Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Why is the 9Z better?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2004, 01:55 AM
Andy540T
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is the 9Z better?

I was wondering how much better is the 9Z WCII over the 9CAP? Is it really worth the extra $$$$ and why?
Old 12-31-2004, 10:02 AM
LSP972
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why is the 9Z better?

Worth is relative. There are numerous 9cs at my field, and all but few of those guys say they would never pay the extra $$ for a 9Z. Of course, some of them also initially said they would never buy a computer radio, period...

You simply must decide if the added flexibility and features of the 9Z are worth it to you. They were to me. While I would probably be happy with a 9C, the 9Z has several features the 9C doesn't, and one is very important to me. That is the way the trainer function works. I do some buddy-boxing from time to time, and the 9Z's trainer function is unique in the industry. It allows you (the master box) to override the student WITHOUT flipping or releasing a switch; when a master control input is made, it overrides the student's control, but only while the input is actually being made. Once the correction is over, control reverts to the student. This is an extremely seamless system that eliminates switch-flipping and anxiety in general during the training process.

To be frank, the 9C has more 'stuff' than most modelers will ever use. Only one of the several guys I know using the 9C has run up against a limitation in the radio, and that one was a lack of free mixers. The 9C has only three of these; he needed a fourth. The 9Z has five dedicated and five free mixers; and the dedicated mixers can be changed to suit.

I could go on, but you get the idea. And the 9Z's tachometer is pretty cool, too. I use that quite a bit. The 9Z's only real weak point is its antenna.

A great radio, one that I sincerely hope Futaba does not unceremoniously dump now that the new 14MZ radio/boom box rig is out...[&o]
Old 12-31-2004, 12:15 PM
hankpajari
My Feedback: (1)

I agree. I have 2 WCII's and like them both. Would I be happy with a 9C? I believe so but I went with the 9Z because I ran into limitations with a T6XAS and decided that for the extra money I wouldn't take any more chances. The 9Z is much more radio than I will ever use but like the saying goes "If some is good, and more is better, then too much is just right"!

I have no regrets in spending twice the cost since I don't change radios every year. I was flying Futaba 7 channel non computer radios up until last year. I bought those in the 80's when they were state of the art.

I don't believe that Futaba will discontinue the 9Z. The 14Z is just too expensive and the market is very limited, IMHO. Guys looking to move up will find the $900 for a 9Z to be much more palatable when compared to the $2K for a 14Z. Actually, the market for a 9Z could get bigger!

Just my .02.

BTW I have an excellent 9Z WCI I will be selling if anyone is interested
Old 12-31-2004, 12:49 PM
rajul
My Feedback: (58)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a couple of questions: When was the WC2 released into the market ? What's the diff between WC1 and WC2 ? Thanks !
Old 12-31-2004, 02:21 PM
hankpajari

I think the WCII has been out for 3 or 4 years. The only difference between the I and II is that there are a couple more 3 position switches in place of 2 position switches, the II is supposedly more sensitive around center when using digital servos (I can't tell the difference and at my age it probably is more of a hindrance than a help[]), and the trim on the xmiter is blue instead of gold and black.

For all intents and purposes there isn't any difference between the two.
Old 12-31-2004, 10:48 PM
sfsjkid

I have both the 9C and 9Z and have to admit that it is difficult to justify the cost of the 9Z from a dollar/feature stand point, especially since the C would take care of 90% of the average modeller's needs. Talking TX only prices with modules, the 9C is approximately $300, the 9Z $900, I'll have to admit that the 9Z is not $600 worth better. However, my 9C has been relegated to use as a secondary radio and would not part with the Z. Here are my personal likes and dislikes on the 2.

9Z Pros
-I don't feel the difference so much in my planes, but due the the higher update rates of the Z, my helicopter is extremely responsive to stick movements, and feels like it is on rails. The C on the same heli and approximately the same settings, feels like mush, and is harder to fly.
-Frequency synthesizer allows me to pretty much avoid any comflicts at the field.
-Better switch assignability, and even the ability to cross trims (ie having the aileron trim in the traditional rudder position, thus avoiding the need to take ones finger off the stick to trim aileron for example)
-Pretty much unlimited number of flight conditions for a particular model
-Stronger mixing and programing capabilities.
-Tach and voltmeter (for both TX and RX) built in.
-13 point throttle curves
9Z Cons
-User unfriendly menus, abbreviations such as ATV, CUT are easy to understand but try STM, PMX somewhat criptic until you work with the radio. Additionally, menus could be better organized.
-Synthesizer signal is not compatible with some aftermarket RX's such as FMA.
-Transmit time somewhat short with the stock battery pack. Easily corrected with aftermarket NiMh batteries.
-Trainer function, see the 9C section for details.

9C Pros
-Very good value for money. 90% of the features most modelers need at approximately 1/3 the cost.
-Very easy to understand menu system.
-Unique trainer system. As long as the trims on the buddy box are centered, the only thing one has to worry about is servo direction. The rates, limits and mixes on the 9C master are used regardless of the buddy box. I am one of the instructors in our club, and have to say this feature would save countless hours matching throws and trimming. I wish all newbies could start with this radio.
-Can use both 9Z and 9C TX modules.
9C Cons
-Slower refresh rates.
-Synthesizer is supposedly coming out for this model, but has been delayed for approximately 2 years. Even when available, it will not be menu driven like the Z, one must turn knobs in the back.

I'm sure I've forgotten something but these are the things that came to mind readily. Someone mentioned that worth is relative and would have to agree. I think you'll be happy with either.
Old 12-31-2004, 11:26 PM
Andy540T
My Feedback: (9)

Thank you all for the responses, I should have mentioned that I already own a 9C and I have been looking into the 9Z and just can't figure out how much better of a transmitter the Z is. I have also been thinking about a JR10X, but since I have been flying Futaba for a while now, I really did not want to have to replace all of my receivers for the change. The real deciding factor will be if I truly need more radio than I currently own. Will the 9Z make my scores higher than I could ever attain with my 9C? From what I have read from the replies, it is not likley. This is a purchase I think can wait until there is a much greater need.

Thank you all again.
Old 01-01-2005, 12:17 AM
xcellheli

Andy 540T,

The primary advantage to the 9Z is the capability to program many flight conditions for each model. For each and every flight condition all of the parameters can be changed, such as ATV, Expo, Subtrim, trim, mixes, etc.. This allows true competitors the capability to set up conditions for rolling circles, then flip a switch and have all the setting perfected for knife edge, etc.. This can greatly improve the competiveness of a flyer that takes the time to dial in each of the flight conditions. Some of these things can be faked on the 9C by using dual rates and putting mixes on switches, but it still doesn't compare to true flight conditions. That is truley what you are paying for.
Old 01-02-2005, 09:43 AM
Panzlflyer
My Feedback: (15)

Until you try conditions you dont know what your missing!!!