RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

matchbox

Old 12-25-2004, 01:22 AM
rccub
My Feedback: (184)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default matchbox

what exactly is a matchbox, and what does it do. have heard about people using this and was just wondering. thanks
Old 12-25-2004, 02:41 AM
mstroh3961
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: matchbox

Matchboxes are used to synchronize ganged servos. you can match end points and servo travels so they don't fight each other.
Old 12-25-2004, 02:44 AM
bob_nj
My Feedback: (62)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

OK, here is a basic answer to your question. I don't build rockets, and I am not an engineer. If I say something that is not politically correct, it is in ignorance and the lateness of the hour.
Basically what a matchbox does it keep servos from fighting with one another. Especially digitals, who's main purpose in life is to center, and to center accurately and fast.
Let's say that I fly aircraft that are large, and use several servos per surface. That is to mean, two per aileron, two per elevator half, or even three for the rudder.
Let's take the rudder for instance. If you, rccub, were to put three of your favorite digital servos on the rudder of your giant scale cub, what can we expect?
We can expect that you would get all three servo arms as close to 90° with each servo case as you possibly can using just the arms themselves. This would mean that you turn each arm 180° and get is as close as you can to 90.
Then it would mean that you will link each of these arms to themselves with linkages so they can be hooked to the rudder eventually.
Sounds easy so far, right?

The rub is that while you are doing all of this, the servos still want to, "center accurately and fast"
In this process, they will want to fight each other while linked because of differences in geometry, linkage, gear train, servo specs etc.

What the matchbox helps with is keeping the amp draw as low as possible while also accomplishing all of the things above.
It will help to keep each individual servo moving in unison and synchronized with the next servo. It will help keep the amp draw down so your batteries will perform efficiently and as expected and your prized posession will stall gently on the runway.

TaDa, the matchbox_bob

By the way, if yo have enough channels in your rx, the same can be accomplished with mixing. Problem with most rx's to date is that we run out of channels. It's on the horizon though...
Old 12-25-2004, 03:53 AM
Jimmy Bananas
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Have one on my tri-motor bomber..works very good..managed to get my middle and low points all set up...have seperate servos on each engine...will get another one for my C-130...4 engines on that mother...