Just the flightpack:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXXJ56&P=ML : 119.99
BUT you need the crystal for the reciver! so:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXBFK8**&P=V : 12.99

NOW lets compare:
Transimitter with everythng : 130
Flightpack with crystal: 134

umm ***? You mean I can get more with a radio then just having to buy a flight pack and even save money?[:-][&o]....

Anyone need some 4 channel radios?? LOL...
Old 12-23-2004, 05:15 PM
TopShelf
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Tower Pricing = Insane!

Yep, it seems odd but this has been the case for a long time. Just use the transmitter for a buddy box or donate to the club as a buddy box or for a new flyer needing cheap equipment.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:10 PM
cassidy
My Feedback: (5)

In most cases the flight packs are not good deals just as you have shown. In particular the Futaba flight pack gives you the 127 RX which is no bargin. Take your money and buy a decent RX. If size is not a problem get the Hitec with the shift select feature so it can be used with any radio. It sells for less than the Futaba and it is extremely reliable with a company that provides fantastic service.
Old 12-23-2004, 09:31 PM
XJet
Banned

Actually, you'd be a lot better off buying a receiver with DSP or IPD circuitry rather than an old fashioned "dumb" PPM receiver like the ones Hitec sells.

The Berg DSP has some *very* useful features, the best support in the business and a raft of more than satified users. It's smaller and lighter than most of the Hitec receivers (about half the size/weight of the Hitec Shift-Select Supreme), has auto-shift detect, transmitter signature recognition, PCM-like failsafe (in the 6-ch version) and a level of interference rejection that also rivals a good PCM set.

Best of all, they're actually cheaper than many of the far less sophisticated Hitec offerings:

$59 = Berg 5 DSP II *with* crystal (note, can receive ch 5 or ch 6 on 5th servo connector)

$61 = Hitec 555 (5-channel fixed output) ($53 +$8 crystal)
$63 = Hitec Electron 6 ($55 + $8 crystal)

It seems completely silly to buy an FM/PPM receiver that offers no interference rejection and is shift-specific when far better units from highly reputable manufacturers are available for less.