RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

RD8000-heli mode for plane use?

Old 12-30-2004, 08:48 PM
mrbigg
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RD8000-heli mode for plane use?

is it possible to do this? i want to use the expo that is available in heli mode for the rudder. i tried it tonite on my ultimate by using the model copy feature. when i use the aileron, only one side goes up or down, then when i use the throttle stick, the other side works. i think this because i have one aileron plugged into channel 2 then the other in 6 for flaperons . i think that is the collective pitch for the helis. if i took and unplugged from channel 6, and then hooked into channel 2 with a y-harness, would the ailerons function as normal?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:00 PM
CP140

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: RD8000-heli mode for plane use?

Yes, (I seem to recall this question somewhere before) if you use the heli mode for an airplane you lose the dual aileron servo capability and have to resort to using a Y-cord
Old 12-30-2004, 09:12 PM
mrbigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i could live without the flaperons. i just wanted to make sure before i tore everything apart. thanks. one more thing, do the dual rates on elevator and ail work similar to airplane mode?
Old 12-30-2004, 09:58 PM
CP140

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'm honestly not sure about the dual rates and how they would work in heli mode... I haven't atually tried airplane in heli mode. You might try emailing Airtronics directly and asking them or posting your question n the Airtronics Users group on Yahoo.

I did have one thought though, you should be able to use one of your unused channels to make a mix to your aileron channel and use that for the second aileron servo. You might have to play around with the percentage values (+/-100%) to get the other channel moving in the right direction. The other wrinkle is that I don't think the trim settings from the aileron channel will get carried over to the slave channel.

God Luck!
Old 12-31-2004, 12:05 PM
mrbigg

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

i messed around with it this morning. still have to open the wing up to do the ailerons- i'll do that later and let you know what happens. check this out- when in heli mode, you have 4 flite modes- N,1,2, and 3. in each of these modes you can set dual rate and expo, giving you 4 different rates. most people would probaly use 3- low, high, and 3D. i set the rudder up like this- flite mode N is 50% dualrate and 50% expo. then i used flitemode 3 for 100% rate and 100% expo. this looks good on the ground, of course i'll have to check it out in the air when it warms up a little. one other thing- when in heli mode, your retract switch (left top, 2 position toggle) beomes the flite mode 3 switch. then the flap switch (right top, 3 position toggle) becomes the N,1, and 2 selector.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:15 PM
bigbri
My Feedback: (287)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I did the same thing myself with an RD6000 super.....CP140 is correct, use another channel and slave it into the aileron for duel aileron servos. Airtronics really missed the boat on that series of radios by leaving out expo on the rudder in airplane mode.....I really do not understand why they did that. .......With 3-D so popular, expo on the rudder should be considered manditory on any quality computer radio ! I considered the RD 8000 when it was introduced, but realized they had made the same "mistake" so ended up upgrading to a Futaba 9-C.....anyhoo it will work, but you do loose many abilities of the radio
Best
Brian