Community
Search
Notices
RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

JLine Quattro help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2004, 04:42 PM
meowy84

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default JLine Quattro help!

This might be long so bare with me. I just bought a brand new JLine Quattro airplane radio system (channel 41, 72.610 freq.) with a JR slimline 7 channel receiver, 4 servos, Tx battery and charger.

These are my questions:
(1). Is this a good radio for a beginner? (I'm particularly concerned about interference, although I know that I'm probably a bigger enemy and will crash the plane before the radio gives me any intereference trouble, LOL)
(2). Is there anywhere that I can get a manual for this radio or download a manual? (I bought this radio from a guy who bought a ready to fly plane and it came with it, but he ended up wanting to use his own radio and flight pack and so there's no manual).
(3). How long should I charge the Tx battery? Right now it's dead and it's never been charged before. Any tips on cycling? (that's why I'm looking for the manual).
(4). I need to get a batery for the receiver. Any suggestions? (what plug does JR use...are they Futaba compatible plugs?).
(5).Is the Tx battery removable? I see a tiny white clip attached to a circuit board in the battery compartment and don't want to touch and use brute force to take the battery out. Does the connector just pull out or are there clips that I have to press on to remove the battery?

Thanks for the help in advance.
Old 01-01-2005, 09:21 PM
meowy84

Default RE: JLine Quattro help!

Come on guys, how about some info? Pwweease!!!!
Old 01-01-2005, 11:19 PM
sslayman
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

meowy84

(1). Is this a good radio for a beginner? (I'm particularly concerned about interference, although I know that I'm probably a bigger enemy and will crash the plane before the radio gives me any intereference trouble, LOL)

Yes, as long as you don't feel the need for a computer radio. I don't have any at this moment but it's not to far into the future for one. Interference is something you'll just have to deal with. Find local flyers in your area and ask them what kinds of problems they've had and if certain freq's are worse than others to be on (hopefully the radio you have won't be on any trouble freq's, if any).

(2). Is there anywhere that I can get a manual for this radio or download a manual? (I bought this radio from a guy who bought a ready to fly plane and it came with it, but he ended up wanting to use his own radio and flight pack and so there's no manual).

Yes. Horizon Hobby, Inc.
http://horizonhobby.com/
Got to support and look for JR items and look up Quattro and you'll find the manual. It's in PDF format so you'll need Adobe Acrobat Reader. It's an EZ download from their site if you don't already have it (well that's if you have a fast internet connection!).

(3). How long should I charge the Tx battery? Right now it's dead and it's never been charged before. Any tips on cycling? (that's why I'm looking for the manual).

14-16 hours before use. After that 10-12 should be exceptable.

(4). I need to get a batery for the receiver. Any suggestions? (what plug does JR use...are they Futaba compatible plugs?).

Why not just get a JR battery from Horizon. Same connector and your done. JR uses the same connector as Hitec, Airtronics (New Z connector) and others. Futaba uses a connector that looks similar but it has a tab on it. It would fit after shaving off the polarity tab.

(5).Is the Tx battery removable? I see a tiny white clip attached to a circuit board in the battery compartment and don't want to touch and use brute force to take the battery out. Does the connector just pull out or are there clips that I have to press on to remove the battery?

I would say yes, but why do you want to remove it. You can charge it while it's still in the TX. There is a charge plug somewhere on the TX case.

All the JR's I've had have always been super (that is until you drive them into asphalt from 100 feet). You can't go wrong in my opinion with the radio. Good luck with it.

Later...

Scott!
Old 01-02-2005, 12:10 AM
meowy84

Scott, thanks so much for your info. To answer some of the issues you raised:

Wanted to know how to remove the Tx battery in case I'd like to get a replacement if it goes dead or just to have a spare. Personally I prefer the 8AA cell setup that go into a trey and can be charged externally (I guess it's just a vestigial preference from when I used to run cars). I'm not too fond of the single battery pack that are so common today.

Now for the Rx battery...any tips on the mAh rating, brand, etc? I foresee on using only 3 servos to start with (throttle/rudder and elevator).

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2005, 10:51 AM
sslayman
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

meowy84,
I'd say that the regular standard flight pack would be OK. It's a 600mah or 700mah battery. This doesn't mean you can't go with a bigger mah battery. I'm using an 1800mah NiMH in mine. Do a Google battery search or just look on this site and you'll find several battery makers that have allot to choose from. BTW, the AA pop in battery packs for surface vehicals has been OK for years, but it's been a no-no for aircraft TX's. While I've not had any TX's with single pop in battery pack holders, I can't say that it's not a good idea. I see that GWS and several others do use the pop in battery holders in their TX and they must have no problem out of them.

Later...

Scott!
Old 01-02-2005, 08:16 PM
meowy84

Scott, thanks for the info (again! ) As for the battery treys, I think the pop-out trey is a better idea because you can have 2 treys both containing 8AA rechargeable betteries and you can switch them so as to always have a Tx pack that is maximally charged, and have one set of AA's charging while you're flying with the other without 'tying-up' your Tx. This is just my suspicious nature but I think that many radio manufacturers go for the single Tx battery pack out of pure greed for profit. You can get AA batteries anywhere for cheap whereas the single pack is a more specialized (and so more costly) item. A friend of mines battery pack once fell out when he opened the bottom Tx cover and it ripped the leads off necessitating some very careful and annoying re-soldering. Nothing like that would ever happen with a trey. For these and many other reasons I just think that treys are more versatile all around, in my opinion anyways.